Copy/Paste functionality of The Echo's dry/wet knob

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
challism

17 Mar 2022

Has The Echo always been this way? When I copy/paste the patch, the dry/wet knob isn't affected.

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

eXode

17 Mar 2022

Yes, as far as I remember.

buddard
RE Developer

17 Mar 2022

This is because the state of Dry/Wet is not saved as part of the patch, it's only saved in the song or combinator.
The idea is that you should be able to browse through different patches without affecting the Dry/Wet which you probably set differently depending on whether you're using it as an insert or send effect.

deeplink
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2022

Same with RV7000 I believe
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

challism

17 Mar 2022

buddard wrote:
17 Mar 2022
This is because the state of Dry/Wet is not saved as part of the patch, it's only saved in the song or combinator.
The idea is that you should be able to browse through different patches without affecting the Dry/Wet which you probably set differently depending on whether you're using it as an insert or send effect.
Makes sense. Yeah, ok... nothing to see here folks... issue resolved. :)

challism

04 Apr 2022

buddard wrote:
17 Mar 2022
Issue kind of reopened... I find it curious that the wet/dry knob's state is savable on Rotor, Synchronous, Pulveriser, Alligator, Sweeper and Quartet (but not on Echo); if I'm not mistaken, all these devices were built with the RE SDK. I'm able to copy/paste a patch on each of these devices and the wet/dry knob will match. I've also tested a number of REs with patch-saving capability and wet/dry knobs, and they are all able to copy/paste/save the state of the wet/dry knob. So, I'm still curious why this functionality is missing from Echo and RV7000.

Loque

04 Apr 2022

Its a decision of the developer of its part of the patch and can be copied.

At the point RS provides control locking, this is obsolete.
Reason12, Win10

buddard
RE Developer

05 Apr 2022

challism wrote:
04 Apr 2022
buddard wrote:
17 Mar 2022
Issue kind of reopened... I find it curious that the wet/dry knob's state is savable on Rotor, Synchronous, Pulveriser, Alligator, Sweeper and Quartet (but not on Echo); if I'm not mistaken, all these devices were built with the RE SDK. I'm able to copy/paste a patch on each of these devices and the wet/dry knob will match. I've also tested a number of REs with patch-saving capability and wet/dry knobs, and they are all able to copy/paste/save the state of the wet/dry knob. So, I'm still curious why this functionality is missing from Echo and RV7000.
The persistence behavior of each property is decided by the RE Developer.

To make Dry/Wet properties song persistent rather than patch persistent is an explicit recommendation in the SDK docs:
Tip!
You use the persistence flag to specify whether properties in the document owner scope should be saved to patches and/or documents. Set this flag to "song" for Dry/Wet knobs on effects! This will store the Dry/Wet setting in songs, but not in patches.
Why RS didn’t consistently follow their own recommendation here is anyone’s guess. :puf_smile:

challism

05 Apr 2022

buddard wrote:
05 Apr 2022
challism wrote:
04 Apr 2022

The persistence behavior of each property is decided by the RE Developer.

To make Dry/Wet properties song persistent rather than patch persistent is an explicit recommendation in the SDK docs:
Tip!
You use the persistence flag to specify whether properties in the document owner scope should be saved to patches and/or documents. Set this flag to "song" for Dry/Wet knobs on effects! This will store the Dry/Wet setting in songs, but not in patches.
Why RS didn’t consistently follow their own recommendation here is anyone’s guess. :puf_smile:
Gotcha, it was just a recommendation in the SDK. I misunderstood and thought wasn't a saved parameter in the patch itself. I agree that NOT saving the wet/dry knob value makes sense; it kind of give me 1st world problems when I'm going thru patches and have to keep adjusting the wet/dry knob.

Tweak

05 Apr 2022

The inconsistent behaviour of things like wet/dry knobs across devices is part of the reason I requested parameter locking for patch browsing:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7527234

Something which could be achieved across all REs from what I can tell.

• Information