12.2.4 Released

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deeplink
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2022

Fixed a bug where the browser didn't refresh with updated content, e.g. an exported song and saved patch

Slight improvements to display performance in Rack Extensions

Minor improvements to ReFill handling

Reason no longer rescans already scanned Rack Extensions at startup

Minor improvements to processor thread handling

Windows specific fixes:
- Auto-scale implementation for VSTs in Reason standalone
- Improved scrolling in the Rack
- Fixed an issue when starting Reason on early versions of Windows 10
- Fixed a bug that would prevent opening files on external drives

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ease-notes
Last edited by deeplink on 26 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Hoboys

26 Jan 2022

When will the folders stay collapsed,
E-I-E-I-O

rootwheel

26 Jan 2022

Hoboys wrote:
26 Jan 2022
E-I-E-I-O
Should be fixed in Reason 14.2.1

crimsonwarlock

26 Jan 2022

Wooot, this fixes the 'external drive' issue on windows so now I can finally update beyond 12.2 on my home install.

Rack extensions seem to load faster as well.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Billy+

26 Jan 2022

So is Reason standalone fully HiDPI yet have all the graphical glitches been fixed?

Goriila Texas

26 Jan 2022

The browser on my end is working as it should be now no more crashing when trying to open folders. Large sample folders open at decent speed now. Start up on my PC has improved now that Reason doesn't rescan vst's.

plaamook

26 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
26 Jan 2022
So is Reason standalone fully HiDPI yet have all the graphical glitches been fixed?
Nope.
Not a 80% Res anyway.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

BRIGGS

26 Jan 2022

rootwheel wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Hoboys wrote:
26 Jan 2022
E-I-E-I-O
Should be fixed in Reason 14.2.1
r11s

freshkidblaze

26 Jan 2022

I have to see if some vsts are still laggy, serato sample's gui stutters when reason's sequencer is playing but runs smooth when it isn't playing.

EnochLight

26 Jan 2022

I can't even update from 12.2.3! lmao :lol:

doh_lol.JPG
doh_lol.JPG (60.31 KiB) Viewed 21331 times

*EDIT: eh, I was able to eventually get 12.2.3 to load so I could update. Had to choose to not use any Rack Extensions, and it eventually loaded. :o :D :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

26 Jan 2022

I wonder how can I check the new vst scaling thingy? I would love to be able to make some plugins tiny so they don't take the whole screen.

crimsonwarlock

26 Jan 2022

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
26 Jan 2022
I wonder how can I check the new vst scaling thingy? I would love to be able to make some plugins tiny so they don't take the whole screen.
It doesn't make VST windows scalable. It switches the VST host window between using Reason internal scaling and Windows desktop scaling.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

earwig83

26 Jan 2022

They KINDA fixed the scaling issue but not really. First, it requires a restart each time to open a vst, realize it is too small and then go to switch it to auto-scale, which just makes them look blurry. The blurry part I get, not so simple. But the implementation seems rather buried and unfriendly. Anyways I'll take it but it is ghetto. VSTs looked fine before they introduced the RS hires version.

Reason icons in browser are still low res. not a huge issue.

Someone in another thread said "why are RS responsible for making sure the VST looks ok in RS?" I don't really get that question though. I mean why make sure sound comes out? It's a third party sound device!! lol Point I am making is that is reason wants to support VST, even if the vst itself doesn't scale, Reason before the hi def version displayed VSTs just fine, which means something RS did is causing this issue. So fix it better, wills ya? For now, I will work with this though.

joeyluck

26 Jan 2022

earwig83 wrote:
26 Jan 2022
They KINDA fixed the scaling issue but not really. First, it requires a restart each time to open a vst, realize it is too small and then go to switch it to auto-scale, which just makes them look blurry. The blurry part I get, not so simple. But the implementation seems rather buried and unfriendly. Anyways I'll take it but it is ghetto. VSTs looked fine before they introduced the RS hires version.

Reason icons in browser are still low res. not a huge issue.

