What's Reason's compatibility with Pen Tablets

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deeplink
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2022

Hi RT

I'm looking into a device like Wacom Pen Tablet to replace the mouse - is there any compatibility issues with this device with Reason?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Jagwah

17 Mar 2022

deeplink wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2022
Hi RT

I'm looking into a device like Wacom Pen Tablet to replace the mouse - is there any compatibility issues with this device with Reason?
Take a look at XP-Pen, I would go through them and it's probably less than half the asking price of Wacom - for no reason. :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Jagwah on 17 Mar 2022, edited 2 times in total.

Karim
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2022

I just plugged in my wacom just for fun (with Imac) and it works great :puf_wink:
Attachments
Wacom Reason 2022-03-17 11.12.23.jpg
Wacom Reason 2022-03-17 11.12.23.jpg (108.24 KiB) Viewed 7235 times
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12 ο£Ώ IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

polysix

17 Mar 2022

If you like DAW on Tablet take a look at bitwig (and use reason as vst plugin).. It is soooo nice and feels like a big hardware production system.

PhillipOrdonez

17 Mar 2022

Interesting, so you use the pen instead of a mouse. But you don't see anything on the surface of the "tablet" though, right? Does it basically do the same as you would on a laptop track pad, except with a pen instead of the fingers?

I've been thinking of replacing the mouse with something else. The trackball seemed interesting and now this... πŸ€” Wonder which would be the best?!

Karim
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2022

Correct. The moment you plug the wacom to your computer, it just replaces the mouse pointer. I have producer friends who prefer the pen to the mouse but I can't find any benefit in this I'm still old school :D
PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
17 Mar 2022
Interesting, so you use the pen instead of a mouse. But you don't see anything on the surface of the "tablet" though, right? Does it basically do the same as you would on a laptop track pad, except with a pen instead of the fingers?

I've been thinking of replacing the mouse with something else. The trackball seemed interesting and now this... πŸ€” Wonder which would be the best?!
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12 ο£Ώ IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

PhillipOrdonez

16 Aug 2023

17 Mar 2022
Hi RT

Did you try this out? I've ordered one, waiting for its arrival. Really hoping it will help ease the wrist/forearm/hand pain. Been using standing mouse for a few years and it did help a lot but it became unbearable at some point, so I got a trackball, which I use alternatively with the standing mouse. The issues got worse, so I started looking at the Wacom tablets and ordered an Intuos pro. Will report back after a few weeks of use. Meanwhile, anyone here uses something similar with reason/Ableton live? How's the ergonomics and usability with the daw? I'm excited about getting a lot more buttons to assign as well πŸ˜‰

deeplink
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2023

16 Aug 2023
17 Mar 2022
Hi RT

Did you try this out? I've ordered one, waiting for its arrival. Really hoping it will help ease the wrist/forearm/hand pain. Been using standing mouse for a few years and it did help a lot but it became unbearable at some point, so I got a trackball, which I use alternatively with the standing mouse. The issues got worse, so I started looking at the Wacom tablets and ordered an Intuos pro. Will report back after a few weeks of use. Meanwhile, anyone here uses something similar with reason/Ableton live? How's the ergonomics and usability with the daw? I'm excited about getting a lot more buttons to assign as well πŸ˜‰
I didn't I'm afraid. I actually settled on getting the Microsoft Surface Dial (Windows only). There's additional (paid) software that customizes it so it acts like a mouse (instead of scrollwheel) for Windows.

It worked really well for adjusting knobs and faders with the left hand, while the mouse sits on the right hand pointing and clicking.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

ambi

16 Aug 2023

I have an Intuos Pro. It's very good for drawing but for navigating other programs, which is possible of course, I prefer a mouse and would not recommend it as a mouse replacement.

PhillipOrdonez

16 Aug 2023

16 Aug 2023
16 Aug 2023

I didn't I'm afraid. I actually settled on getting the Microsoft Surface Dial (Windows only). There's additional (paid) software that customizes it so it acts like a mouse (instead of scrollwheel) for Windows.

It worked really well for adjusting knobs and faders with the left hand, while the mouse sits on the right hand pointing and clicking.
That one looks interesting. Do you still use it?

PhillipOrdonez

16 Aug 2023

ambi wrote: ↑
16 Aug 2023
I have an Intuos Pro. It's very good for drawing but for navigating other programs, which is possible of course, I prefer a mouse and would not recommend it as a mouse replacement.
Oh no Ambi, really? I was hoping it will be a better way for me to work 😞

ambi

16 Aug 2023

16 Aug 2023
16 Aug 2023
Maybe it's just a matter of taste and you will like it.

PhillipOrdonez

16 Aug 2023

16 Aug 2023
16 Aug 2023

Maybe it's just a matter of taste and you will like it.
Yeah. I can adapt, and as long as the pain goes away I'll be fine.

bxbrkrz

16 Aug 2023

16 Aug 2023
17 Mar 2022
Hi RT

https://estore.wacom.com/en-us/wacom-pe ... 22213.html
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

