Can I output Reason audio over a Zoom call?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rogfrich

24 Jan 2022

Hi everyone.

I’ve just started taking guitar lessons again, for the first time in decades. They’re delivered over Zoom, rather than face to face. This means that I need to be able to talk to the tutor over Zoom, and he also needs to be able to hear my guitar and the backing tracks I’m playing along to (which are both in Reason).

My setup is the (electric) guitar directly into a Presonus AudioBox USB interface. I tend to put an instance of a VST amp modeller as an insert effect on the audio track, and monitor through headphones connected to the AudioBox. This is on a 2014 Mac Mini running Big Sur and Reason 11 Suite.

Meanwhile, Zoom gets its audio for its video calls from the mic built into my external webcam, and outputs to the AudioBox so I can use it with my headphones.

What I need to do is somehow merge the audio coming out of Reason (the guitar and backing tracks) with the audio coming out of the mic that Zoom uses.

Any ideas? 😀

entropi

24 Jan 2022

loopback from rogue amoeba cloud probably fix this!

PhillipOrdonez

24 Jan 2022

There's a plugin that streams high quality audio. It is called Listento. https://audiomovers.com/wp/

In case you don't get it working with zoom, for which I don't have any idea how to get working.

pushedbutton

24 Jan 2022

OBS Supports ASIO, you use it as your camera and audio source but the round trip latency of zoom would make it more difficult to play together if that's your plan.
https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio
This should help you set up OBS as microphone for zoom.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

rogfrich

24 Jan 2022

pushedbutton wrote:
24 Jan 2022
…but the round trip latency of zoom would make it more difficult to play together if that's your plan.
Sorry, should have mentioned - there’s no intention of playing together with the tutor, for this reason. I just need need him to be able to hear me play.

rogfrich

24 Jan 2022

Thanks all for the suggestions!

joeyluck

24 Jan 2022

I haven't messed with it yet, but there is "ZoomAudioDevice", which I think installs along with the Zoom app? I noticed it under Audio MIDI Setup on my mac and I've seen it as an option in Reason. It's 2 inputs/2 outputs. As mentioned, there are other solutions, but perhaps that will do the trick with the least hassle? Maybe?

integerpoet

24 Jan 2022

Does the teacher need this to sound truly fabulous?

Maybe just play Reason's output through speakers and let Zoom pick up both that and your voice through whatever mic.

If you don't have a decent mic, then maybe getting one is a simpler solution than fiddling with software.

If you need to keep volume down for housemates or whatever, even laptop speakers at low volume with good mic placement might be good enough.
Last edited by integerpoet on 24 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

24 Jan 2022

I think it may be as easy as selecting "ZoomAudioDevice" as the audio device in Reason and then choosing to share computer audio in Zoom?

huggermugger

24 Jan 2022

I stream Reason and the onboard mic thru Zoom on my iMac. I found a document that describes the setup for ProTools, but it translates to Reason nicely. Here's a Google Doc link to the PDF that explains how to setup an Aggregate ZoomAudioDevice in the Audio Midi Setup.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_yi ... 9UV-w/edit

Once you've created the AggregateDevice, the document explains how to configure ProTools to stream its audio into the ZoomAudioDevice. In Reason, you do it by patching the output of the SSL Mixer to the Hardware Interface Audio I/O Output 3/4, as shown in the image I've attached here.

One caveat is that you may or may not get it working in stereo. It was inconsistent for me. But the fidelity is very good.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 7.40.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 7.40.11 PM.png (683.88 KiB) Viewed 797 times

Kalm

24 Jan 2022

joeyluck wrote:
24 Jan 2022
I haven't messed with it yet, but there is "ZoomAudioDevice", which I think installs along with the Zoom app? I noticed it under Audio MIDI Setup on my mac and I've seen it as an option in Reason. It's 2 inputs/2 outputs. As mentioned, there are other solutions, but perhaps that will do the trick with the least hassle? Maybe?
Listen to this guy

I should know, I do this all the time
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

• Information