Bassline Generator is Here... Check Your Companion...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
StephenHutchinson

09 Dec 2021

Check Your Companion...
Attachments
bassline generator+monotone.jpg
bassline generator+monotone.jpg (237.4 KiB) Viewed 9791 times
Bassline Generator.jpg
Bassline Generator.jpg (32.44 KiB) Viewed 9791 times
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

deeplink
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2021

Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Gardinski

09 Dec 2021

And even more amazingly, it's IN THE REWARDS STORE!!! :clap:

This is superb news... Finally, something to spend those lovely points on. :P

StephenHutchinson

09 Dec 2021

Here's a little video I made...

https://youtu.be/RMrndcvpKKc

StephenHutchinson

09 Dec 2021

Gardinski wrote:
09 Dec 2021
And even more amazingly, it's IN THE REWARDS STORE!!! :clap:

This is superb news... Finally, something to spend those lovely points on. :P
Noice! Just bought it for $49 CDN.

Trying it out with Europa and other non-traditional bass synths.

Faastwalker

09 Dec 2021

Insta BUY ......... I mean Insta DOWNLOAD (Reason+, thank you). It's very, VERY cool ;-)

StephenHutchinson

09 Dec 2021

Faastwalker wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Insta BUY ......... I mean Insta DOWNLOAD (Reason+, thank you). It's very, VERY cool ;-)
I just checked and it works in Reason 11 as well.
Reason 11 + Bassline Generator.jpg
Reason 11 + Bassline Generator.jpg (260.16 KiB) Viewed 9707 times

Kilsane

09 Dec 2021

this is the player that I like the most at its launch, it is really very well done and intuitive

PhillipOrdonez

09 Dec 2021

Yeeeesss let's trial

Reminiscence

09 Dec 2021

got it for $19 - yay for me - going to the bassment now...

RandomNoise

09 Dec 2021

I’ve been waiting for the official release before I could share my feedback here.

Disclaimer, like many other RS users I’ve been offered very kindly and generously by RS to test this player pre-release and share my video of using it.
I’ve ended up not making such a video and directly shared my feedback to RS.

I am big big fan of RS for many years and I love and enjoy almost everything that comes from this creative company, so this is not a rant, rather an honest and hopefully constructive review as a user. And I’m sorry if I'm ruining the launch party, but I just felt like it might be helpful to share my thoughts or perhaps someone could help prove me wrong or show me something I miss...

My overall feedback is that I could not feel excited about this player as much as I do or wanted to like with the Pattern Mutator.
In my opinion, this device is not as much intuitive as PM, and takes out the “groove” from creating baselines that I think are all about simplicity.
There are too many variables to tweak around, and they are too random for my taste (I am aware of the irony of my alias haha).

The ability to key in or record notes directly to the pattern like in Pattern Mutator is missing here as well, and its a crucial feature in my book, not sure why it’s been decided not to have it here as well, specially when there is 0 visibly about the notes unless you hover on or interact with them.

For some reason its also been deiced that a pattern can't go below 16 steps. This is odd, as polymeters are very important for some electronic genres like techno..

And thats what surprise me most, this device is targeting the electronic musician community which I extremely happy to see RS taking into account.
But I don’t feel like it does. I understand that it is not trying to emulate or come in place of those but, it lacks the charm and simplicity of classic analog sequencers that I feel much more intuitive and fun to use. Fun is a big factor here. I did not feel joy or fun trying to play with the Baseline Generator (Maybe it is just my strong taste in old school electronics). The good old Matrix wins this player big time in my opinion.

The results I got from it were not so much exciting for my taste. Might be just me, or could also be one of those devices that it will take some time for me to get use to and like, I don’t deny that.

Until that happen, I could not put myself to upload something I do not feel complete with or enjoy making just for the sake of it.

RS, if you guys are reading this, all is written with and from the love and passion for the all amazing toys you always provided us.
Just a bit disappointed this time, I guess :)

Reminiscence

09 Dec 2021

You can work some magic if you change the rate and the amount of steps. So no biggie if the minimum steps is 16, if it goes up to 64.

StephenHutchinson

09 Dec 2021

Reminiscence wrote:
09 Dec 2021
You can work some magic if you change the rate and the amount of steps. So no biggie if the minimum steps is 16, if it goes up to 64.
That makes sense. :puf_smile:
Last edited by StephenHutchinson on 09 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

StephenHutchinson

09 Dec 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
09 Dec 2021
I’ve been waiting for the official release before I could share my feedback here.

