POLL: Did you spend more or less in 2021 (to Reason Studios)?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Did you spend more or less in 2021 vs 2020 (to Reason Studios)?

1 - I spent more
27%
2 - I spent less
69%
3 - I spent about the same (within 5-10 $/£/€)
4%

Total votes: 97
stratatonic

01 Jan 2022

So, Reason Talkers, did you spend more or less money in 2021, than in 2020, to Reason Studios?

Perpetual upgrades, including JRR, AudioDeluxe etc Reason upgrade purchases / yearly Reason+ subs / RS REs)

Don't include Reward point totals for a RE purchase - just the dollar amount, if you spent on a Rewards RE.

This year, I spent $80 on Reason upgrade, and 25 for an Acoustic A-list for a grand total of 105.
I spent 24 bucks in 2020 on two 3rd party REs - I guess that was $7 for Reason Studios 30% cut! (but they still had their best year ever, even with my cheap-ass purchases,lol)
Last edited by stratatonic on 03 Jan 2022, edited 3 times in total.

WOO

01 Jan 2022

I spent 77 dollars last year on a few on sale re's and 3 dollars on the 3 for 3 subscription offer. For a total of 80 dollars. Most of my money last year was spent at plugin alliance and at ujam. I still haven't downloaded and installed 12 as part of the 3 for 3 promotion. Not going to because of all the problems with it and my promotion ends at the end of the month so I'm going to miss out on exploring the new additions to 12. I'll probably wait until 13 comes out to update assuming that happens of course?

Loque

01 Jan 2022

I spent less and less. Mostly because i already have everything i need. Only really good and/or very cheap toys trigger my GAS now.
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

01 Jan 2022

Can't say for certain but it definitely feels like less, the last device I brought was Algorithm and I avoided the sales this year completely while deciding what direction to move (standalone hardware or new DAW) this last few major upgrades have kinda been disappointing and although I would definitely prefer to stay in Reason I just can't get onboard with the current slow rollout of features/fixes along with the complete lack of functionality in the DAW.

plaamook

01 Jan 2022

I spent more because of 12 upgrade.
Last year was all vst’s. I don’t buy many Re’s because the major ones for me end up in the general upgrades. Grain. Mimic.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

guitfnky

01 Jan 2022

“bought” Friktion and Pattern Mutator with Rewards, and I think that’s mostly it for REs. I did upgrade to 12, but only because of a hefty raise that made the cost negligible. definitely not worth the $130 I paid otherwise. I suspect that’s probably the least I’ve spent on Reason in a given year since they introduced Rack Extensions. until they do something about the DAW, that’s only going to get worse.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

motuscott

01 Jan 2022

40% less according to my pencil scrawled calcs
I already have more than it would take the rest of my life to learn.
What is it about our mammalian nature that drives us to buy buy buy?
ReasonTalkers wanna Know!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Arrant
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2022

To my surprise I ended up spending more this year, 289 vs 218 EUR.
Before you say R+ would pay off for me, keep in mind it does not include the 3rd party REs, of which I own plenty.

Even though Reason is my main DAW, I spent far more on VSTs than in the Reason shop.

Rising Night Wave

01 Jan 2022

i didn't vote since i did not spend any money to reason REs or VSTs or so. - directly Reason related.
i did spend some money for WAV bundles. and that is all.
so if i am not wrong - you are asking for money spent for Reason REs and so. if i am not in error then i have no need to vote. otherwise i would vote.
but i spent in year 2021 more for WAV bundles as in 2020. i even do not remember if i spent any money in 2020 for anything Reason related. i think i started with buying reason related things last year - in 2021.
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

challism

01 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
01 Jan 2022
I avoided the sales this year completely
Sadly, so did Reason Studios!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Steedus
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2022

In 2020 I spent USD $25 (Republik Handheld Percussion)

In 2021 I spent USD $309 on REs and USD $99 on R+, then after realising it wasn’t for me spent $110 (ish) on the perpetual license from JRR…

Holy shit :?

Rising Night Wave

01 Jan 2022

Steedus wrote:
01 Jan 2022

In 2021 I spent USD $309 on REs and USD $99 on R+, then after realising it wasn’t for me spent $110 (ish) on the perpetual license from JRR…

may i ask you why? why you abandoned R+ and bought perpetual licence? if R+ is offering more than perpetual licence. :?
Rising Night Wave & Extus at SoundCloud
HW: Asus ROG Strix G513QM | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen | M-Audio M3-8 | M-Audio Uber Mic | Shure SRH1840 | Shure SE215 | LG 49UK6400
SW: Windows 11 Pro | Reason 10 | Reason+

Steedus
Competition Winner

01 Jan 2022

Rising Night Wave wrote:
01 Jan 2022
Steedus wrote:
01 Jan 2022

may i ask you why? why you abandoned R+ and bought perpetual licence? if R+ is offering more than perpetual licence. :?
Ahh well I already had 11 Suite so had all the extra REs at that time, and had planned to get algoritm via Rewards (but ended up getting the special bundle they sold briefly), so the only thing I was getting extra was the sound packs which I find only about 2% interesting for the stuff I make. I started to think about the fact the tracks I was working on in R+ wouldn’t be accessible if I ever let the sub lapse, and then with the announced price increase, I thought well I’ll get one more perp license and decide on R+ again later (presumably after more “sold separately” REs have been released to make it more enticing).

altron

02 Jan 2022

Wow man, reading through the thread here it seems Reason musicians are either very poor or stingy [Mod redaction]. I spent at least over 500, 600 $ on REs alone this year, and that doesn't include purchased VSTs yet. In total I easily spent over $1000 on music software.

