Browser Brand folding Bug

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JahRed

26 Jan 2022

Are they ever going to fix the bug in the browser of the folding brands are they going to fix it so they stay collapsed?..

This is the most annoying thing about the browser and it really slows down workflow when you have a lot of plugins..

This bug has made the Reason 12 browser the worst thing about Reason, it has made it so I don't use Reason when I have a schedule that I am under to work with it..

michael.jaye

29 Jan 2022

This bug absolutely sucks. Admittedly I know nothing of software development, but it seems like it would be an easy fix. Unless not all users are experiencing it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Jan 2022

Support told me it would be fixed in R10. Then it got worse and they told me it’d be fixed in the first R12 update. Hmmm. Nope.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

gullum

29 Jan 2022

it has become faster just to use the right-click menu to add devices now, the browser is just endless scrolling every time opening a new project and it's annoying as F***

Pepin

30 Jan 2022

This is still the most annoying bug in R12. I would have expected a fix by now, since it's such an obvious regression...

selig
RE Developer

30 Jan 2022

I’ve all but given up, and now just use my own ‘favorites’ folders for Instruments, Effects, Utilities, and Players. Now I can quickly go to my most used devices in no time, and then when I feel like ‘exploring’ I use the main browser.
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

30 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
30 Jan 2022
I’ve all but given up, and now just use my own ‘favorites’ folders for Instruments, Effects, Utilities, and Players. Now I can quickly go to my most used devices in no time, and then when I feel like ‘exploring’ I use the main browser.
The fixed grouping per developer is completely useless to me, no matter if it can be collapsed or not. I have favorite sections for each type of instrument and FX that brings stuff in to view that I would otherwise overlook. Just having all the EQs together, for example, is much faster than any form of searching in the browser.

The most important thing I'm missing in the browser is the possibility to multiple-tag presets, samples, etc. and being able to search for a tag. That is something you can't fix with favorites.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

joeyluck

30 Jan 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Jan 2022
selig wrote:
30 Jan 2022
The fixed grouping per developer is completely useless to me, no matter if it can be collapsed or not. I have favorite sections for each type of instrument and FX that brings stuff in to view that I would otherwise overlook. Just having all the EQs together, for example, is much faster than any form of searching in the browser.

The most important thing I'm missing in the browser is the possibility to multiple-tag presets, samples, etc. and being able to search for a tag. That is something you can't fix with favorites.
Agreed. I'm hoping they add tags so I can search for "reverb" and get results for more than just the plugins that have "reverb" in the name...

I think the browser and collapsing could be much better if we had:
  • The feature to collapse/expand all with option/alt-click like in the rack
  • The option to "display 1 dev/section at a time" (meaning that expanding one collapses all others)
  • The option to hide thumbnails (making the plugin lists in the browser more condensed, similar to the create menu)

moofi

30 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
30 Jan 2022
Speaking of, being a long time user of the right-click-menue device creation, since having upgraded to 12 and thatfor not being able to access the looked for device easily, let alone seeing devices of different brands at once I finally took the jump using the favourites list for now. A handy way to get things visually categorised is using empty favourites with the category´s name and "--------" to seperate categories. Aswell being able to spread one device across several categories comes in handy with the favouritelist. It may look quite intimidating at first, yet it´s easily accessable here:
favourites.jpg
favourites.jpg (85.66 KiB) Viewed 10343 times

joeyluck

30 Jan 2022

moofi wrote:
30 Jan 2022
selig wrote:
30 Jan 2022
Speaking of, being a long time user of the right-click-menue device creation, since having upgraded to 12 and thatfor not being able to access the looked for device easily, let alone seeing devices of different brands at once I finally took the jump using the favourites list for now. A handy way to get things visually categorised is using empty favourites with the category´s name and "--------" to seperate categories. Aswell being able to spread one device across several categories comes in handy with the favouritelist. It may look quite intimidating at first, yet it´s easily accessable here:
favourites.jpg
Hey this looks close to my browser! I separate it much the same with "— EFFECTS —" lol
It's a little madness though and a lot of maintenance. It can work against me, because when I forget to add a plugin to a list, then my use of that list can actually make me forget some options I have. Bring on the tags! :)

moofi

30 Jan 2022

Yes, I know what you mean, happened here already aswell. In a further thought there could be an option showing devices not being assigned to a favourite yet.
Then I would like to have a "fully" customisable browserinterface specifically designed for sorting and categorising devices anyway :-) Not much of a tag guy because typing interrupts the mousemovement process and thatfor introduces workflowspeedreduction, besides I prefer seeing more than what I´m actually looking for like at least an overview of the categories for inspiration purposes. Like if I´m looking for an effect and don´t know what to go for yet, it´s quick at hand through immediate displaying all available categories. I aswell get inspired by looking at categories even if I´m looking for a specific effect e.g.