Disclaimer, like many other RS users I’ve been offered very kindly and generously by RS to test this player pre-release and share my video of using it.

I am big big fan of RS for many years and I love and enjoy almost everything that comes from this creative company, so this is not a rant, rather an honest and hopefully constructive review as a user. And I’m sorry if I'm ruining the launch party, but I just felt like it might be helpful to share my thoughts or perhaps someone could help prove me wrong or show me something I miss...

My overall feedback is that I could not feel excited about this player as much as I do or wanted to like with the Pattern Mutator.
In my opinion, this device is not as much intuitive as PM, and takes out the “groove” from creating baselines that I think are all about simplicity.
There are too many variables to tweak around, and they are too random for my taste (I am aware of the irony of my alias haha).

The ability to key in or record notes directly to the pattern like in Pattern Mutator is missing here as well, and its a crucial feature in my book, not sure why it’s been decided not to have it here as well, specially when there is 0 visibly about the notes unless you hover on or interact with them.

For some reason its also been deiced that a pattern can't go below 16 steps. This is odd, as polymeters are very important for some electronic genres like techno..

And thats what surprise me most, this device is targeting the electronic musician community which I extremely happy to see RS taking into account.
But I don’t feel like it does. I understand that it is not trying to emulate or come in place of those but, it lacks the charm and simplicity of classic analog sequencers that I feel much more intuitive and fun to use. Fun is a big factor here. I did not feel joy or fun trying to play with the Baseline Generator (Maybe it is just my strong taste in old school electronics). The good old Matrix wins this player big time in my opinion.

The results I got from it were not so much exciting for my taste. Might be just me, or could also be one of those devices that it will take some time for me to get use to and like, I don’t deny that.

Until that happen, I could not put myself to upload something I do not feel complete with or enjoy making just for the sake of it.

RS, if you guys are reading this, all is written with and from the love and passion for the all amazing toys you always provided us.
I suppose one could always use the MIDI "Send to Track" feature and then mess with the note/pattern lengths and moving the generated notes around to your liking. It might be a bit more work, but at least it would be an option to dial in exactly what you want. In this case, the Baseline Generator could be a good starting point to get some ideas and then go from there, no?

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

09 Dec 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
09 Dec 2021

Thanks for the feedback! Just to comment on these points. Record notes directly and being more of a simple analog sequencer is indeed a bit more techno, but as you even mention: we have those devices. Pattern Mutator hasn't gone anywhere and Matrix is as classic a sequencer one can imagine! We saw no reason in re-doing products that are already available, but rather make a unique take on making basslines. There'll be people who prefer this and others that think Pattern Mutator is the best bassline generator on the planet, both are completely fine with us! :)

Going below 16 steps is something I would also like very much too, 3 and 5 step sequences rock, but there were some design challenges and we didn't have the time to add it before launch. Hopefully in an update! Until then, a fun thing to do is putting a Pattern Mutator after a Bassline Generator to feed it with basslines you can then mutate, shorten and otherwise fuck around with. :cool:

RandomNoise

09 Dec 2021

StephenHutchinson wrote:
09 Dec 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
09 Dec 2021

I suppose one could always use the MIDI "Send to Track" feature and then mess with the note/pattern lengths and moving the generated notes around to your liking. It might be a bit more work, but at least it would be an option to dial in exactly what you want. In this case, the Baseline Generator could be a good starting point to get some ideas and then go from there, no?
I feel like this take the whole point of using such a player.. I use sequencers as an alternative to working inside the track because it inspire my results in different ways. But that is just the way I go about it.
And for the 16 steps point, sometimes less is much more in genres like techno. Many times i find myself randomizing patterns with the ABL3 and reduce the steps to 6 or so for some groovy polyemeters. Taking just a small repetitive and hypnotizing pattern from the whole if that make sense.

