Moving Rack Extensions to External SSD?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kraftf

Post 09 Dec 2022

Guys I know its an old thread but being a mac user having the same problem as many others I would to share my solution to this.
I tried also making symlinks to the rack extensions folders but it didn't work. I am using reason 12.
What did work though were symlinks for the data files inside the rack extension folders. So problem solved at least for a sample library that I tried which is super audio Cart(around 5 gbs)
Cheers

Re8et
Competition Winner

Post 03 Jul 2024

Symlink works on windows no problem. The process is documented in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7518625
Mac OS is another story...

Re8et
Competition Winner

Post 03 Jul 2024

kraftf wrote:
09 Dec 2022
Guys I know its an old thread but being a mac user having the same problem as many others I would to share my solution to this.
I tried also making symlinks to the rack extensions folders but it didn't work. I am using reason 12.
What did work though were symlinks for the data files inside the rack extension folders. So problem solved at least for a sample library that I tried which is super audio Cart(around 5 gbs)
Cheers
OK, please, can you document better the process, with pictures if you don't mind, and the terminal cmd you used??? Tnx.

PS: It's not an old thread, it should be pinned bc it is actually very relevant stuff, that needs to be addressed at each new installation or change of Hard disks, etc etc.
It is almost imperative for users with a small Main OS hard disk, to just start a new installation, with the right ext folders assignments, and there's no guide for it...

Lov2sing

Post 04 Jul 2024

I have completely up-graded my old unsupported Mac and after months found I have no issue; therefore, I will share. I use Opencore Legacy Patcher. It allowed my High Sierra OS system to be upgraded to Monterey. I could have gone to the latest OS, but Monterey is the most stable. The beautiful thing with this method you can have a second system on a SSD. I have a old hard drive that I duplicated on 2TB external SSD. To date it has worked great. Plus it allows me to house over 4000 refills, 359 RE's and 102 VST's. Why I have so many is because I Beta test, a lot of software. It is free so there is no reason to not try it. Oh you will need a 64 gig thumb drive, it's only $7.00 to $15.00 dollars depending you currency rate. Other than that, they have video's on YouTube to walk you through it. Happy hunting other systems, but this one works.
We make music for a reason

mcatalao
Competition Winner

Post 05 Jul 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Feb 2022

I don't think it is easy. Adding a path selector in the installer is easy, and putting that setting in a config-file is also easy. However, they obviously hard-coded those disk locations in the software, and they are probably used in hundreds (or more) of code locations. Changing that would be a serious rewrite of large parts of the code base.
Man of poor faith... :)

The scratch file is previous to the invention of Rack Extensions, I'm sure it is used in plenty of places of the app (every potential destructive process passes trough it so it can be reverted to the initial state, is recalculated once a projet is reopened after auto or manual cleaning) and they have a folder specification on the properties window. Same happens to VST scanned folders.

The props are also seasoned developers, and a lot of the practices you're questioning were already used in 2007 when Rack extensions appeeared so I don't believe this paths are completely hardcoded. IMHO, if this gets traction, It's something that can be solved quite rapidly. Such a directory is not defined fully hard coded, even if it is an internal property it is probalby on a general constant available to all the code.

There are some things to consider though, because when we talk about these folders, they are not exclusive to reason. They never were, as the management of Rack Extensions has always been outsourced to Companion or the older application that i don't remember the name, so any change has to be visible to both applications.

• Information