"I use Reason" reaction

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3712
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 15 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Let's not deflect from the point I was making about young people who make Trap music don't find this software appealing and this company historically has catered to EDM musicians while ignoring all other genre's. I would find it hard to believe any young person not doing EDM would find this DAW innovative, intuitive or inspiring.

Nobody cares about how other people get it done in Reason, we are naturally selfish beings that only care how things affect us. If the workflow is garbage to me that's all I care about and that's most people.



QVprod wrote:
15 Jan 2022


Not sure why this would matter. The producer making a track in Reason has no business influence on a song getting a Grammy. Only that the track was quality enough to be used for the artist. Nonetheless, these aren’t “old” producers. RS posts these things on social media quite a bit.
Do you seriously think Reason has a rubbish workflow or are you just raising the point?

I've tried tracktion reaper protools and live and really don't enjoy any of them I have never used cubase or fl studio and probably won't as it just seems pointless to keep searching, granted Reason standalone could definitely be improved with many new features that for the most part are already available in most other DAW's.

As for the Grammy awards does that even have anything to do with the software?
Latest (got any vocals?) contact me...

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 3199
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Let's not deflect from the point I was making about young people who make Trap music don't find this software appealing and this company historically has catered to EDM musicians while ignoring all other genre's. I would find it hard to believe any young person not doing EDM would find this DAW innovative, intuitive or inspiring.

Nobody cares about how other people get it done in Reason, we are naturally selfish beings that only care how things affect us. If the workflow is garbage to me that's all I care about and that's most people.



QVprod wrote:
15 Jan 2022


Not sure why this would matter. The producer making a track in Reason has no business influence on a song getting a Grammy. Only that the track was quality enough to be used for the artist. Nonetheless, these aren’t “old” producers. RS posts these things on social media quite a bit.
That wasn’t a deflection. I’m saying the producers getting placements I see RS repost aren’t old either. I had already mentioned why FL studio has the trap guys.

Goriila Texas
Posts: 850
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 15 Jan 2022

Yes I do and I'm not alone. Reason is software modelled after real hardware and things in Reason have almost the same limitations as the hardware!!! Every user has their own needs but some things are just universal necessities that most people need. The sequencer feels like early 2000ish. I don't have time to go into detail I'm sure someone else will gladly chime in to help you understand. Wise people work smart not hard and run towards software that makes their task easier with less headache. Some people love to do things the hard way and want limitations, people on this forum have actually said they don't like a lot of options it kills their creativity :crazy: For a creative how does that make any sense?? But they own every synth that comes out in vst though.



Billy+ wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Let's not deflect from the point I was making about young people who make Trap music don't find this software appealing and this company historically has catered to EDM musicians while ignoring all other genre's. I would find it hard to believe any young person not doing EDM would find this DAW innovative, intuitive or inspiring.

Nobody cares about how other people get it done in Reason, we are naturally selfish beings that only care how things affect us. If the workflow is garbage to me that's all I care about and that's most people.




Do you seriously think Reason has a rubbish workflow or are you just raising the point?

I've tried tracktion reaper protools and live and really don't enjoy any of them I have never used cubase or fl studio and probably won't as it just seems pointless to keep searching, granted Reason standalone could definitely be improved with many new features that for the most part are already available in most other DAW's.

As for the Grammy awards does that even have anything to do with the software?

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1586
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 15 Jan 2022

plaamook wrote:
15 Jan 2022
I just thought it was an interesting question.
Reason is a hardware emulator that’s trying to jump the fence. That older producers who started on hardware found reason makes loads of sense.
But is it so appealing to kids who never saw the hardware?
I got on board by pure chance. I’ve got no hardware history myself.

All I know is reason seems laughable to many people and although I love it I can see why.
The majority of new DAW users have never seen a 19 inch rack or any outboard gear. So maybe the rack and the cables that we all love so much are just not very relevant to many newcomers.