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jan 2022
moofi wrote:
30 Jan 2022

favourites.jpg
Hey this looks close to my browser! I separate it much the same with "— EFFECTS —" lol
It's a little madness though and a lot of maintenance. It can work against me, because when I forget to add a plugin to a list, then my use of that list can actually make me forget some options I have. Bring on the tags! :)

DaveyG

30 Jan 2022

As well as Favourites another really useful browser feature would be "Recent", showing the 15 or 20 plugins/REs that you used most recently. Or take that idea further and allow us to sort the whole list of instruments/effects/etc in a bunch of different ways. Choices are what we need. In Studio One I can sort instruments and/or effects by folder, vendor, type and "flat" (sorts by name). Above all of that there is a list of favourites and "recent" . It just works really well and you can instantly change the sort order with one click.

Reason lacking this flexibility is not the end of the world but once you've used a DAW which has that stuff you don't half miss it in Reason.

Imagine if RS made a file explorer for PC or MAC. They would choose the sort order. Want to sort by time or size? Nope. Sorry. :D

stratatonic

30 Jan 2022

I used to right click for devices all the time. Then I slowly started using the newer browser.
It's a good thing that I don't have a huge amount of REs and VSTs, but it is still really annoying. So I feel for all of you who have a lot of plugs to deal with!
I can't believe that this is remotely a difficult fix.

selig
RE Developer

31 Jan 2022

crimsonwarlock wrote:
30 Jan 2022
selig wrote:
30 Jan 2022

I’ve been pushing hard for tags for presets since we did the new patches on 6.5, so I worry that it’s never been a priority so far it’s not going to change any time soon. :(
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

31 Jan 2022

selig wrote:
31 Jan 2022
I’ve been pushing hard for tags for presets since we did the new patches on 6.5, so I worry that it’s never been a priority so far it’s not going to change any time soon. :(
Afraid so. But that big white area at the bottom of the browser would be the perfect place to add tag-management... it is basically begging to receive that kind of functionality. I mean, where is it for currently?

At least we can collapse it :(
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Neo

31 Jan 2022

Having to scroll the waves list is always fun. Yes, annoying AF! One would of thought it would of been fixed by now.
^I thought my fave list was out of control lol.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Billy+

31 Jan 2022

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jan 2022

Agreed. I'm hoping they add tags so I can search for "reverb" and get results for more than just the plugins that have "reverb" in the name...

I think the browser and collapsing could be much better if we had:
  • The feature to collapse/expand all with option/alt-click like in the rack
  • The option to "display 1 dev/section at a time" (meaning that expanding one collapses all others)
  • The option to hide thumbnails (making the plugin lists in the browser more condensed, similar to the create menu)
Being able to nest custom favourite folders would also be handy

And I would really like to be able to hide or at least shrink the sequencer device panel I really don't see the need for such a large device icon especially if you name your tracks.

rootwheel

31 Jan 2022

MrFigg wrote:
29 Jan 2022
Support told me it would be fixed in R10. Then it got worse and they told me it’d be fixed in the first R12 update. Hmmm. Nope.
Out of interest, do you know which was the last version of Reason in which this bug did not exist?

Billy+

31 Jan 2022

rootwheel wrote:
31 Jan 2022
MrFigg wrote:
29 Jan 2022
Out of interest, do you know which was the last version of Reason in which this bug did not exist?
They stay collapsed for me on Mac & windows in R11

huggermugger

31 Jan 2022

rootwheel wrote:
31 Jan 2022
MrFigg wrote:
29 Jan 2022
It's always worked for me, in R10 and R11.

rootwheel

31 Jan 2022

huggermugger wrote:
31 Jan 2022
rootwheel wrote:
31 Jan 2022

I've just done some reading up on this on the forum.

My understanding is that in the older versions of Reason (i.e. 9, 10 and assumedly 11 too) it was JUST the Players device palette which didn't remember the collapsed state for each developer once you click into Instruments, Effects or Utilities and then come back into Players. The rest of the rack device types do remember collapsed state consistently.

Since Reason 12 the browser remembering the collapsed status is now broken on ALL types of devices; that's Instruments, Effects, Utilities and Players. It never remembers.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2022

huggermugger wrote:
31 Jan 2022
rootwheel wrote:
31 Jan 2022

Yep. It worked for instruments. Effects and utilities but not Players. Now they’re all broken. They didn’t fix the bug in R12. They made it worse.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

31 Jan 2022

MrFigg wrote:
31 Jan 2022
huggermugger wrote:
31 Jan 2022

Yep. It worked for instruments. Effects and utilities but not Players. Now they’re all broken. They didn’t fix the bug in R12. They made it worse.
:lol:

I just checked and that's exactly what happens, never noticed it before.
So to clarify it's a bug in R11 as well but only for player section.

Arrant
Competition Winner

31 Jan 2022

JahRed wrote:
26 Jan 2022
This is the most annoying thing about the browser
IF ONLY that were true

• Information