Someone in another thread said "why are RS responsible for making sure the VST looks ok in RS?" I don't really get that question though. I mean why make sure sound comes out? It's a third party sound device!! lol Point I am making is that is reason wants to support VST, even if the vst itself doesn't scale, Reason before the hi def version displayed VSTs just fine, which means something RS did is causing this issue. So fix it better, wills ya? For now, I will work with this though.
I'm on mac, so I can't test this. VSTs for us never had the scaling issue, so no fix needed. Can you post pictures of what you are seeing that is blurry?

WasteLand

26 Jan 2022

it is a slow, slow world.
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

Arrant
Competition Winner

26 Jan 2022

freshkidblaze wrote:
26 Jan 2022
I have to see if some vsts are still laggy, serato sample's gui stutters when reason's sequencer is playing but runs smooth when it isn't playing.
They are, unfortunately.

helmutson

27 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Not - even play and record button got still that optical issues, beside so many others ... unbelievable and sad :(

deeplink
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2022

helmutson wrote:
27 Jan 2022
Billy+ wrote:
26 Jan 2022
Not - even play and record button got still that optical issues, beside so many others ... unbelievable and sad :(
I think the main focus of RS at the moment as to address the usability of their product.

IMO HiRes was only dealt with because of the RRP, and some users unable to actually use the vst given it's size. Similarly, the main highlight of this 12.2.4 update is auto scale of VST within Reason Standalone - as the autoscalling previously made some vst's unusable in size.

There's probably more ground to cover with respect to performance, before they start addressing and tidying up UI defects.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

plasticfractal

27 Jan 2022

The autoscale feature is a step in the right direction, but feels like a tedious workaround rather than an actual solution. I have probably hundreds of VSTs. Do I really need to manually toggle autoscale on each one? Very few of them work fine as is (on a 4k 43 inch screen), so I would really like to be able to set autoscale on by default for all, then disable in the few cases where the VST size is not an issue. Even giving us checkboxes and an "Apply" button would be better than the current approach where I have to double click each VST and check No to Yes. I will have carpal tunnel by the time I finish enabling it for all the VSTs that need it (i.e., 97% of the ones I have).

Arrant
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2022

plasticfractal wrote:
27 Jan 2022
The autoscale feature is a step in the right direction, but feels like a tedious workaround rather than an actual solution. I have probably hundreds of VSTs. Do I really need to manually toggle autoscale on each one? Very few of them work fine as is (on a 4k 43 inch screen), so I would really like to be able to set autoscale on by default for all, then disable in the few cases where the VST size is not an issue. Even giving us checkboxes and an "Apply" button would be better than the current approach where I have to double click each VST and check No to Yes. I will have carpal tunnel by the time I finish enabling it for all the VSTs that need it (i.e., 97% of the ones I have).
Why would you need it for so many plugins? I only have to enable autoscaling for a small minority of my VSTs that do not have their own scaling option.
Agree with your point though that the GUI for enabling auto-scaling is terrible at the moment.

Zerosity

27 Jan 2022

EnochLight wrote:
26 Jan 2022
I can't even update from 12.2.3! lmao :lol:

doh_lol.JPG

*EDIT: eh, I was able to eventually get 12.2.3 to load so I could update. Had to choose to not use any Rack Extensions, and it eventually loaded. :o :D :lol:
I'm assuming that Reason Studios are using a Jenkins build server by that file path (NewJenkinsSlave), but they should really stop using the master/slave nomenclature at this point.

Arrant
Competition Winner

27 Jan 2022

Is it just me or is this version saving project files noticeably slower than before?

EnochLight

27 Jan 2022

Zerosity wrote:
27 Jan 2022
but they should really stop using the master/slave nomenclature at this point.
Why?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pushedbutton

27 Jan 2022

Seems better.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

rootwheel

27 Jan 2022

EnochLight wrote:
27 Jan 2022
Zerosity wrote:
27 Jan 2022
but they should really stop using the master/slave nomenclature at this point.
Why?
Because the world has gone mad; particular the American humanities crowd. Unfortunately it seems like it's becoming evermore impossible to keep politics and political correctness out of the sciences and engineering. Thus perfectly sensible terms which are being used in a way which has literally zero racial undertone to them at all (and are being used explicitly to refer to the relationship that hardware, code or 0s and 1s have to each other) are being overthrown unnecessarily to win cheap political arguments. Bring back common sense.

• Information