The very first thing you see when you first start up FL Studio is a step sequencer front and centre and it is preloaded with 808 samples. a dozen clicks later you have the beginnings of a beat. A dozen more clicks and maybe you are onto something and hooked enough to seek out a tutorial or something.

The very first thing you see when you first start up Reason is a rack with weird shit at the top (Hardware interface, Master Section, three Reverbs and an Echo) and nothing to make any sound. You are expected to browse through an increasingly long list of instruments to choose one and then find a way to play it. Maybe they already have a MIDI controller or keyboard but most of them don't. So how do they make their first sound in Reason?

For sound design and sheer flexibility I think Reason has the edge over most other DAWs. But it's not exactly welcoming to newbies imo.

User avatar
lowtom
Posts: 189
Joined: 29 Sep 2017

Post 15 Jan 2022

DaveyG wrote:
15 Jan 2022
(...)
The very first thing you see when you first start up Reason is a rack with weird shit at the top (Hardware interface, Master Section, three Reverbs and an Echo) and nothing to make any sound. You are expected to browse through an increasingly long list of instruments to choose one and then find a way to play it. Maybe they already have a MIDI controller or keyboard but most of them don't. So how do they make their first sound in Reason?

For sound design and sheer flexibility I think Reason has the edge over most other DAWs. But it's not exactly welcoming to newbies imo.
Back in the days, when Reason Adapted existed, Props where smart enough to give preloaded rack with limited number of devices. Someone new to Reason, could play with devices immediately and have a taste of working with Reason Rack.
:reason: :refill: :re:

User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 2277
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: Bajo del mar...

Post 15 Jan 2022

Yeah. The day I brought Reason 3 home and loaded it up I just sat there scratching my head for ages thinking I’d just wasted a few hundred credits. That feeling actually lasted quite a while before I managed to excavate a large enough area to get my ideas together.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3712
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 15 Jan 2022

Am I the only person who brought Reason and started reading the manual?
Latest (got any vocals?) contact me...

reasonwhy
Posts: 15
Joined: 26 Jan 2021

Post 15 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Am I the only person who brought Reason and started reading the manual?
No :thumbup:

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 2182
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: 55°09'24.5"N 37°27'41.4"E

Post 15 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Am I the only person who brought Reason and started reading the manual?
Learning to read is even more difficult than understanding Reason.

User avatar
DaveyG
Posts: 1586
Joined: 03 May 2020

Post 15 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Am I the only person who brought Reason and started reading the manual?
No, but you are definitely in a minority. Youngsters mostly don't read stuff. They want YouTube tutorials which take 5 times as long to communicate the same information. If you like this message don't forget to click subscribe and if you ring the bell I'll send you a bonus sample pack.

Chi-Individual
Posts: 197
Joined: 09 Apr 2020

Post 15 Jan 2022

I've been using Reason since 2.0. I just started reading the manual last month :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Billy+
Posts: 3712
Joined: 09 Dec 2016

Post 15 Jan 2022

When I brought Reason version 1 I had to drive about 80 miles round trip and I asked a mate if he would do the driving and as soon as we got back into the car I opened the box and started to read the manual from the first page to the last and the manual never left my desk for the first few weeks, even now when I buy an upgrade I'm usually reading the manual while downloading the install the only difference is that I can skip a few sections.

I also always have the current version manual available on my iPad just in case...
Latest (got any vocals?) contact me...

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 2828
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the New York

Post 15 Jan 2022

There's a Reason manual?!
The Now Sound of MIDI Thru 🧂

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 3128
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 15 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Let's not deflect from the point I was making about young people who make Trap music don't find this software appealing and this company historically has catered to EDM musicians while ignoring all other genre's. I would find it hard to believe any young person not doing EDM would find this DAW innovative, intuitive or inspiring.

Nobody cares about how other people get it done in Reason, we are naturally selfish beings that only care how things affect us. If the workflow is garbage to me that's all I care about and that's most people.
Unless they've actually tried Reason, I hardly doubt the workflow played a role at all.

