I see that native M1 support has been pushed out to some time in 2022

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
npinero1

23 Apr 2022

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you should have the same activity monitor viewer. It's a separate window within activity monitor app under the "window" menu>CPU usage (command+2)
[/quote]

Yeah but I only have 10 cores and you have 20. I wonder if core count or memory play a larger role for VSTs.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

Re8et
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2022

One month with the M1 mini here.
I'm running on the M1 mini 8gig a nice project, I had all day to experiment this time I wanted to push it.

Running Reason 11S.

32 channels, 8 return fx with combi RE heavy effects ( PSQ, Fritz, Ozone Maximizer, Ruina, Reverbs chains, etc etc )
Multichannel Kong
Blamsoft Exode, St1 speak, Legend.
Ekss Preamp and Master effects
Players all around

5.5gigs of memory used
I can't run the project under 1024 samples or it will stutter at 44.1
All cores actives.

I mean, deactivating Hyper and looking at CPU history graphs it makes no difference at all... It ssems
to me that the M1 is utilizing all cores as if it had set affinity to all cores automatically?
In Reason it makes no difference (yet)

I'm not displeased at all... but I can't see how it could run at lower sample rates...
I still have to try polyphony on really heavy Synths like Viking2...
Exode is in mono at the moment, just a simple Lead.

It's not as snappy as my Win 10 multicore PC yet but looks good.
I found no particular change swapping hyper-threading on or off.
On the Win 10 Hyper=threading is a no-no for live performance.
Guess I have to push it more :)

PS: What it really shines is with the usb drivers. I haven't had a single issue with usb Aggregate Audio devices once.
Reaaly staggering performance on that note. (Roland native M1 drivers, OP-1 no need apparently)
Last edited by Re8et on 24 Apr 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Re8et
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2022

scdave wrote:
21 Apr 2022
Max spec M1 Macbook pro here.

What makes this particularly weird is that even though I can run now Reason at 96khz now, when changing the sample rate down to 44.1 the performance issues are still present. So I'm getting the horsepower of the M1 which means I can now experience errors at a higher resolution lmao.
No issues at 96 but 44.1?? How is that??

stillifegaijin

24 Apr 2022

Re8et wrote:
24 Apr 2022
One month with the M1 mini here.
I'm running on the M1 mini 8gig a nice project, I had all day to experiment this time I wanted to push it.

Running Reason 11S.

32 channels, 8 return fx with combi RE heavy effects ( PSQ, Fritz, Ozone Maximizer, Ruina, Reverbs chains, etc etc )
Multichannel Kong
Blamsoft Exode, St1 speak, Legend.
Ekss Preamp and Master effects
Players all around

5.5gigs of memory used
I can't run the project under 1024 samples or it will stutter at 44.1
All cores actives.

I mean, deactivating Hyper and looking at CPU history graphs it makes no difference at all... It ssems
to me that the M1 is utilizing all cores as if it had set affinity to all cores automatically?
In Reason it makes no difference (yet)

I'm not displeased at all... but I can't see how it could run at lower sample rates...
I still have to try polyphony on really heavy Synths like Viking2...
Exode is in mono at the moment, just a simple Lead.

It's not as snappy as my Win 10 multicore PC yet but looks good.
I found no particular change swapping hyper-threading on or off.
On the Win 10 Hyper=threading is a no-no for live performance.
Guess I have to push it more :)

PS: What it really shines is with the usb drivers. I haven't had a single issue with usb Aggregate Audio devices once.
Reaaly staggering performance on that note. (Roland native M1 drivers, OP-1 no need apparently)
Have you tried turning Multi-Core Audio rendering off? Just curious we all seem to be getting different results - but if I turn Multi-Core off those cores set to affinity drop and it runs much smoother. Wonder if you see any difference?

I also see no difference with Hyper-Threading on or off.

devilfish

26 Sep 2022

Is the year 2022 in the title correct or a typo? There should surely be the year 2023 ??

Grimlucky

27 Sep 2022

Ableton added AUv3 support for M1 Macs as a free update today.

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2022

Native Instrument's Komplete (being released this month) doesn't have complete M1 compatibility.

Heater

27 Sep 2022

Grimlucky wrote:
27 Sep 2022
Ableton added AUv3 support for M1 Macs as a free update today.
That's great news. Thanks.

Mataya

28 Sep 2022

Audacity just been updated with VST3 support. C'mon Reason...

M

jonnyretina

29 Sep 2022

Interestingly I could have sworn Reason Studios had a blog entry up last week saying the MacBook M1 is the best computer to buy to use Reason with. Looks like they've pulled that post now; wonder if they realised it didn't look good saying that, given they're already 4 months overdue on the native M1 support for Reason they promised.

Spells

29 Sep 2022

I just found this thread... I was all set to update my rig. I'm running a monster Win7 rig that's still smooth as silk. But it's ten years old, an old i7 and 64GB RAM.

