James Bernard

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

28 Feb 2022

I was sad to see James go as I'm sure many others were.

I remember he did mention he would be back but after a small Dubspot tutorial I never saw him do anything Reason related.

Just wondering if anyone knows what he is up to these days? Still in the audio world I hope...

bxbrkrz

28 Feb 2022

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Eski

28 Feb 2022

He's still putting out some quality ambient/atmospheric music too.

https://jamesbernard.bandcamp.com/music

arnigretar

28 Feb 2022

Oh yes, indeed. James Bernard is missed. Was a great Propellerhead.
And he is a great musician. Beautiful ambient releases..highly recommended
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

plaamook

28 Feb 2022

arnigretar wrote:
28 Feb 2022
Yeah, no kidding. I never heard his music before this thread.
I sort of figure all those Props types are always into more pop music but what's posted here is really interesting in that 80's Vangelis vibe sort of way.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Jagwah

28 Feb 2022

Eski wrote:
28 Feb 2022
He's still putting out some quality ambient/atmospheric music too.

https://jamesbernard.bandcamp.com/music
Nice thanks for the link!
arnigretar wrote:
28 Feb 2022
Great now I have a bunch of chill stuff when I need it, I wonder what else he has around ;)

Jagwah

28 Feb 2022

bxbrkrz wrote:
28 Feb 2022
Hell yeah it's great to see he is still deep in the game designing and innovating stuff!

plaamook wrote:
28 Feb 2022
I sort of figure all those Props types are always into more pop music but what's posted here is really interesting in that 80's Vangelis vibe sort of way.
Check out the Blade OST credits here for the song 'Playing with Lightning.' https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120611/soundtrack

Really cool, but was quite a while back and I'm sure he's done loads since then.

motuscott

28 Feb 2022

Glory to the digital warriors
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

01 Mar 2022

plaamook wrote:
28 Feb 2022
arnigretar wrote:
28 Feb 2022
Interesting that you think that! Most of us don't make pop. Ludvig plays in several jazz bands, a live electro act and an analog synth quintet, Andreas does experimental electronica, my boss David plays in an Irish folk band, Carl has a successful vaporwave act, and I make ambient electronica, video game soundtracks, doom metal and play in a garage punk band. The list goes on!

I actually keep a Spotify playlist for fun that's music made by employees at Reason Studios, from recent releases to stuff made many many years ago. Only a fraction of things from people comfortable with telling me what they make: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1u65x ... 33fe6047e3

arnigretar

01 Mar 2022

Thanks for the share Mattias. Would love to hear your ambient electronica and video game soundtracks! You have any alias for that?

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

01 Mar 2022

arnigretar wrote:
01 Mar 2022
Thanks for the share Mattias. Would love to hear your ambient electronica and video game soundtracks! You have any alias for that?
Still preparing the first album release, but ambient-ish stuff here:

Game soundtracks is under my name and not often available at streaming, but: https://anosou.com/?page_id=14

plaamook

01 Mar 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
01 Mar 2022
plaamook wrote:
28 Feb 2022

Interesting that you think that! Most of us don't make pop. Ludvig plays in several jazz bands, a live electro act and an analog synth quintet, Andreas does experimental electronica, my boss David plays in an Irish folk band, Carl has a successful vaporwave act, and I make ambient electronica, video game soundtracks, doom metal and play in a garage punk band. The list goes on!

I actually keep a Spotify playlist for fun that's music made by employees at Reason Studios, from recent releases to stuff made many many years ago. Only a fraction of things from people comfortable with telling me what they make: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1u65x ... 33fe6047e3
Wow. Thanks for that. Sorry for the pedestrian assumptions!
I think I get the impression from how Reason is marketed. Though most daws are marketed like that I guess.

Or here.

rootwheel

01 Mar 2022

plaamook wrote:
01 Mar 2022
I think I get the impression from how Reason is marketed. Though most daws are marketed like that I guess.
This is the problem with a lot of music software marketing in general; it's manoeuvred itself into a place where it's totally lost touch with the people it really needs to reach and with the message it really needs to get to them. It's all just one big disingenuous lifestyle showcase now, a race to the bottom featuring dumb 'Instagram influencer' style nonsense and 'click bait' style YouTube thumbnails.

I can understand why the above approach is in vogue but I personally feel it always sells the product short. To me it would make more sense to show why a piece of software is the best choice for the utilitarian and rather unglamorous reality of clicking for hours within it to get actual work done. Or in the very least have two different marketing campaigns; one for the dumb masses/fake wannabes and another for the workhorse people.

arnigretar

01 Mar 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
01 Mar 2022
arnigretar wrote:
01 Mar 2022

Game soundtracks is under my name and not often available at streaming, but: https://anosou.com/?page_id=14
Like this. Thanks for the share!

