Reason 12.2.5 Released

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
plaamook

21 Mar 2022

I'm just... whelmed... Not over or under as such. I'm happy to see progress even if it's mostly under the hood for me (an assumption).
For the peeps that really had probs with the browser (I'm not one of em) I assume this is important but the main bugs my end still aren't getting addressed. Like crashing Mimic with large files or the STILL jittery 80% graphics in OSX or the graphics jitter when slicing audio clips...these are the things that really stand out my end. They seem to have fixed the automation vector disappearance bug which is good.
We'll get there I guess but to have a new flagship sampler that STILL crashes after 5 point updates...
Anyway they read these threads so I'm gonna post a little gripe. Sorry, but I paid for my upgrade too, eh?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Stamatz

21 Mar 2022

That artifact is gone once you close or X the browser search.
orthodox wrote:
21 Mar 2022
honeyBadger wrote:
21 Mar 2022
Anybody get weird redraw artifacts in the sequencer instrument names area when changing global shuffle in regroove?
I'm having it.

Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

honeyBadger

21 Mar 2022

Heigen5 wrote:
21 Mar 2022
Does changing the zoom to something else and then back to what it was fix any of the artifacts for you?
A variety of actions will fix it, closing things, clicking on the track name, but it will revert back and forth. It seems harmless, odd, but harmless.

PhillipOrdonez

21 Mar 2022

Nice work, Reason Studios!

chrischrischris

21 Mar 2022

chrischrischris wrote:
21 Mar 2022
Is anyone else having the issue

Volume control for metronome missing

Still functions but is invisible!

also the automation lanes when not folded are also invisible again functioning sort of but invisible

also missing some drawings of waveform
B7CBD9B4-847B-4FE0-B854-DA1C8C958F15.jpeg
B7CBD9B4-847B-4FE0-B854-DA1C8C958F15.jpeg (899.01 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Attachments
F79F2C96-9C93-41CD-83B2-6CF9AC686221.jpeg
F79F2C96-9C93-41CD-83B2-6CF9AC686221.jpeg (885.86 KiB) Viewed 2529 times

Heigen5

21 Mar 2022

honeyBadger wrote:
21 Mar 2022
Heigen5 wrote:
21 Mar 2022
Does changing the zoom to something else and then back to what it was fix any of the artifacts for you?
A variety of actions will fix it, closing things, clicking on the track name, but it will revert back and forth. It seems harmless, odd, but harmless.
Alright. Well, I guess they eventually will be all fixed - I think the more people betatest it, the faster they'll be fixed.

manisnotabird

21 Mar 2022

Not sure exactly what part of the update caused this change, but I'm happy to report than the Photosounder SpiralCM visualizer plugin is again working. (It had before just been opening an entirely black VST window).

Tinnitus

21 Mar 2022

2 bugs I have not seen before when using 12.4.x:

BUG REPORT: Right clicking on a sample and then not selecting anything from the menu by clicking off onto the sequencer behind, gives an error.
12.5.1 error right click error part 1.JPG
12.5.1 error right click error part 1.JPG (65.1 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
12.5.1 error right click error part 2.JPG
12.5.1 error right click error part 2.JPG (45.34 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
BUG REPORT: Through setting up bassline gen, I managed to get Reason to throw this error (I am not sure of the repeatable steps and have as, of yet, not seen this error again)
12.5.1 bassline gen 1..JPG
12.5.1 bassline gen 1..JPG (23.55 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
positives: Browser performance is again a step up (thanks) and have not seen grinding to a halt (possible memory leaks) requiring a close and reopen either.
Last edited by Tinnitus on 21 Mar 2022, edited 5 times in total.

pushedbutton

21 Mar 2022

Gotta give props where it's due, this is better.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

moofi

21 Mar 2022

I have seen it :-) It remembers the state even when closing and re-opening Reason.
MrFigg wrote:
21 Mar 2022
I’ll believe that browser fold bug is fixed when I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

deeplink
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2022

I've had Robotic Bean Sequencer stop working and throw an unknown hardware exception. Looking at Tinnitus post above, I'm wondering if there is an issue in this release with Players?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

crimsonwarlock

22 Mar 2022

Tinnitus wrote:
21 Mar 2022
BUG REPORT: Right clicking on a sample and then not selecting anything from the menu by clicking off onto the sequencer behind, gives an error.
Working without a problem here.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

buddard
RE Developer

22 Mar 2022

Tinnitus wrote:
21 Mar 2022
BUG REPORT: Through setting up bassline gen, I managed to get Reason to throw this error (I am not sure of the repeatable steps and have as, of yet, not seen this error again)
deeplink wrote:
21 Mar 2022
I've had Robotic Bean Sequencer stop working and throw an unknown hardware exception. Looking at Tinnitus post above, I'm wondering if there is an issue in this release with Players?
I find this slightly alarming, since I wrote both of these devices....

When did the asserts occur, was it when creating instances of the devices, or during operation? (In the first report it says "setting up bassline gen", but I'm not 100% sure if it means that it happened instantly when creating it, or while moving parameters or something)
Windows or Mac?

deeplink
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2022

buddard wrote:
22 Mar 2022

When did the asserts occur, was it when creating instances of the devices, or during operation? (In the first report it says "setting up bassline gen", but I'm not 100% sure if it means that it happened instantly when creating it, or while moving parameters or something)
Windows or Mac?
In my case, it was during operation - it happened a few times actually on this 12.2.5 stable release.
I went back to the beta logging build 12.2.5d138 and try to reproduce it.. with no avail.
I also note I've seen on Facebook that some other user is experiencing hardware exceptions with Mimic.
So it be an issue with the stable build?

