CEO's 2021 review

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sonicbyte

21 Dec 2021

CEO posted https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/2021-review

I'm too sensitive here, or does this part of his post is a bit harsh with perpetual license owners (like me)?
I’ll wait right here while you perpetual owners thank your Reason+ subscriber friends, who made it possible for us to have a business model which allows us to continuously release improvements.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2021

"We’ve since released two updates and have one more to go"
That'll need to be a pretty big one I'd think.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

I'm too sensitive here, or does this part of his post is a bit harsh with perpetual license owners (like me)?
I’ll wait right here while you perpetual owners thank your Reason+ subscriber friends, who made it possible for us to have a business model which allows us to continuously release improvements.
Eh, I wouldn’t take it personal. But suffice to say, Reason+ subs probably saved the business. That only bodes well for everyone - including perpetual license holders who like to buy upgrades.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PitW.

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

No, it is a bit tonedeaf.
You could as well turn his argumentation around and ask him what customer group has made it possible to even develop Reason+ ?

Pepin

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

It's a bit antagonistic, especially in light of the price hikes this year. Many perpetual users have spent more than the annual cost of R+ this year simply by upgrading and buying one RE. And that's assuming a full price R+ subscription.

I guess the tone of the blog post is supposed to be playful, but that line doesn't land.
MrFigg wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Today's update is the third update for R12 though.

sonicbyte

21 Dec 2021

English is not my native language, nevertheless I think the "tone" is wrong.... Is the CEO, it should use words more carefully IMHO... to me it sounds kind of aggressive... maybe it's me

I give a f if it's thank to Reason+ or not, good for them if they find a great niche with subscribers...we ALL want Reason succeeds in the end, we need a better DAW...

DaveyG

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

I can't say whether you are being too sensitive but however you look at it that's a slightly dickish thing for him say and, having read it in the context of the blog, it didn't add anything to the blog and didn't need saying. I think he might be a bit sore at the mixed reception the subscription got. :lol: :lol: :lol:

selig
RE Developer

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

Only if you consider continuously releasing improvements to be essential. i didn’t have any issue with the “old” schedule, so not sure how thankful I should be for the new… 😏
Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Not a bit. Except for the direct appeal maybe. As a Reason+ subscriber, I am excited about the idea and waiting for your appreciation :puf_smile:

sonicbyte

21 Dec 2021

orthodox wrote:
21 Dec 2021
sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

Not a bit. Except for the direct appeal maybe. As a Reason+ subscriber, I am excited about the idea and waiting for your appreciation :puf_smile:
Hahaha thank you man, we owe you :clap: :lol:

Carrick

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

You have to see it in another light, on the first glance it may be a bit harsh towards guys like us, who have those annoying perpetual licences and still want support for our bought product.

But then the first quarter of the text is about justifying the subscription model, ok i'll go out on a limb here, if R+ was such a huge success and the tide would have turned i think the message would have been a different one and way shorter, he even tries to make fun of the situation stating only two people preferred subbing over owning. Maybe sometimes truth is hidden in jokes...

The part you quoted is something we often see when subscription services are mentioned, it basically suggests companies can only make good products if they already have a steady stream of income from their customers. While in theory that may work, it's such a huge power shift towards the companies which is simply not good. Usually companies first made good products which the customers then bought, which meant the companies take the risk and get rewarded if they do good.
With subs, customers should now put their trust in companies by giving them a monthly fee in advance to get promised features like VST3 or M1 compatibility (yeah i know there a billions of sound packs in R+, but are they really necessary?). Sure the customers can unsubscribe, but then they have nothing and their money is gone, which makes unsubbing not that easy for some people i suppose.

From Reasonstudio's point of view the choice is obviously very easy, they can (in theory) make quick money with new subscribers or they can improve their product to get people like me to buy the upgrade but then they would have to put more work into it than releasing some sound packs each month, you know like fixing the bugs, implementing the aforementioned VST3 compatibility etc. That's why they will keep pushing the sub model until the last one in controlling can either show some good numbers or has finally given up.

Atm they're losing out on money from me, time will tell if they got enough new subscribers that way and tbh if they would have shown a sign of good faith towards their longer customers by giving a discount on the R12 upgrade i propably would have bought it.
Last edited by Carrick on 21 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight

21 Dec 2021

I mean - let’s be frank - there’s not one person in this thread who wouldn’t benefit from a steady stream of revenue (the paycheck that many of us collect regularly). Mess with our money, and we need to make drastic changes which usually result in cost cutting somewhere or finding a new job. It’s not hard to understand that a subscription business helps stabilize monthly revenues. That’s something Reason Studios likely never had in the entire 25 years of their existence before R+ arrived.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

huggermugger

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

Yep. It's an arrogant thing to say and an indication that they're currently on the defensive. As a Reason customer, + or perpetual, I owe no thanks to Reason's other customers for simply being customers. On the other hand, the CEO owes the Reason+ subscribers AND the perpetual owners a big thanks for continuing to support their underdog black sheep of a DAW.