EnochLight

01 Mar 2022

rootwheel wrote:
01 Mar 2022
plaamook wrote:
01 Mar 2022
This is the problem with a lot of music software marketing in general; it's manoeuvred itself into a place where it's totally lost touch with the people it really needs to reach and with the message it really needs to get to them. It's all just one big disingenuous lifestyle showcase now, a race to the bottom featuring dumb 'Instagram influencer' style nonsense and 'click bait' style YouTube thumbnails.

I can understand why the above approach is in vogue but I personally feel it always sells the product short. To me it would make more sense to show why a piece of software is the best choice for the utilitarian and rather unglamorous reality of clicking for hours within it to get actual work done. Or in the very least have two different marketing campaigns; one for the dumb masses/fake wannabes and another for the workhorse people.
I mean, I get what you're saying and actually agree to an extent (especially about the social influencers/lifestyle stuff), but we'd be foolish to think that the vast majority of the world (at least the majority of the world that buys music making software) doesn't listen to pop music. I mean, it's literally in the word - it's popular music! Most music industry companies make products to sell to the greatest market to turn the greatest revenue, and pop music is (and always has been) the greatest market, I'm afraid.**

**That's not to say there aren't some companies that *DO* cater to a more obscure crowd who's interests aren't in the traditional pop realm (I thinking Teenage Engineering, Sonic Charge, etc).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

npinero1

01 Mar 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
01 Mar 2022
arnigretar wrote:
01 Mar 2022

NICE TRAX!!!
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

rootwheel

02 Mar 2022

EnochLight wrote:
01 Mar 2022
rootwheel wrote:
01 Mar 2022

I mean, I get what you're saying and actually agree to an extent (especially about the social influencers/lifestyle stuff), but we'd be foolish to think that the vast majority of the world (at least the majority of the world that buys music making software) doesn't listen to pop music. I mean, it's literally in the word - it's popular music! Most music industry companies make products to sell to the greatest market to turn the greatest revenue, and pop music is (and always has been) the greatest market, I'm afraid.**

**That's not to say there aren't some companies that *DO* cater to a more obscure crowd who's interests aren't in the traditional pop realm (I thinking Teenage Engineering, Sonic Charge, etc).
It's not about listening to pop music per se, I imagine most of the world's best record makers are listening to pop music too - but not in the same way the masses do. It's the difference between consumers and producers and the spectrum in-between - it's about the lie that making pop music is easy if you just buy our tool.

I remember when I first got into music software in the early noughties; the whole concept of the prosumer music software market still felt like it was in its infancy but you could sense where things were heading. Even then though, not just anyone could make music; and software makers couldn't really sell the dream that literally anyone could 'make beats'. Instead they sold to a target market of people who already knew at least something about music and tech and wanted to better themselves at that craft and try to take it more seriously - who saw each new product as an investment worth making to develop further. A lot of modern music tech marketing seems to have now been largely disconnected from these kinds of people.

Like I said before, I understand why. It's in vogue. It's part of a wider trend in popular culture where things are deliberately made to look accessible and easy; instead of the idea that blood, sweat and tears are required for years. Marketing and self-promotion now seems to go out of its way to actively hide the idea of real effort; so consumers feel like they too could still easily aspire to achieving such success overnight, without the need for any real work.

We're at a place now where much of the prosumer market has gone so far towards being dumbed down that it actually feels like it is aimed exclusively at the casual and more and more with each passing year. I would argue that this approach does the software and the industry a great disservice.

Heigen5

02 Mar 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
01 Mar 2022
arnigretar wrote:
01 Mar 2022

I just enjoyed these 4 tracks of yours Mattias. It had some healing affect on me, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

EnochLight

02 Mar 2022

rootwheel wrote:
02 Mar 2022
It's not about listening to pop music per se, I imagine most of the world's best record makers are listening to pop music too - but not in the same way the masses do. It's the difference between consumers and producers and the spectrum in-between - it's about the lie that making pop music is easy if you just buy our tool.

I remember when I first got into music software in the early noughties; the whole concept of the prosumer music software market still felt like it was in its infancy but you could sense where things were heading. Even then though, not just anyone could make music; and software makers couldn't really sell the dream that literally anyone could 'make beats'. Instead they sold to a target market of people who already knew at least something about music and tech and wanted to better themselves at that craft and try to take it more seriously - who saw each new product as an investment worth making to develop further. A lot of modern music tech marketing seems to have now been largely disconnected from these kinds of people.

