Reason featured on Youtuber video.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
earwig83

24 Mar 2022

I was excited to see reason showcased in one of my favourite new youtube channels called Mac Address, an offshoot channel of Linus Tech Tips. Sadly, Reason chokes hilariously on the new mac M1. Not a good look for the Macbook pro or Reason. I don't personally have these issues since I use a mega PC computer but just thought it was fitting that the great macbook pro and reason 12 could not do the job they are expected to do for this musician. Now of course, he could just have a poor working method. It's up for discussion or debate.

My perspective is that I love reason because it is the one that clicked with me young. Other than that, I think it needs a lot of work still in many ways. Other programs are so much more efficient in every imaginable way. What keeps me sticking to reason is the fun factor and familiarity of it. That won't change for me, pending RS doesn't screw up on R13 or impose stupid subscription models as the only option.

Also for all we know, his issues lay with his audio interface etc.

Neo

24 Mar 2022

Cheers for the share 83. My Intel is holding out for the moment..
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

QVprod

24 Mar 2022

Wow... that's really bad. I've heard other mention bad performance here. so it may really be a software issue. But also keep in mind he's on R11

thedude

25 Mar 2022

its incredibly likely it is due to 'use multi core rendering' and/or 'use hyper threading audio rendering' being checked in the audio preferences. once i unchecked on an M1, my problems disappeared.

LaudusDeWire

25 Mar 2022

thedude wrote:
25 Mar 2022
its incredibly likely it is due to 'use multi core rendering' and/or 'use hyper threading audio rendering' being checked in the audio preferences. once i unchecked on an M1, my problems disappeared.
good advice :thumbup: Same here with DUNE VST Synth.
Soundcloud

:reason: R12 | 🎹 Sequential Pro 3 | 🥁 Arturia Drum Brute Impact | 🎛 Synapse Dune 3

Loque

25 Mar 2022

thedude wrote:
25 Mar 2022
I dont have a mac, but i noticed, than if i use VSTs, that control multic core rendering by themselfs, that can interact with the multicore rendering from the host DAW. In that case, it can help to disable it in the DAW or in the VST.

Also, some older CPUs get worse, if you enable Hyper Threading, because all that weird shared access to resources and stuff. But this guy had disabled it, which also can be a problem with more modern CPUs, thus you dont use the full power of your machine.

And last but not least, if you have a CPU heavy signal chain, all is synced to that chain, that means, if this chain is ot ready, all others have to wait. Some ppl ar not aware of that and think, their gazillion core CPU is not good utiliazed...

So, in the end, always check for yourself, have some clue what is going on on the system, and than make a assumption on performance...
Reason12, Win10

earwig83

26 Mar 2022

thedude wrote:
25 Mar 2022
good point. I myself have to turn it off on PC for the occasional pop sound.

joeyluck

26 Mar 2022

thedude wrote:
25 Mar 2022
Yep it could likely be that too.

People can argue about Intel vs. M1 all day, but an older mac versus an M1? Something else is going on there.

thedude

26 Mar 2022

I can't remember if I posted this here or elsewhere too, but...I also did beta testing for UHE synths when they went M1 Native last summer or so. Urs and one of the other devs had noted to NOT turn on the multicore function button when using the new builds since it gave worse performance.

I am not sure what effect this ARM/silicon native stuff has on DSP or compiling, but apparently it's been giving quite a few companies headaches. For instance, Roland Cloud synths STILL have an issue where 1 core/thread spikes to 100% at all times and causes havoc. This has been for at least a year, and still not fixed (on m1 macs.) I opened a ticket and they admitted they have no idea what's going on, and that they are getting multiple reports for that.

It's frustrating that this stuff happens, but the good thing is that I haven't had any issues where I just straight up couldn't get something done. Hopefully this is all addressed with the native build of reason; it shouldn't be up to a user to dig into why their software doesn't work - it should just work.

kitekrazy

27 Mar 2022

earwig83 wrote:
24 Mar 2022

I was excited to see reason showcased in one of my favourite new youtube channels called Mac Address, an offshoot channel of Linus Tech Tips. Sadly, Reason chokes hilariously on the new mac M1. Not a good look for the Macbook pro or Reason. I don't personally have these issues since I use a mega PC computer but just thought it was fitting that the great macbook pro and reason 12 could not do the job they are expected to do for this musician. Now of course, he could just have a poor working method. It's up for discussion or debate.

My perspective is that I love reason because it is the one that clicked with me young. Other than that, I think it needs a lot of work still in many ways. Other programs are so much more efficient in every imaginable way. What keeps me sticking to reason is the fun factor and familiarity of it. That won't change for me, pending RS doesn't screw up on R13 or impose stupid subscription models as the only option.

Also for all we know, his issues lay with his audio interface etc.
Then you test that with another DAW. There could be many reasons but often the DAW gets the blame. I've had 3rd party plugins that don't get along with certain DAWs.
I would imagine that many developers don't have all of the bugs for M1 ironed out yet. They release them anyway.

• Information