There are DAWs with all desired features and a clean workflow that have far fewer users than Reason.

Chances are, there's just a lot of recommendation inertia, and people just don't know that much about the programs they don't use
---

dakta
Posts: 63
Joined: 30 Aug 2021

Post 15 Jan 2022

DaveyG wrote:
12 Jan 2022
Goriila Texas wrote:
12 Jan 2022
Reason is far behind other DAWs yes you can make music with it but you’re working harder than other DAW users it’s not even debatable. It’s like two men trying to dig a ditch and one is using a shovel and the other a spoon. Yes both will dig but the guy using a spoon is a fool. I’m not calling Reason uses fools but I do scratch my head at the rigorous workflow y’all choose to make music in.
You just made me laugh out loud. "Reason 12 - Why use a shovel when you can have a spoon?" :clap:
Because when people see what you do with the spoon they will fear a day where you have a shovel

:)

Even though i've been away from reason for some time this attitude has always been there, for me it doesn't really bother me - I got into it for my own reasons and it meets the criteria. If anyone wants to sit down with me and tell me what it's lacking that I would benefit from it wouldn't go far. People write some amazing stuff with reason and whilst I'll probably never join them i know it could happen. The rest is down to me.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 2942
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Norway

Post 15 Jan 2022

I didn't read the manual. I still haven't read the manual.

I did, however, turn every knob I could find to know what it did and that's how I learned Reason 😂

I already knew some from working as a DJ so eq and filters and delay, and cables, weren't completely alien to me.

Would have learned it way faster if YouTube existed back then.
The latest release:

Eddi-16
Posts: 242
Joined: 12 Aug 2017

Post 15 Jan 2022

@ RS & new CEO

PLEASE end this madness in all forums - please just update the sequencer, and finally some workflow features.

Come on, please. Just read all tis posts ... can't you really still not recognize it?

User avatar
rgdaniel
Posts: 524
Joined: 07 Sep 2017
Location: Canada

Post 15 Jan 2022

Reason Manual? With all the new-fangled Players, these days it's mostly Reason Automatic, am I right?

Goriila Texas
Posts: 850
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Houston TX

Post 16 Jan 2022

Which DAWs?? Be honest do you really think the perception of Reason is above Live, Studio One, Cubase, Reaper or FL Studio? How do you know they never demoed Reason and just didn't like it?


quote=avasopht post_id=593182 time=1642286403 user_id=5349]
Goriila Texas wrote:
15 Jan 2022
Let's not deflect from the point I was making about young people who make Trap music don't find this software appealing and this company historically has catered to EDM musicians while ignoring all other genre's. I would find it hard to believe any young person not doing EDM would find this DAW innovative, intuitive or inspiring.

Nobody cares about how other people get it done in Reason, we are naturally selfish beings that only care how things affect us. If the workflow is garbage to me that's all I care about and that's most people.
Unless they've actually tried Reason, I hardly doubt the workflow played a role at all.

There are DAWs with all desired features and a clean workflow that have far fewer users than Reason.

Chances are, there's just a lot of recommendation inertia, and people just don't know that much about the programs they don't use
[/quote]

User avatar
crimsonwarlock
Posts: 533
Joined: 06 Nov 2021
Location: Close to the Edge

Post 16 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
16 Jan 2022
Which DAWs?? Be honest do you really think the perception of Reason is above Live, Studio One, Cubase, Reaper or FL Studio? How do you know they never demoed Reason and just didn't like it?
Reaper is just about the most hated DAW (by non-users obviously) exactly BECAUSE it has an incredible number of features and tries to cater to every workflow imaginable. I moved to Reason after using Reaper as my main DAW for more than a decade, and I'm not looking back. There is a lot that Reaper can do that Reason doesn't, but there also is a whole way of working that Reason supports, that no other DAW has. The question is "what's your poison" :D

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 3128
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Jan 2022

Goriila Texas wrote:
16 Jan 2022
Which DAWs?? Be honest do you really think the perception of Reason is above Live, Studio One, Cubase, Reaper or FL Studio? How do you know they never demoed Reason and just didn't like it?
So, you've got:
1. Cakewalk Sonar
2. Reaper
3. Acid Pro

I've not suggested the perception of Reason is higher.