Like I said before, I understand why. It's in vogue. It's part of a wider trend in popular culture where things are deliberately made to look accessible and easy; instead of the idea that blood, sweat and tears are required for years. Marketing and self-promotion now seems to go out of its way to actively hide the idea of real effort; so consumers feel like they too could still easily aspire to achieving such success overnight, without the need for any real work.

We're at a place now where much of the prosumer market has gone so far towards being dumbed down that it actually feels like it is aimed exclusively at the casual and more and more with each passing year. I would argue that this approach does the software and the industry a great disservice.
Making pop music is easy ...if you know how to write pop music, for sure! :lol: ;) My point is that pop music is the greatest market, so it should come as no surprise that companies market pop music more often than not (note that when I say "pop music", that encompasses multiple genres of music - traditional "pop music", rap/hip-hop, etc). That said, whether the marketing is accurate or truthful is a question as old as time. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

02 Mar 2022

rootwheel wrote:
02 Mar 2022

The way I see it, the market of full time 'working' producers/musicians/engineers is really quite small, but the market for general 'consumers' is HUGE. At some point the 'pro' market became saturated, and the only (?) way to increase sales was to enter the consumer market. I think it's great that more folks are into making music, even if just for themselves. But the result is software that often omits key features (from a more pro perspective) because they have to cut costs somewhere as the consumer is not willing to pay what I 'working pro' can pay.
For example, when Autotune was first released it was $600, and we GLADLY paid that because it was in contrast to a $3-4k harmonizer etc - plus, you could used it multiple times in a track without paying extra (yes, that was actually a selling point back then)!
FF to today, where even at 1/10th of that price it is seen as 'gauging' and 'motivated only by $$$'.
Bottom line, moving from the 'pro' to the 'consumer' market means you may have to sell up to 10x as many products to operate at the same level in that market. :)

My hope is BOTH markets can survive. For the 'pro' market, in addition to the 'blood/sweat/tears' etc you also need to spend whatever is required to get the tools that do the best job for you 24/7. For the 'consumer' market you need quick results tools at as low a cost as possible. IMO, there is confusion when you try to straddle the two markets…it's the classic triangle of "cheep/quick/good"…
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

02 Mar 2022

One thing is for sure - it's probably equally harder as well as 1000x easier to be a label talent scout these days - no more need to shop seedy bars or wait for demo "tapes" to be sent in. All of your scouting can be done from the comfort of your home or phone with just a few clicks. But the democratization of music making (and the massive flood of bad/amateur music) makes weeding through possible bands to sign a major PITA, one would imagine.

plaamook

02 Mar 2022

I've heard that the majority of plays on Spotify is the classics. Of whatever genre.
If that's the case...wha'ts pop music?
I get that the DAWs still have to market at someone but I wonder what the actual demographic is for 'pop music'

Or here.

fullforce

02 Mar 2022

James Bernard made the best Reason videos. He showed you how to do stuff like create your own multiband compressor. Reason Studio wouldn't even dream of doing that now, it would be WAY to complicated for their new target audience.

Funny anecdote. James Bernard made a tune for the Blade (yes the movie) soundtrack album, which were tracks from the movie (such as New Orders Confusion, the blood scene, you know), or inspired by. I had no idea at the time, but that track from him on the album was by far my favorite. It was only years later that I noticed it said J. Bernard. So I asked him, is this you? And he was like yeah, and I still haven't gotten my royalties for it.

This is the track. Totally bad ass.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

EnochLight

02 Mar 2022

fullforce wrote:
02 Mar 2022
James Bernard made the best Reason videos. He showed you how to do stuff like create your own multiband compressor. Reason Studio wouldn't even dream of doing that now, it would be WAY to complicated for their new target audience.

Funny anecdote. James Bernard made a tune for the Blade (yes the movie) soundtrack album, which were tracks from the movie (such as New Orders Confusion, the blood scene, you know), or inspired by. I had no idea at the time, but that track from him on the album was by far my favorite. It was only years later that I noticed it said J. Bernard. So I asked him, is this you? And he was like yeah, and I still haven't gotten my royalties for it.

This is the track. Totally bad ass.

Hahahaha that's nuts! I had no idea that was James B, and I think I have that CD laying around somewhere! True story: we just watched Blade for family movie night like 2 weeks ago. Holy 90's - I forgot how awesome that movie was. Definitely not the MCU of today - Lol!

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

03 Mar 2022

MattiasHG wrote:
01 Mar 2022
Interesting that you think that! Most of us don't make pop. Ludvig plays in several jazz bands, a live electro act and an analog synth quintet, Andreas does experimental electronica, my boss David plays in an Irish folk band, Carl has a successful vaporwave act, and I make ambient electronica, video game soundtracks, doom metal and play in a garage punk band.
Don't forget my Bluegrass! :)

• Information