I was looking at a Mac Studio and going for the Ultra with 128GB RAM, but now I'm seeing that Reason won't work properly on such a rig.

What is the deal here? Will there ever be a point that Reason will run and take advantage of such a setup? Related to the above, does Reason exploit all the cores / in other words, is it an actual advantage to have 20 cores?

jam-s

29 Sep 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
29 Sep 2022
Interestingly I could have sworn Reason Studios had a blog entry up last week saying the MacBook M1 is the best computer to buy to use Reason with. Looks like they've pulled that post now; wonder if they realised it didn't look good saying that, given they're already 4 months overdue on the native M1 support for Reason they promised.
Yes, we talked about it here, but that blog post from RS seems to be gone now.

Last Alternative

29 Sep 2022

RS is a joke
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

EnochLight

30 Sep 2022

Spells wrote:
29 Sep 2022
I just found this thread... I was all set to update my rig. I'm running a monster Win7 rig that's still smooth as silk. But it's ten years old, an old i7 and 64GB RAM.

I was looking at a Mac Studio and going for the Ultra with 128GB RAM, but now I'm seeing that Reason won't work properly on such a rig.

What is the deal here? Will there ever be a point that Reason will run and take advantage of such a setup? Related to the above, does Reason exploit all the cores / in other words, is it an actual advantage to have 20 cores?
Official M1 support is coming after VST3 support (in Reason DAW proper), which they are actively working on right now. Once official M1 support comes, it will certainly take advantage of whatever cores it can.
Last Alternative wrote:
29 Sep 2022
RS is a joke
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kuhliloach

30 Sep 2022

over it! haven't used Reason for anything in over a year. Went to try the RPP yesterday and it just crashed again since I was not in Rosetta mode. What a joke! Asking various vendors for non-Reason versions of these plug-ins. Wish me luck.

Last Alternative

30 Sep 2022

What is Rosetta? Do I need it for Reason to work right on my new MacBook Pro?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

EnochLight

30 Sep 2022

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Grimlucky

04 Oct 2022

88 days left of 2022, I’m excited to see the new roadmap when it comes out 😉

EnochLight

04 Oct 2022

Grimlucky wrote:
04 Oct 2022
88 days left of 2022, I’m excited to see the new roadmap when it comes out 😉
It's certainly been a minute since they published any roadmap updates. Hope they publish one before the end of this year! :thumbup: :clap:

TMT

05 Oct 2022

Very happy to have found this tread, I have read EVERY post.

I have a lot to contribute about these topics at this time, so here goes (sorry it's so long, but I think it's worth it to you):

I have been a LOYAL Reason user since version 4.0, which is what got me back into music again. I have FAITHFULLY upgraded to every version of Reason starting with version 8. So I love Reason. That being said... I have FOREVER battled with stuttering issues, dropouts, glitching audio (yeah... NOT the good kind), not to mention the constant battle of the buffers/sample rates, etc. I've tried building "better" computers, and buying an ever spinning carousel of audio cards / interfaces trying to resolve ALL issues. But I have never, in all these years, reached "flawless audio output nirvana" (at least not for a sustained, consistent period of time).

I finally reached the point where I said, "That does it! I'm going to solve these issues once and for all, no matter what I have to do or the cost I have to incur"! I tried more expensive audio interfaces, got all new audio cables, bought new monitors and an A/V receiver, plus wiping my Windows 10 machine and installing everything fresh and clean. When all of that STILL didn't solve it, I built a massive AMD 3970X THREADRIPPER computer with all NVMe M.2 SSD drives (no platters anywhere), 64 GB of RAM, an nVIDIA 2080 Ti GPU... just a fully maxed out system. Even after all that... still experienced issues!! WTH?!!!!

Finally, I did what all of us musicians like to do... I threw even MORE money at it! I went big league and bought a Universal Audio apollo twin x audio interface! OMG... what a wonderful piece of gear! I can't tell you what an improvement it's been and all the incredible benefits there are to having and using one of these. They're not cheap, but worth every penny! This gave me the most cleanest audio experience so far... but STILL with these same types of issues, just less frequently. But it was getting the UA apollo interface that finally led me to the holy grail of ALWAYS clean audio nirvana, (for which I was beginning to believe didn't exist).

Universal Audio has created their own Recording System (DAW) and it's breathtaking and best of all... it's FREE! It's called LUNA and it is turning the DAW landscape COMPLETELY upside down. The only big downsides are that currently, it is only available for macOS (No Windows... yet) and you have to have a compatible UA audio interface (check for those that are compatible, but even THAT requirement is changing ;) ).

I have already converted a large number of my songs over into LUNA, songs that are HEAVILY Reason Rack and RS VI loaded! ALL OF THE GLITCHINESS, of every kind GONE! And guess what... with an apollo and LUNA... there is no such thing as buffers!!! You never have to mess with buffers again. Plus, the system is sample rate agnostic. So when you change the sample rate, whatever rate you want, everything is at that true sample rate, not some kind of distorted or compressed version, it's just crazy.

