CEO's 2021 review

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
cymek74

21 Dec 2021

I couldn't give a crap about R+ subscribers vs Perpetual license holders, do what suits you, it's a choice. How do Ableton and Fl Studio get along without a subscription?, addressing key DAW elements within their update policy would be a clue maybe.
It's all the other crappy stuff that bugs me, releasing loads of stuff no one really asked for, irrespective of whether it's good/fun/useful or not, while ignoring what would be regarded as key features regarding sequencer and quality of life aspects of the DAW.
It was said that the guys working on the graphics and RRP were not taking away from the development of other areas of the DAW, who is working on the DAW improvements? any mention of this was left out of the last timeline after initially being stated.
5 months have gone past and V12 is usable but still has a lot of bugs and things that are not working as they should, with a price increase that if I were to Buy Bitwig today makes Reason twice as much, in fact, Bitwig on sale ATM is only marginally more than I have to pay for a Reason version update.
Only Daw without VST3 support unless you go for something super obscure, Renoise has this with one developer!
No VST midi IN/OUT still. I could go on, but for whatever reason, they will not throw the dog a bone, a bone that would be appreciated by the users, is it incompetence, lack of knowledge, or lack of will because these things aren't things you can sell.
You'd think I didn't like Reason as a DAW, but I really do, it's my preferred DAW even with its foibles, but I really wish I didn't sometimes, I use Studio One and Renoise also, they're great in their own right, but not as fun and inspirational as Reason, they also don't generate the resentment I feel sometimes, just sometimes, like now after reading this crap from the CEO.
Reason 12, Bitwig 4, Win 10 :recycle: :reason: :re:

EnochLight

21 Dec 2021

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

21 Dec 2021

what a waste of sugar!
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Steedus
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I'll bet perpetual license holders who are also R+ subscribers are confused what to do. Should they thank themselves?
Lol that's me (until May). Though at the rate they keep cutting the annual subscription price in half (just got another email about a 50% off deal), I might consider it again later on..

Honestly though I don't care either way, I fail to see how my usual license fee (plus RE purchases) are now not good enough.. But seriously, 50% of the people I speak to about Reason just roll their eyes when I suggest they now have a subscription option. The other 50% literally gasp and say "Reason!? That still exists?! 0_o"

rootwheel

21 Dec 2021

I’ll wait right here while you perpetual owners thank your Reason+ subscriber friends, who made it possible for us to have a business model which allows us to continuously release improvements.
I'll wait right here while you thank your perpetual owners from 2000 through to 2016, without whom there would have been no company viable enough to sell out to Verdane Capital.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2021

If the CEO gets the “perpetuals “ incensed enough that they move to another DAW then the next statement will be how happy they are to announce that R+ has been one of the biggest successes in the history of the company and 100% of the users have adopted it. Now there’s your business model.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

estuary

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021
CEO posted https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/2021-review

I'm too sensitive here, or does this part of his post is a bit harsh with perpetual license owners (like me)?
I’ll wait right here while you perpetual owners thank your Reason+ subscriber friends, who made it possible for us to have a business model which allows us to continuously release improvements.
.... :shock:
seriously...

Zac

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

I'm too sensitive here, or does this part of his post is a bit harsh with perpetual license owners (like me)?
I've just read the CEO's statement and he sounds deluded to me.

IMO the launch of Reason 12 has been shameful. Therefore 2021 should be a year for him to forget.

I won't be updating to R13 for £199 and I certainly won't be subscribing.

One thing I was grateful for was having my reward points updated. I got Pattern Mutator with it. But after a play I think I'm just a bit meh'd out with all these new devices. Probably my fault and frame of mind. Back to my Elektrons for me.

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Is that Stephen Curry?

Baylo

21 Dec 2021

Does the math even work out? From memory, wasn't Reason+ launched back in January? And is it reasonable to assume that a lot of R+ subscribers are on one of the many deals that amounted to ~$100 a year? Yet any perpetual user who upgraded to R12 paid at least ~$120?

So, in several months' time, perhaps the average R+ user will have contributed more cash to the company, but from where I sit I think I paid more as a perpetual user this year than as a subscriber.

Anyway, tone deaf for a CEO. I totally believe he was joking but, as someone else said, you don't joke about your customers. I'm not offended. I just roll my eyes.

fieldframe
RE Developer

21 Dec 2021

JiggeryPokery wrote:
21 Dec 2021
So either he meant it, or someone sure overdid the egg nog at the Xmas party! And multiple people will have read this statement and approved it before posting..Which additionally means they all think it's funny to joke at the expense of perpetual license holders. People who still pay them actual money. It's not Monopoly paper. Jokes are fine, but read the fucking room first.
"There is a grain of truth in every joke," goes the saying. Jokes are funny when that grain of truth is something the listener recognizes and can relate to ("so true!"). Jokes are not funny when that grain of truth reveals a view held by the speaker and not the listener, and that grain here seems to be that Agevik sees subscription customers as more valuable than traditional customers... which is almost certainly true from a purely financial perspective!

And so the truth of the joke is that the CEO is so focused on the "whale" customers that spend the most money that other customers are mere freeloaders to him. Which, I must admit, is actually kind of funny after all.

