How is R12 with M1X chips? [mac]

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Molotovbeatz

24 Feb 2022

Heyo,

I just saw the video of the new R12, holy s****t :mrgreen: . Is it compatible with M1X chips already? Or it still needs to be run with Rosetta? How is the performance overall with mac computers.

:reason: :thumbs_up:

gullum

24 Feb 2022

still rosetta only. M1 is on the road map before summer
Last edited by gullum on 26 Feb 2022, edited 1 time in total.

buddard
RE Developer

24 Feb 2022

Reason 12 really flies on my M1 Max with 32GB RAM.

ScuzzyEye

25 Feb 2022

buddard wrote:
24 Feb 2022
Heck, it runs in Rosetta on my M1 Mini with 16GB of RAM just fine. Rosetta 2 is really good, it provides basically native performance (at the cost of some storage for caching the recompiled ARM image). The only issue is plug-ins running in Rosetta need the host to be in Rosetta, and the other way around, or the host needs to know how to bridge into Rosetta. Right now I don't' think there are any ARM-only VSTs. Also all REs will be x86 just like Reason. So everything runs inside Rosetta without bridging.

buddard
RE Developer

25 Feb 2022

ScuzzyEye wrote:
25 Feb 2022
buddard wrote:
24 Feb 2022
Heck, it runs in Rosetta on my M1 Mini with 16GB of RAM just fine. Rosetta 2 is really good, it provides basically native performance (at the cost of some storage for caching the recompiled ARM image). The only issue is plug-ins running in Rosetta need the host to be in Rosetta, and the other way around, or the host needs to know how to bridge into Rosetta. Right now I don't' think there are any ARM-only VSTs. Also all REs will be x86 just like Reason. So everything runs inside Rosetta without bridging.
Not sure what you mean by ”ARM-Only VSTs”, but there are several that are available as universal binaries now (both Intel and ARM). For example I tried the new ARM version of Ableton Live 11.1, and all my Arturia V Collection VST3’s showed up.

ScuzzyEye

26 Feb 2022

buddard wrote:
25 Feb 2022
Not sure what you mean by ”ARM-Only VSTs”, but there are several that are available as universal binaries now (both Intel and ARM). For example I tried the new ARM version of Ableton Live 11.1, and all my Arturia V Collection VST3’s showed up.
I mean ones that are built without the Intel binary data. I doubt there are any so far. But Reaper did a few ARM-only builds, to go beside their Intel-only builds. So it is possible to build such a thing. But they've stopped that process, and are building "universal" binaries now for ARM that also include Intel code.

• Information