RandomNoise

09 Dec 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
09 Dec 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
09 Dec 2021

Thanks for the feedback! Just to comment on these points. Record notes directly and being more of a simple analog sequencer is indeed a bit more techno, but as you even mention: we have those devices. Pattern Mutator hasn't gone anywhere and Matrix is as classic a sequencer one can imagine! We saw no reason in re-doing products that are already available, but rather make a unique take on making basslines. There'll be people who prefer this and others that think Pattern Mutator is the best bassline generator on the planet, both are completely fine with us! :)

Going below 16 steps is something I would also like very much too, 3 and 5 step sequences rock, but there were some design challenges and we didn't have the time to add it before launch. Hopefully in an update! Until then, a fun thing to do is putting a Pattern Mutator after a Bassline Generator to feed it with basslines you can then mutate, shorten and otherwise fuck around with. :cool:
Thanks for replying Mattias, I'm a bit shocked of the news that Reason is not customized and tailored made only for me!! :cry: Just kidding of course, and I do understand that there are plenty of people who are going to enjoy it and have much fun with it :thumbup:

I appreciate that you are sharing the rational – and not re-doing devices does make much sense to me.
I become spoiled and always on the seek of new and exciting sequencers, you can't blame me for that, it is partially your guys fault! :D
Keep up the awesome work!

nickb523
RE Developer

09 Dec 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
09 Dec 2021

At least they thought of you. Nobody bothered to ask me so I've delivered precisely 0 content in the form of patches, videos, sound packs or anything else.

How did a seemingly huge swathe of the community get access to this? Was there a direct approach or was it just sent out in a blanket to some of the beta testers or something? Did any of the R+ creators get it? (I was expecting to see some R+ content but nothing so far today)

Although I'm not your bread and butter Technohead, I'm most definitely focused on electronic music so had someone asked me I totally would have done some content! :roll:

RandomNoise

09 Dec 2021

nickb523 wrote:
09 Dec 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
09 Dec 2021

At least they thought of you. Nobody bothered to ask me so I've delivered precisely 0 content in the form of patches, videos, sound packs or anything else.

How did a seemingly huge swathe of the community get access to this? Was there a direct approach or was it just sent out in a blanket to some of the beta testers or something? Did any of the R+ creators get it? (I was expecting to see some R+ content but nothing so far today)

Although I'm not your bread and butter Technohead, I'm most definitely focused on electronic music so had someone asked me I totally would have done some content! :roll:
You probably missed that message:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7525922

jamespember
Reason Studios

09 Dec 2021

nickb523 wrote:
09 Dec 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
09 Dec 2021

Hey Nick, we're trying something new with the Sound Packs for BLG. Have sent you an email.

Creativemind

09 Dec 2021

Brilliant. Can't wait to trial it later on today. I only wish sliding between notes was available in the bottom section with a slide speed option, then it would've been perfect. Palm muting would've been great too but a tad too hard to do me thinks.

Glad Ryan showed it working too. The first part of the video didn't look like he was going to demonstrate it. Phew lol!
Last edited by Creativemind on 09 Dec 2021, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

09 Dec 2021

Creativemind wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Brilliant. Can't wait to trial it later on today. I only wish sliding between notes was in the ???? section with a slide speed option was available and it would've been perfect.

Glad Ryan showed it working too. The first part of the video didn't look like he was going to demonstrate it. Phew lol!
Since Players generate MIDI notes, there's really not any MIDI data we can send that indicates a "slide". In most cases, this is actually portamento on the synth you're triggering and in that case it's all about those portamento settings and legato/overlapping notes in the sequence you're sending. :)

Creativemind

09 Dec 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Creativemind wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Brilliant. Can't wait to trial it later on today. I only wish sliding between notes was in the bottom section with a slide speed option was available and it would've been perfect.

Since Players generate MIDI notes, there's really not any MIDI data we can send that indicates a "slide". In most cases, this is actually portamento on the synth you're triggering and in that case it's all about those portamento settings and legato/overlapping notes in the sequence you're sending. :)
Oh I see what you mean. Portemento on a synth though would make it apply to all notes and not singular or selected notes only. Suppose I could use the Send To Track and do it manually using automation.

Creativemind

09 Dec 2021

RandomNoise wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Oh yes, that would've been awesome if you could do that. The icing or cherry on the cake.

Oh by the way, "Bassline" 😉
Last edited by Creativemind on 09 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Popey
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2021

MattiasHG wrote:
09 Dec 2021
RandomNoise wrote:
09 Dec 2021

Nice to hear less than 16 steps is possibly in the pipeline. 3 as a minimum would be fine imo. Looking forward to trialling this later.

• Information