EDIT: Slight mis-estimation: spent $1605 on REs alone in 2021. :? Some of them, I regret having bought.
Trap is where music goes to die.

Popey
Competition Winner

02 Jan 2022

I got one re and 2 vst this year which is a lot less than previous years. Very much like loque pointed out above I have a lot of gear now and need to make the most of what I have. Couple of my synths got updates this year so gave me new stuff to mess around with which avoids the GAS.

Only thing I didn't get which I normally would was the r11 to r12 upgrade.

guitfnky

02 Jan 2022

altron wrote:
02 Jan 2022
Wow man, reading through the thread here it seems Reason musicians are either very poor or stingy [Mod redaction]. I spent at least over 500, 600 $ on REs alone this year, and that doesn't include purchased VSTs yet. In total I easily spent over $1000 on music software.

EDIT: Slight mis-estimation: spent $1605 on REs alone in 2021. :? Some of them, I regret having bought.
or they just have enough already that buying more REs is unnecessary...or they think there are better tools in other plugin formats...or...
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

rgdaniel

02 Jan 2022

I reluctantly confess that I have a spreadsheet tracking all my music software purchases (about 95% Prop Shop) going back to 2017 and Reason 9.5. Spent a low of $365.35 (CDN) in 2021 vs. a high of $1,346.81 (CDN) + $820.46 (USD) in 2018. I regret nothing, or almost nothing.

stratatonic

02 Jan 2022

WOO wrote:
01 Jan 2022
I'll probably wait until 13 comes out to update assuming that happens of course?
Why would there be no R13? Are folks thinking that because there is a Reason+ subscription now, that Reason Studios will stop selling perpetual licenses? :question:

stratatonic

02 Jan 2022

Billy+ wrote:
01 Jan 2022
....last few major upgrades have kinda been disappointing and although I would definitely prefer to stay in Reason I just can't get onboard with the current slow rollout of features/fixes along with the complete lack of functionality in the DAW.
I'm a big Reason fan. I like the environment and the way things are basically set up. But yes, I would have likely upgraded more often - if there was stuff worthwhile to upgrade for. It has been a ridiculously slow dripfeed of features. And there is absolutely nothing for R12 for workflow. Insanity.

arnigretar

02 Jan 2022

I think I spent way more in 21 than I did in 20. Not having the numbers infront of me -- but I think collected all Panda's :re: this year (some were missing) , upgraded from Viking1 to 2 (finally) and got Legend from Synapse Audio, added some FX from Red Rock Sound and Ekssperimental Sound - and got the Parafilter III sequencer. All great stuff. And more music made!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

Billy+

02 Jan 2022

stratatonic wrote:
02 Jan 2022
Billy+ wrote:
01 Jan 2022
....last few major upgrades have kinda been disappointing and although I would definitely prefer to stay in Reason I just can't get onboard with the current slow rollout of features/fixes along with the complete lack of functionality in the DAW.
I'm a big Reason fan. I like the environment and the way things are basically set up. But yes, I would have likely upgraded more often - if there was stuff worthwhile to upgrade for. It has been a ridiculously slow dripfeed of features. And there is absolutely nothing for R12 for workflow. Insanity.
Yeah with any luck things will improve but let's all just be honest with ourselve, if you brought R12 because they said that things would be implemented buy January 2022 then you might have good reason for the disappointment especially given that all you've ended up with is more graphics for a yet to be fully realised combinator v2 the rest of the roadmap hasn't really happened and absolutely nothing of value has been added to workflow improvements.

Fact is if I woke up tomorrow with a free R12 license in my account I wouldn't use it.......

Mistro17

03 Jan 2022

I spent more than I ever did in 2021 because I had the extra money to get some things I been wanting for a few years. Now I have a feeling 2022 I will spend less than I ever did because my spending was to complete my wish list while I could. So I'm done with Native Instruments as I upgraded to CE, Cubase, a nice string library, got the 88 keyboard I always wanted and a couple REs I held off on until the holiday sales (everything was bought at great prices during sales btw). The only thing left for me is deciding what to get with my rewards points. I'm looking at Pattern Mutator but hesitant for some reason.

EnochLight

03 Jan 2022

stratatonic wrote:
01 Jan 2022
So, Reason Talkers, did you spend more or less money in 2021, than in 2020, to Reason Studios?
Damn - I should have read the first post before answering the poll. Lol :lol: I don't think I bought more from Reason Studios, but I did buy a Traeger pellet smoker and PS5, which easily put me above my 2020 spending for "fun, frivolous stuff most of us don't really need". :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

DaveyG

03 Jan 2022

EnochLight wrote:
03 Jan 2022
stratatonic wrote:
01 Jan 2022
Damn - I should have read the first post before answering the poll. Lol :lol: I don't think I bought more from Reason Studios, but I did buy a Traeger pellet smoker and PS5, which easily put me above my 2020 spending for "fun, frivolous stuff most of us don't really need". :thumbup:
Yeah, I also clicked "more" then read the question more closely haha. Most of my cash went on hardware in 2021. Not sure I spent a single Squid with RS in 2021 - I just snagged anything that went free (and mostly didn't use them). Maybe in 2022 R12 will get to a point where I am prepared to pay for it.

• Information