StephenHutchinson

16 Aug 2023

16 Aug 2023
17 Mar 2022
Hi RT

I mainly use my Wacom tablet for Photoshop but I do use it in Reason, Live, and Bitwig as well... it's sitting on my desk in front of a small M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 so why not use it. I find that I'm more accurate with moving dials and buttons and stuff than with the mouse.... my setup:

Reason with Wacom Tablet & Pen.jpg
Reason with Wacom Tablet & Pen.jpg (692.32 KiB) Viewed 6654 times
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

dioxide

17 Aug 2023

I use a Wacom tablet with Reason and it works fine. The only thing I'd say is that the wireless Bluetooth mode has noticeable latency so I prefer to use it in wired mode. Apart from that it took me a long time to adapt to using a pen controller but now I don't think I could go back.

PhillipOrdonez

17 Aug 2023

StephenHutchinson wrote: ↑
16 Aug 2023
16 Aug 2023

I mainly use my Wacom tablet for Photoshop but I do use it in Reason, Live, and Bitwig as well... it's sitting on my desk in front of a small M-Audio Keystation Mini 32 so why not use it. I find that I'm more accurate with moving dials and buttons and stuff than with the mouse.... my setup:

Reason with Wacom Tablet & Pen.jpg
Nice! Compared to mouse, what percentage do you think you use the tablet over the mouse when doing music work?

PhillipOrdonez

17 Aug 2023

dioxide wrote: ↑
17 Aug 2023
I use a Wacom tablet with Reason and it works fine. The only thing I'd say is that the wireless Bluetooth mode has noticeable latency so I prefer to use it in wired mode. Apart from that it took me a long time to adapt to using a pen controller but now I don't think I could go back.
Exclusively? That's awesome. How's the ergonomics compared to mouse? Yeah I'll definitely use it wired. How long did it take to get comfortable with it?

crimsonwarlock

17 Aug 2023

Because a tablet is calibrated to the resolution of your monitor, it is basically useless with multi-monitor setups. Especially with different resolutions. I tried it but no go for me.
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

PhillipOrdonez

17 Aug 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote: ↑
17 Aug 2023
Because a tablet is calibrated to the resolution of your monitor, it is basically useless with multi-monitor setups. Especially with different resolutions. I tried it but no go for me.
I've seen you can set them to be in a single monitor at a time, and have a toggle button to switch between the monitors, and I imagine the different resolution settings can be applied to each monitor profile, so I'm guessing it can be done.

dioxide

17 Aug 2023

17 Aug 2023
Exclusively? That's awesome. How's the ergonomics compared to mouse? Yeah I'll definitely use it wired. How long did it take to get comfortable with it?
I use it in conjunction with an Apple trackpad. The trackpad is much better for scrolling, panning, zooming etc – although in Reason the zoom is awful. You could probably set up the Wacom to do these things but I'm used to using a laptop and tablet pairing, so when I work on the desktop I want the same experience.

dioxide

17 Aug 2023

17 Aug 2023
That doesn't align with my experience. I've been using mine with a two monitor setup for over a year and haven't had any problems with this. Perhaps OS is a factor but I've never had this problem on any version of MacOS.

crimsonwarlock

17 Aug 2023

17 Aug 2023
I've seen you can set them to be in a single monitor at a time, and have a toggle button to switch between the monitors, and I imagine the different resolution settings can be applied to each monitor profile, so I'm guessing it can be done.
That might be possible. But having to switch between screens would be a total showstopper for me. To be clear, I'm using two trackballs, one on my desk and one on my keyboard stand.
17 Aug 2023
17 Aug 2023
That doesn't align with my experience. I've been using mine with a two monitor setup for over a year and haven't had any problems with this. Perhaps OS is a factor but I've never had this problem on any version of MacOS.
Are your monitors different resolution? I have one 2K screen in landscape mode, one 2K screen in portrait, and a third 4K screen. But I'm on Windows, so maybe it is an OS limitation.
-------
Analog tape β‡’ ESQ1 sequencer board β‡’ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 β‡’ Atari/Cubase β‡’ Cakewalk Sonar β‡’ Orion Pro/Platinum β‡’ Reaper β‡’ Reason DAW.

dioxide

17 Aug 2023

17 Aug 2023
Are your monitors different resolution? I have one 2K screen in landscape mode, one 2K screen in portrait, and a third 4K screen. But I'm on Windows, so maybe it is an OS limitation.
One is 1920 Γ— 1080 in landscape and the other is 2160 Γ— 3840 in portrait.

What do you think of the trackball? I was thinking about trying one a while back. I imagine is good for the timeline and scrolling the Rack.

crimsonwarlock

17 Aug 2023

17 Aug 2023
What do you think of the trackball? I was thinking about trying one a while back. I imagine is good for the timeline and scrolling the Rack.
If you try/get a trackball, get one with a large ball. The one I have, and going from YT videos about music production one of the favorites, is the Kensington Orbit. It has a large ring around the ball for scrolling, which works very nice.

It is this one https://www.kensington.com/p/products/e ... roll-ring/
-------

• Information