Mixer: High Pass Filter (HPF) - crackle sound -> normal??

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
orthodox
RE Developer

30 Dec 2021

Crackles can occur when the signal level changes abruptly. Does it crackle when you press the button with the HPF knob set to minimum (20Hz)? If it does not, you can automate the button state to change at that setting, then automate the frequency knob to gradually travel to the setting you need.

orthodox
RE Developer

30 Dec 2021

Eddi-16 wrote:
30 Dec 2021
thx - no this problem is only when the knov is e.g. to 50 and then I push the HPF button. I already know this workaraound to automate the knob, but I want it more for some kind of "live" setup, so no workaround possible. Jus push the button....

So it seems like every mixer has this crackle thing, right?
No, not every EQ or filter. Some implement a quick crossfade from previous signal to new one.

You can have two parallel bus strips, one with HPF on, the other one clean, and then mute/unmute them. Or you can try to build a combinator with Mixer 6:2, I remember it does crossfades on channel mute button changes.

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 Dec 2021

This is perfectly normal. It happens anytime audio is suddenly asked to change state as Mr Dox was saying. Yes, it can be smoothed but that can have downsides too.

Those Filters can be left in and tuned out of the way with no impact so if you need one later in the mix, during live audio, automate the knob, and even then you may need to put a tiny fade do it doesn't warp the signal so fast is becomes like waveshaping.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

guitfnky

30 Dec 2021

one thing I do whenever automating on/off buttons like this is to only change their state when there is no audio passing through (for example, between audio clips). that helps eliminate the likelihood of encountering these kinds of clicks and pops. the other strategy (which I use when the above won’t work for me) is to do what others have suggested—setting the filter to its lowest/highest setting, and then automating a smooth curve to turn it on (even a very fast curve works—as long as it has a slope)
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

orthodox
RE Developer

31 Dec 2021

I'm attaching a .cmb (R12, v12.2.3).
Attachments
HPF.zip
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

orthodox
RE Developer

31 Dec 2021

Eddi-16 wrote:
31 Dec 2021
thanks, sorry, dont know how to do it - see my attachment
I can't open it, it references some refill I don't have.

selig
RE Developer

31 Dec 2021

Options: dont switch when audio is playing = no crackle. Even in analog mixers a common trick was to manually sweep the HP filter to grab a plosive or similar when comping a vocal, since the ‘crackle’ happens in analog and digital systems.. You start with it as low as possible and raise it only as far as needed, then return it to its lowest setting. You can also automate it during a break if necessary.
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

31 Dec 2021

Eddi-16 wrote:
31 Dec 2021
Doesn't matter. I just want to know how to use it. When I create a new REDRUM , what I have to do then?
Just insert the combi as an insert effect and use the "Enable HPF" button on it.

Benedict
Competition Winner

31 Dec 2021

I was suggesting to use the HPF in the main SSL as you had shown as it is going to be able to do exactly what you want if you need to turn it on/off via Automation of the cutoff as it will not change your sound when the Freq knob is at the lowest setting.

I will recommend that you step back from the issue as you see it in close focus so you see it from further away as this lets you find these solutions and not get so frustrated and feel unable to do reasonably simple things.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

orthodox
RE Developer

03 Jan 2022

Eddi-16 wrote:
01 Jan 2022
orthodox wrote:
31 Dec 2021

Just insert the combi as an insert effect and use the "Enable HPF" button on it.
Happy new year!

Sorry, I just don't get it. When I do this with send effect, the Kick-Drum gets louder only...

Attached the song file.
INSERT means embed it into the signal chain. Either put the combi inside the Mix Channel the Redrum is connected to, into the INSERT-FX box of that Mix Channel, or place it on the wire between the Redrum and its Mix Channel (Redrum's output goes to the combi's input, the combi's output goes to the Mix Channel input).

• Information