The effects in Reason that you didn’t even know existed!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
thefixr

10 Feb 2022

Great video about (almost) all the distortion effects in Reason.

I for one have always been a huge fan of Kong’s Overdrive/Resonator. I’ve used it to add character to so many things and it almost always makes everything sound better.
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

Loque

10 Feb 2022

Just looking it.

I thought, RS had forgotton how to cable a instrument as a FX :-D

But, ok, nice video and distortions. But not all available for all Reason users, just R+ or owners of some of the RE.

In next video make them multiband :-D
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

10 Feb 2022

Another excellent video from Ryan :clap:

I actually use the programmer to set the synchro gates rather than a matrix cv ;)

jam-s

10 Feb 2022

@ryanharlin: You missed the soft clip from the m-class limiter. ;)

integerpoet

10 Feb 2022

The Alligator hack made me laugh out loud.

Loque

10 Feb 2022

jam-s wrote:
10 Feb 2022
@ryanharlin: You missed the soft clip from the m-class limiter. ;)
Not sure if a clipper can be counted as a distortion. But there is also Malström and Thors shapers.
Reason12, Win10

jam-s

10 Feb 2022

Loque wrote:
10 Feb 2022
Not sure if a clipper can be counted as a distortion. But there is also Malström and Thors shapers.
Sure it can. For hard clipping it's directly evident as clipping the waveform leads to distortion (just like when clipping your outputs). For a soft clipper the effect is less dramatic, but still the frequency content of the signal gets changed by adding higher frequency components just like most distortion devices do.
For example diode clipper circuits are a kind of distortion device that work similar to a hard/softclipper.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

10 Feb 2022

M-Class clipping could totally count and I just missed that one.

Other things I missed:

Malström Shaper
Thor Shaper (if routing in a funky way)
Routing The Echo through the Breakout Jacks to avoid futzing with delay times and such.

And I'm sure other stuff too. Everyone's collectively so clever. :)

Thanks for watching guys! I'm actually working on a last minute Combinator delivery. Joachim who heads up the Friday Giveaways suggested we could wrap these up into Combinators for people to save them the cabling process. So I was like "sure I can have those ready by tomorrow!" WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!?! That's FOURTEEN custom combinators with unique graphical details to sort out, testing, and other stuff. Anyway, if I survive the scramble stress that'll be out tomorrow (Friday).

joeyluck

10 Feb 2022

ryanharlin wrote:
10 Feb 2022
Thanks for watching guys! I'm actually working on a last minute Combinator delivery. Joachim who heads up the Friday Giveaways suggested we could wrap these up into Combinators for people to save them the cabling process. So I was like "sure I can have those ready by tomorrow!" WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!?! That's FOURTEEN custom combinators with unique graphical details to sort out, testing, and other stuff. Anyway, if I survive the scramble stress that'll be out tomorrow (Friday).
Whoa!! Good luck! :thumbup:

I guess you could drop anything here in the forum (or maybe over in the beta forum) if you need people to test and double check things. I don't think it would spoil the surprise for the masses.

Steedus
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2022

This is why whenever an instrument gets released without audio in jacks, I feel like it’s missing a key “Reason” feature. :-)

arnigretar

11 Feb 2022

Thanks Ryan :-) Yet another great video. The humor is important, especially in this day and age where everyone is so serious and shocked about everything. Much love :reason: !
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

11 Feb 2022

joeyluck wrote:
10 Feb 2022

I made it! Only 19 hours later, too! ;)

I actually made a bunch of improvements to the Combi versions over what I did in the video. For example the Complex-1 shaper and function presets are stereo compatible. The Scenic combi has both Engine A and Engine B both doing saturation, with different settings, and a crossfade blend to parallel process them together. For Thor I added the Shaper that people were suggesting in the YouTube comments too. And then there's a bunch of other little touches I'm happy with too – like on the Processed Pianos downsampling lofi distortion I mark off the dial settings for significant sample rates and bit depths in real world audio so if you want to downsample your audio to 32kHz and 12 bit, you'll know where to put the dial. Anyway, it's a good collection of patches! Check out the blog later today and grab it!

PhillipOrdonez

11 Feb 2022

You missed the most basic one: the compressor.

Loque

11 Feb 2022

ryanharlin wrote:
11 Feb 2022
joeyluck wrote:
10 Feb 2022

I actually made a bunch of improvements to the Combi versions over what I did in the video. For example the Complex-1 shaper and function presets are stereo compatible. The Scenic combi has both Engine A and Engine B both doing saturation, with different settings, and a crossfade blend to parallel process them together. For Thor I added the Shaper that people were suggesting in the YouTube comments too. And then there's a bunch of other little touches I'm happy with too – like on the Processed Pianos downsampling lofi distortion I mark off the dial settings for significant sample rates and bit depths in real world audio so if you want to downsample your audio to 32kHz and 12 bit, you'll know where to put the dial. Anyway, it's a good collection of patches! Check out the blog later today and grab it!
Nice! Looking forward to the release.
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

11 Feb 2022

ryanharlin wrote:
11 Feb 2022
joeyluck wrote:
10 Feb 2022

Can't wait! Thank you!

tumar

11 Feb 2022

RV7000 could be set to work as distortion unit too. It needs a lot of tweaking but is doable.

Loque

11 Feb 2022

tumar wrote:
11 Feb 2022
RV7000 could be set to work as distortion unit too. It needs a lot of tweaking but is doable.
I am listening?
Reason12, Win10

ARAlife

11 Feb 2022

ryanharlin wrote:
11 Feb 2022
joeyluck wrote:
10 Feb 2022

Hey Ryan, the beat at the end of the video is great. :thumbup: I may be the only one but I would love to see how you created it.
And where can I hear it in full length?
Thx

joeyluck

11 Feb 2022

ryanharlin wrote:
11 Feb 2022
joeyluck wrote:
10 Feb 2022

Awesome! Excellent work as always :thumbup:

challism

11 Feb 2022

Audiomatic can also function as a distortion unit (tape, cracked, gadget and circuit all have distortive qualities).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Loque

11 Feb 2022

challism wrote:
11 Feb 2022
Audiomatic can also function as a distortion unit (tape, cracked, gadget and circuit all have distortive qualities).
*slap*
Reason12, Win10

integerpoet

11 Feb 2022

ryanharlin wrote:
11 Feb 2022
The Scenic combi has both Engine A and Engine B both doing saturation, with different settings, and a crossfade blend to parallel process them together.
That's the approach that actually sounded good to my ears and most clearly not just a demo of something that's technically possible. But also I am a zealous recent convert to the faith of Saturate All The Things, so I might be … over-enthusiastic.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Feb 2022

Pretty sure he missed maelstrom

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

11 Feb 2022

avasopht wrote:
11 Feb 2022
Pretty sure he missed maelstrom
i sure did

• Information