Dr. Octorex - Never could figure this one out

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KGB

16 Feb 2022

I'm in the middle of creating a Combinator 2 with Dr. Octorex as the main sound source.

At the end of the sample loop, there's a weird delay that I don't know how to control.

It's like a echo that happens once the sample ends, and since I've been using Dr Octoroex I could never figure out how to stop this.

It seems like I've toggled all of the controls but it won't stop.

My goal is that once the loop is finished, for the loop to repeat itself immediately.

Why is there a delay?

How do I solve this problem?

RoryM0

16 Feb 2022

I sometimes find that when I've bounced my own loops to rex files that I've got a small silence at the start that gets its own slice point, so that silence might actually be the first slice in the loop?

DaveyG

16 Feb 2022

KGB wrote:
16 Feb 2022
I'm in the middle of creating a Combinator 2 with Dr. Octorex as the main sound source.

At the end of the sample loop, there's a weird delay that I don't know how to control.

It's like a echo that happens once the sample ends, and since I've been using Dr Octoroex I could never figure out how to stop this.

It seems like I've toggled all of the controls but it won't stop.

My goal is that once the loop is finished, for the loop to repeat itself immediately.

Why is there a delay?

How do I solve this problem?
You probably need to post an example on here so someone can see exactly what is going on. I'd offer but I have not got R12.

klasson

16 Feb 2022

If I'm not mistaken when you pitch a sample up in Octorex it will "fold back" to fill up the space. So when the sample ends it plays a small part of the "slice" backwards to fill the space that else would have been silent and made the whole thing sound choppy.

I'm just guessing here, and perhaps you are hearing some other kind of delay here.

To "solve" the issue for the first example above you can try to shorten the decay of the slices and it will stop looping back individual slices, it will sound more choppy doing this though.

fullforce

16 Feb 2022

I remember this being in Reason for as long as I can remember.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

KGB

16 Feb 2022

Wow I figured it out..thank you all but special thanks to RoryM0!

So I noticed that all of my Rex loops had 3 slices for some odd reason, even though I only put in 1 slice.

In the browser it showed 3 slices, and when I dragged the REX loop into the sequencer..mysteriously 3 slices appeared.

I was able to remove 1 slice but wasn't able to delete the other slice (which would leave me with only the initial slice that I had in the beginning, which is all that I want).

So I needed to dig deeper, and I opened.............RECYCLE.

I haven't used this thing in years.

I was able to delete the 2 slices that I didn't need with Recycle :thumbup:

And Lo and behold, there is a knob that I haven't seen in Dr OctoRex called "Stretch".

It defaults to 40%.

I put this at 0%...problem solved.

Why hasn't this been addressed and put into Dr. Octorex??
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 2.51.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 2.51.23 PM.png (384.87 KiB) Viewed 963 times

fullforce

16 Feb 2022

KGB wrote:
16 Feb 2022
Why hasn't this been addressed and put into Dr. Octorex??
For the same reason that the sample editor doesn't have cut and paste. Only crop.

For the same reason that Mimic doesn't have bpm or pitch detection. Pure laziness.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

• Information