DaveyG

21 Dec 2021

BRIGGS wrote:
21 Dec 2021
How do we get our CEO upgraded?
Normal world: You just make a feature request on some forum or other and if enough people chip in then the company implements it.

RS world: You just make a feature request on some forum or other and if enough people chip in then the company implements it after 5 to 10 years unless they can't be bothered or whateverz. Then they tell you that you should be grateful. :twisted:

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Dec 2021

The statement felt queer to me overall, and I don't mean that in a "happy" Bronski Beat sort of way either, more of a creepy sort of vee vil tellz zu how zu ist feeling beekoz vee knowz vot ist goot vor zu, and vee knoz how happy ve ist feelink to know how happy you ist seeink ve hast given zu the felinks zat zu muzt be feelink zo zu don't need tu be having zose feelings zurselfs.

So, "We want Ernst" (and all his supposed secrecy)

:-)
Last edited by Benedict on 21 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

michael.jaye

21 Dec 2021

sonicbyte wrote:
21 Dec 2021

I was thinking it sounded shitty, but after reading the Blog I think it fits with the overall tone of the piece. Also it reiterating that subscription is funding development, whilst keeping in mind so many peoples opposition to it.

SJLx84

21 Dec 2021

It just makes investing feel precarious from here on out. Eff it, I will sell my copy after all and just go back to Renoise I think. Left a bad taste this has in terms of tone and division.
Huawei Mate book D14, Ryzen 3500U, 8GB RAM, 512GB NVME m.2, NI Komplete Audio 1, Reason 12 w/11 Suite add ons, Renoise Redux & Synthmaster 2.9.9. All work fine for me so far. :reason: :refill: :re:

integerpoet

21 Dec 2021

guitfnky wrote:
21 Dec 2021
a CEO shouldn’t be denigrating their consumers, even in jest, period.
Whatever else I may have said in this thread, I also co-sign this. It's a strategic foot-gun.

PhillipOrdonez

21 Dec 2021

challism wrote:
21 Dec 2021
I'll bet perpetual license holders who are also R+ subscribers are confused what to do. Should they thank themselves?
😂😂😂

Never change, you, 🤗

moneykube

21 Dec 2021

insulting statement... user since rebirth... reason 2.5 and up... if I add up the money I spent on countless racks purchased + updates... this statement falls in my f&^k u too category :thumbs_down: :thumbs_down: :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Billy+

21 Dec 2021

Baylo wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Does the math even work out? From memory, wasn't Reason+ launched back in January? And is it reasonable to assume that a lot of R+ subscribers are on one of the many deals that amounted to ~$100 a year? Yet any perpetual user who upgraded to R12 paid at least ~$120?

So, in several months' time, perhaps the average R+ user will have contributed more cash to the company, but from where I sit I think I paid more as a perpetual user this year than as a subscriber.

Anyway, tone deaf for a CEO. I totally believe he was joking but, as someone else said, you don't joke about your customers. I'm not offended. I just roll my eyes.
The math doesn't work out, especially when you consider that perpetual license is £200 and you will spend about that much or more per upgrade cycle to buy the extra devices. While subscription is massively discontinued %50 off.

And don't forget we didn't get a sale this black week or cyber Monday oh and isn't there some season of Reason sale at the moment again without a single RS product listed.

thedude

21 Dec 2021

Baylo wrote:
21 Dec 2021

I try to figure that math out too, even from the perspective of someone who is getting the $120 a year deal.

I got Reason 11 suite on KVR for $250, and after a few purchases during May Madness (prior to 12 launching) I have everything they make, and presumably, what is on +/companion.

If I want to upgrade to 12, at this point, it would be $199. But then, I wonder, what is the upgrade cadence now that Reason+ is out? is a new version due every year now? That's the only way + makes sense to someone like me, I'd think.

EnochLight

21 Dec 2021

aeox wrote:
21 Dec 2021
EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Is that Stephen Curry?
He shares all the salt! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

rootwheel

21 Dec 2021

reason-plus.jpg
reason-plus.jpg (295.85 KiB) Viewed 4311 times

Kuranes2021

21 Dec 2021

"I'll wait right here while you perpetual owners thank your Reason+ subscriber friends, who made it possible for us to have a business model which allows us to continuously release improvements."

What an epic fail. In the last 15 months I bought Friktion, Pattern Mutator and Algoritm full price, and about a dozen additional RE's. The first three RE from RS alone summed up to about 300 Euro. So, alone with those 3 RE I paid 60 Euro more than any R+ User who paid those 240 Euro.

Thanks for nothing, CEO.

(But countless thanks to Peter Jubel, Robotic Bean, the Panda & the other devs for developping those phantastic Instruments, as long as you bring out stuff like that, I'll throw my money at you!)

EnochLight

21 Dec 2021

JiggeryPokery wrote:
21 Dec 2021
he's the CEO of a $10m business.
Kuranes2021 wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Thanks for nothing, CEO.

Kuranes2021

21 Dec 2021

EnochLight wrote:
21 Dec 2021
JiggeryPokery wrote:
21 Dec 2021
he's the CEO of a $10m business.
Kuranes2021 wrote:
21 Dec 2021
Thanks for nothing, CEO.

Sorry, but I don't exactly get the connection between Jiggery's and my post.

Would be nice if you could elaborate.

• Information