Tinnitus

22 Mar 2022

buddard wrote:
22 Mar 2022
Tinnitus wrote:
21 Mar 2022
deeplink wrote:
21 Mar 2022

Windows or Mac?
Hi sorry for the lack of detail. I dragged blg above a uhe VST and then tweaked the default patch. I recall copying it to a new slot but I think it was changing slots ( to 3 I recall) that may have thrown this error. Can't recall 100 pct whether I had tried clicking off onto the sequencer to see if I could repeat the other error I found. Fwiw this was in a song created in the previous 12.4.x but that probably has no bearing on things at all. Error only happened the once. Windows 10. AMD 5600x.
Last edited by Tinnitus on 22 Mar 2022, edited 3 times in total.

buddard
RE Developer

22 Mar 2022

deeplink wrote:
22 Mar 2022
buddard wrote:
22 Mar 2022

Windows or Mac?
In my case, it was during operation - it happened a few times actually on this 12.2.5 stable release.
I went back to the beta logging build 12.2.5d138 and try to reproduce it.. with no avail.
I also note I've seen on Facebook that some other user is experiencing hardware exceptions with Mimic.
So it be an issue with the stable build?
Thanks! And are you on Windows or Mac?

deeplink
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2022

buddard wrote:
22 Mar 2022
Thanks! And are you on Windows or Mac?
Windows 11..

mcatalao
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2022

Billy+ wrote:
21 Mar 2022
(...)
Are they saying they have optimised performance removed the bugs so that R12 is at least on par with R11 ?
I don't think they said it. However, yesterday I loaded a project that maxed at about 59% in Reason 11 and maxed 57% in reason 12 at the same point. The difference is quite small, but this feels like a good improvement, specially if you consider all the stuff they changed with graphics and so on. I still think there's space for improvement, as from 11 to 12 reason stopped using a full core for graphics rendering and outsourced that to the GPU, but still. At least we now have performance at par with 11. I need to do more tests, but i have my time very limited...

Plus, it is rendering Isotope's vst's graphics so smoothly that I think I've never seen it like that!

This short snippet is from a song with 30 to 40 tracks, most of them have processing on the mixer and lots of inserts. Mastering done in the same project, processor maxes at 57% at some points. 3 isotope windows opened and softube tape, quite fluid on the isotope stuff!

Mind that until last version, all my isotope stuff was quite slow and one of the vst's that gave me lots of trouble was Insight (it crashed initial 12 versions!!!).

Billy+

22 Mar 2022

Well I guess that is an improvement, I did read on the latest roadmap that graphics drawing is 5x faster but with the graphics being 5-10 x larger I guess that it kinda nulls the gains but at least it's about the same now :clap:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2022

Well, if you have more resolution and have a 4k monitor, and it has the same audio performance, I don't think it's a null gain. I mean, you passed from ugly images to completely rendered at any resolution, and have no performance difference (assuming it's ok in a 4k monitor). I still use 3x 1080p monitors, so I couldn't say how's it working on a 4k (thought 3 monitors at 1080p is already almost the same amount of pixels, right between a 2k and a 4k).

That being said, what I mean is, same conditions (apart from 110% zoom), near equal performance to R11, and graphics correctly outsourced to the graphics card. IMHO it was a huge endeavor in such a special application with so much legacy stuff!

Billy+

22 Mar 2022

I guess that I was one of those who never considered the interface ugly and although I understand updating the architecture for modern devices I don't spend any time looking at devices.

crimsonwarlock

22 Mar 2022

Billy+ wrote:
22 Mar 2022
I guess that I was one of those who never considered the interface ugly...
I didn't think it was ugly, but I do think it was becoming unusable small on modern hi-def monitors (and I have a few of those). Especially Redrum and Umpf Retro where basically not usable for me in R11.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Billy+

22 Mar 2022

Yeah totally get it but my machines are 100% for Reason standalone (I don't play games) and have been for the last few versions so if I've needed a new screen I've always purchased one that is able to use 1920x1080 resolution so it's not really an issue for me but I was looking for a laptop recently and with the smaller screens running higher resolutions I guess being able zoom is probably helpful.

RS has definitely been implemented a lot of architectural changes over the years (audio engine, RRP, graphics engine) so will they start giving the sequencer a bit more love in the next major?

I certainly hope they do, obviously vst3 and silicon support is still to come but maybe they will be able to find the time to add more to the main sequencer in the next year or two.

Pepin

22 Mar 2022

I'm noticing cut off text on Proton with this update (at all zoom levels):
Proton.png
Proton.png (367.07 KiB) Viewed 1944 times

Pepin

22 Mar 2022

orthodox wrote:
21 Mar 2022
honeyBadger wrote:
21 Mar 2022
Anybody get weird redraw artifacts in the sequencer instrument names area when changing global shuffle in regroove?
I'm having it.
Seeing it here too. Clicking in the empty space under the tracks (under "Add Track") seems to fix it, though it gets triggered frequently by various actions.

Small price to pay for the browser collapse fix, I suppose :puf_smile:

• Information