Recording Player MIDI in Logic

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DMGuy

11 Jan 2022

Hello all. I was wondering how you get MIDI data from a player in a rack into the main sequencer in Logic.for example, I want transfer MIDI data from Beat Map. Thanks!
MacBook Pro (i7 16 GB RAM), Reason Suite 11, Logic Pro 10.6, Ableton Live

jam-s

11 Jan 2022

1. Add midi out device
2. Record it into your sequencer

DMGuy

11 Jan 2022

Yes but how do you record the MIDI out in Logic? There isn’t a track to track MIDI setting in the inspector.

WaxTrax

11 Jan 2022

Here's one way to do it (there are probably other ways to do it as well):

1. Use the Audio MIDI Setup utility to create an IAC bus if you haven't already. https://support.apple.com/guide/audio-m ... ms1013/mac

2. Create two empty software instrument tracks.

3. On the first track, instantiate the RRP under the MIDI FX and load your Player device.

4. Set the first track Input device to Utility > External Instrument (mono or stereo probably doesn't matter since all we care about is the MIDI data). Under "MIDI Destination", select the IAC bus you created.

5. On the second track, instantiate your software instrument (which could be another RRP instance containing the actual Reason instrument you want to generate your sound with).

6. Arm the second track for recording and start recording. Your MIDI data will be captured into this track. When you are done recording and are satisfied with the results, you could either delete the first track or simply disable the MIDI FX for now.

If you want to do this for multiple RRP Players (or other MIDI FX) and multiple instruments simultaneously, you will need to make sure you assign MIDI channels where appropriate. But if you're just recording one track at a time, the channels don't really matter.

This process should work with any note-generating MIDI FX, and with any MIDI note-receiving AU software instrument.

Tested on v10.7.2 on an M1 MBP.

Hope this helps!

huggermugger

11 Jan 2022

WaxTrax wrote:
11 Jan 2022
Here's one way to do it (there are probably other ways to do it as well):

4. Set the first track Input device to Utility > External Instrument (mono or stereo probably doesn't matter since all we care about is the MIDI data). Under "MIDI Destination", select the IAC bus you created.
I too am trying to figure out how to capture Player output in Logic. I don't understand step 4 of your explanation. Where is the 'track Input Device" and where is "utility"? BTW I'm in Logic 10.4.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 8.03.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 8.03.36 PM.png (75.38 KiB) Viewed 968 times

WaxTrax

11 Jan 2022

On v10.7 it is in the channel strip (I would imagine it is the same in v10.4 but cannot confirm). It is the same location where you add your software instrument. Instead of loading a software instrument on that track, you're loading the built-in "External Instrument" device (which is hopefully in v10.4 as well).

huggermugger

12 Jan 2022

WaxTrax wrote:
11 Jan 2022
On v10.7 it is in the channel strip (I would imagine it is the same in v10.4 but cannot confirm). It is the same location where you add your software instrument. Instead of loading a software instrument on that track, you're loading the built-in "External Instrument" device (which is hopefully in v10.4 as well).
Aha! Found it! This works just fine thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 12.26.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 12.26.09 PM.png (437.83 KiB) Viewed 923 times

WaxTrax

12 Jan 2022

Cool :-) I've been slowly dipping my toes into Logic because it definitely has some great features, but I absolutely love the Reason Player devices. They are one of Reason's best features, in my opinion (I have purchased probably more than 75% of the Player devices in the store).

I already set up a Logic template with 8 empty software instrument tracks and mapped some of the controls (like volume and solo) to my APC Mini controller. I'll probably add a ninth track to the template to house the RRP Players now using what we learned about in this thread :-)

huggermugger

12 Jan 2022

WaxTrax wrote:
12 Jan 2022
Cool :-) I've been slowly dipping my toes into Logic because it definitely has some great features, but I absolutely love the Reason Player devices. They are one of Reason's best features, in my opinion (I have purchased probably more than 75% of the Player devices in the store).
Yeah, when I got the RRP happening, the first thing I did was try to use Players in Logic. Players are the best. But it was a disappointment to lose that super-convenient Send To Track function. Realtime recording, by your method or also a plugin I found called MIDI Freeze, gets the job done but it's time consuming, especially for long Player patterns.

DMGuy

12 Jan 2022

Thanks for your detailed help guys. I agree that Players rule. I like them more than the midi FX that comes with Logic. I also agree that MIDI freeze is a pain to use.

DMGuy

12 Jan 2022

I’ve got another question. How do you monitor what the Player is playing? It’s going to the second track but no matter what plug-in I choose, all that comes out is a rhythmic high pitched sound. Also when I try to adjust the player, Logic turns off the second track’s record. Thanks.

• Information