EnochLight

21 Dec 2021

huggermugger wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I owe no thanks to Reason's other customers for simply being customers.
I mean.. you kinda’ do. If you were the only one that bought their products, they wouldn’t exist.

client6

21 Dec 2021

There are other companies that survive without subscription models…the statement seems a bit childish (and wholly unnecessary/unproductive), like lashing out rather than accepting your strategy/ideas were not as brilliant or well-received as you had expected.

Companies thrive by adjusting, not trying to pin their lack of success on their long-time supporters and advocates.

PitW.

21 Dec 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I mean - let’s be frank - there’s not one person in this thread who wouldn’t benefit from a steady stream of revenue (the paycheck that many of us collect regularly). Mess with our money, and we need to make drastic changes which usually result in cost cutting somewhere or finding a new job. It’s not hard to understand that a subscription business helps stabilize monthly revenues. That’s something Reason Studios likely never had in the entire 25 years of their existence before R+ arrived.
I hear what you are saying. Rent to own was a step in this direction already, wasn't it?
Yes, for Reasonstudios as a company it is good to have subscription based recurring payers.

But this makes Reason a bit less "social". For people who know for sure that there will always be enough money to renew the subscription, it is a lesser hurdle.
For somebody who wants to make responsible money decisions, this might be a burden.

If you can't renew your subscription, you lose everything.
With a perpetual license you only risk not being able to afford an update, but you can always work on with your older version...

Carrick

21 Dec 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I mean - let’s be frank - there’s not one person in this thread who doesn’t benefit from a steady stream of revenue (the paycheck that many of us collect regularly). Mess with our money, and we need to make drastic changes which usually result in cost cutting somewhere or finding a new job. It’s not hard to understand that a subscription business helps stabilize monthly revenues. That’s something Reason Studios likely never had in the entire 25 years of their existence before R+ arrived.
Valid point, however owning a business poses exactly the risk of no steady income, plus with the added benefit of a huge income if everything goes well.

We'll see how it turns out, obviously most uf us here want Reasonstudios to succeed, for me personally though it should be without the current subscription model and most of all without the contempt which is currently shown towards the perpetual license holders.

Pepin

21 Dec 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021
It’s not hard to understand that a subscription business helps stabilize monthly revenues.
No one disagrees with this, but it's not a good defense of the statement being discussed, which comes off as ungrateful to paying customers.
He should have simply thanked R+ subscribers himself and left it at that.

Loque

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

Hum...how could they manage their business in the past? Gone on holiday until enough licenses were sold and than go back to work?
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

21 Dec 2021

MrFigg wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I think with this being a 2021 review, he probably means one more update is planned before the end of the year.

electricthing

21 Dec 2021

I think this CEO is the same as many CEO's. Did not build Reason up, comes from another background and seems to have an agenda like many have.
Let's insult the base of the customers. Bad negative move.
If I may say so....
Last edited by electricthing on 21 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

bxbrkrz

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

Perpetual owners (like me), aka fully-committed-to-a-product-they-loved-for-decades users, are still buying RE's, and RS+ users should not be worried, or their hope crushed, when getting the latest update of their RS (Roadmap Studios).
Someone here says RS+ users probably saved the business, while we've been hearing RS was fine and doing great?

Thank you to you all, + subscribers. I guess the non+ should be in a pit of The Perpetual Hell of Guilt.

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

EnochLight

21 Dec 2021

Pepin wrote:
21 Dec 2021
EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021
It’s not hard to understand that a subscription business helps stabilize monthly revenues.
No one disagrees with this, but it's not a good defense of the statement being discussed, which comes off as ungrateful to paying customers.
He should have simply thanked R+ subscribers himself and left it at that.
Oh totally - don’t misunderstand - I’m not defending the CEO’s trollish comment. I feel like he’s pulling an Elon Musk-level Tweet screwup with that one.

dioxide

21 Dec 2021

Great move trying to annoy the people who stuck with Reason for 20 years before the subscription service arrived when better options existed, offering audio inputs, audio tracks, MIDI out and plugin support.

The most important thing is how the coders and developers feel. If they are happy with how their new system works then it should work out well for us as users. So I hope all are on board with the new ways of doing things. CEOs come and go and it's possible that RS will get snapped up by another company at some point. So long as the Devs remain then I think we will be good.

guitfnky

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

I had to read the blog because I was for sure that couldn’t have been what he actually, said, and yet it is…

yeah, that guy can fuck right off. he can thank all the perpetual users over the last 20 years for getting them to a point where they can offer R+ as a viable product. what an asshat.

and yes, it gives them a steady stream of income. cool. so did every filthy perpetual who faithfully upgraded every time there was a new release. tone deaf doesn’t even begin to cover it. fuck these guys.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information