So the problem is the Reason code itself, at least that is my assessment based on my experiences and testing, (your experiences may vary).

So the reason I was searching and found this thread is because the one "problem" I have now is that when I open a song file (session) in LUNA, the Reason Rack Plug-ins are REALLY slowing down the opening process to a crawl! So I am hoping and praying a native Apple silicon version of Reason will fix this. LUNA, by the way, just became fully Apple Silicon native, and opening sessions, even some of the gigantic professional sample sessions from Moon Taxi and Cold War Kids, open hellaciously fast!!

Seriously, you have to check out LUNA as it's just so far advanced and BEAUTIFUL compared to ANY and everything that is out there now. You can still use all your Investment in Reason by using multiple instances of the RRP, which is what I've already done a lot of. Check out some of UA's videos about it and those on YouTube. LUNA is FREE, year after year!

https://www.uaudio.com/luna.html

Also, with LUNA for some reason, you get a great sounding mix FAST, and with almost no effort. I don't exactly know why, but all of my songs just sound so much better and fuller in LUNA, a LOT better. So much easier to get rich, full, clean sounding powerful bass and kick, and just everything sounds professional. It will absolutely blow your mind as to just how good it is.

In closing, I'm not a Mac / Apple guy. So I built a Hackintosh to experiment and learn LUNA. I got the same fantastic results on the Hack. I was completely blown away with LUNA and my apollo interface combo... So... after close to two years on the Hack, I pulled the trigger on a new Mac Studio Ultra, 64GB. It's not my main computer, that honor is reserved for my THREADRIPPER. But it IS what I refer to as my MUSIC APPLIANCE; it's just another piece of music gear.

All my issues are now solved. I can just focus on music now... NO techin' or engineering for hours and days on end, as it were. Using the Hack also proved it was NOT the Intel / PC hardware; if you build a good hack, you can have the same experience without having to shell out for a Mac... but... If you're serious... just get a Mac for music. It's worth it.

jonnyretina

06 Oct 2022

TMT wrote:
05 Oct 2022
just get a Mac for music. It's worth it.
If only you'd done that in the beginning you would have found a more stable Reason! In my experiences, over a decade since moving from Windows and ASIO, Core Audio has always proved more robust and resilient when dealing with demanding songs.

Here's hoping Reason Studios don't disappoint and can deliver a native M1 build of Reason sooner rather than later.

selig
RE Developer

06 Oct 2022

Spells wrote:
29 Sep 2022
Wow, I thought my M1 Studio Max with 32GB RAM was overkill for reason. I’m on the edge with my 2014 i7 8GB RAM iMac on some songs but it churns through most songs no problem.
So I would think an Ultra at twice the cost of a Max WOULD be overkill, but would be interested to hear your experiences. I JUST got my Studio Max this week and am still working on a clean install so will start testing this weekend…
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

06 Oct 2022

TMT wrote:
05 Oct 2022
but... If you're serious... just get a Mac for music. It's worth it.
LMAO!!! :lol:

Um, no.

Listen, I’m not suggesting your experience wasn’t authentic, but for chrissake it is absolutely not the norm. Been on the same banged up PC for literally a decade, and aside from Day 1 launch issue performance bugs (that have since been fixed), Reason 12 runs fine on my PC. So for everyone - please don’t go “buy a Mac”. And saying that’s a qualifier for being “serious” about your music, well - that’s just silly talk.

That said, I’ll take my RME Babyface Pro to the grave. I do agree a solid, high quality audio interface is half the battle.

selig
RE Developer

06 Oct 2022

jonnyretina wrote:
06 Oct 2022
TMT wrote:
05 Oct 2022
just get a Mac for music. It's worth it.
If only you'd done that in the beginning you would have found a more stable Reason! In my experiences, over a decade since moving from Windows and ASIO, Core Audio has always proved more robust and resilient when dealing with demanding songs.

Here's hoping Reason Studios don't disappoint and can deliver a native M1 build of Reason sooner rather than later.
Was going to say the same, at least in my experience running Reason on Mac OS during the same time period I relied totally on Reason with little to no issues with audio playback.
I’m another LUNA fan myself for the past two months or so after getting Apollo interfaces. One note (@TMT): Reason has also been sample rate agnostic since adding audio, so I’m right at home in LUNA!
I’m not leaving Reason any time soon, still the best app to start songs with (don’t see me building songs from scratch in LUNA but you never know).
Selig Audio, LLC

npinero1

06 Oct 2022

I concur with the Mac experience. I have a MacBook Pro M1 Pro and it works really well with Reason. I would still want M1 optimization, but so far I have been working fine at a 512, sometimes 256 buffer since getting the Mac.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

• Information