There would be signs of those millions of users demoing Reason:
1. Many explicitly citing those shortcomings
2. Inquiries about the features (e.g. I'm demoing Reason but it's not finding xyz VST)

It's also just not typical user behaviour to demo various applications. Usually they'll go be recommendation. That's why people often ask which DAW is best (or good for *insert genre*). It's why review sites exist - to save people from demoing the application.

Another indication is piracy statistics.

DAWs would have a much more even distribution of illegal downloads if people typically tried a number of DAWs first. They most certainly won't demo an application legally to decide which one to download illegally. Instead, you'd see the demoing task executed via illegal download.

Instead, illegal download numbers seems to reflect popularity.

I'm sure a survey on KVR would show they've not.

And then you have the question of, ... so then why does anyone use Reason? Wouldn't it turn away every user if those features are as much of a showstopper as you say? Or are Reason users the only exception to the behaviour you imply all other users have (demoing various DAWs first)?

There's also the problem of those who have used multiple DAWs and still prefer Reason.

Reason had differentiated features.

Real music makers don't obsess over feature lists. There's lots of things each application I use doesn't do what I want. That's just life. And by not using Reason I lose out on the aspects of Reason I do like.

I've got Studio One. I've used ProTools, Logic, Live and Cubase for sufficient periods of time. Reason is just preferable for me.

I've been using maschine exclusively for the last few months, and while it lacks lots of features I want, it still gets the job done.

I adapt.

I've even tried running multiple DAWs on different machines (or the same), and feeding the outputs back and forth between the audio interfaces so that I could sample the DAWs in each other to give me the best of both worlds.

This is what music makers do. They get the job done.

Reason is just not everyone's cup of tea. It's never tried to be a vanilla type of tool.

And even if it had, they're still struggling to give away Sonar
---

User avatar
moofi
Posts: 556
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: hear

Post 18 Jan 2022

That´s actually MPD (multi personality disorder), not schizo ;-)
orthodox wrote:
13 Jan 2022
[...]

Those lacking the opportunity to work in a team can go schizo and create a team in their head.

User avatar
moofi
Posts: 556
Joined: 19 Jan 2015
Location: hear

Post 18 Jan 2022

I beg to differ. :-)
Goriila Texas wrote:
14 Jan 2022
[...] anybody with common sense and with a general understanding of how music software works will come to that conclusion. [...]

User avatar
orthodox
RE Developer
Posts: 2182
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: 55°09'24.5"N 37°27'41.4"E

Post 18 Jan 2022

moofi wrote:
18 Jan 2022
That´s actually MPD (multi personality disorder), not schizo ;-)
MPD, DID, BPD, "split" are clinical cases. I meant a mild one, that anyone can afford :-)

User avatar
SuperStellartones
Posts: 9
Joined: 12 Nov 2021

Post 19 Jan 2022

Huge Reason fanboy here from many years back. I've spent 100s of hours in Reason and I've made a lot of music using it.

I found that other DAWs were "not as fun" and "not as inspiring", but I was so frustrated by certain things in Reason I forced myself to learn something else. I decided on Bitwig and now I'll never go back to Reason, unless RS makes some major updates.

The workflow is incredibly fast and intuitive in Bitwig. There was a small learning curve, but now I can make more music, be more efficient and ultimately have more fun.

Going back to Reason now would almost be like going back to my 4-track recorder. Man, it would be fun to play around with that old 4-track again -- but I need to get things done, not just screw around!

Reason just seems like a toy to me now, not a serious tool for finishing productions. Sorry.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Kategra, Steedus, strangers and 1 guest