Reason 12 and New MacBook Pro M1 Pro with Rosetta?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
npinero1

07 Dec 2021

I wanted to see if anyone is running the current Reason 12 with the new Macbook Pro M1 Pro or Max chips via Rosetta? Anyone?

Let me explain:
I love Reason! I have almost all the other DAWS sans Cubase. I keep coming back to Reason and especially on my Mac Pro 2020.

BUT, I need to buy a laptop because I have a gig that requires that I work remotely. I also realize that Reason will eventually get to optimize the software for new M1 Pro and Max chip, but how is it running under Rosetta?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

buddard
RE Developer

08 Dec 2021

npinero1 wrote:
07 Dec 2021
I wanted to see if anyone is running the current Reason 12 with the new Macbook Pro M1 Pro or Max chips via Rosetta? Anyone?

Let me explain:
I love Reason! I have almost all the other DAWS sans Cubase. I keep coming back to Reason and especially on my Mac Pro 2020.

BUT, I need to buy a laptop because I have a gig that requires that I work remotely. I also realize that Reason will eventually get to optimize the software for new M1 Pro and Max chip, but how is it running under Rosetta?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
I have a 16" Macbook Pro with M1 Max and 32 GB RAM that I got about a month ago.

I've mostly been running Reason 12 and Ableton Live 11, and also the Reason 12 beta (logging version) and Reason Recon 11/12 (for development).
They all run without a hitch. I haven't even gotten them to start the cooling fan on the MBP yet, even when I'm running two apps at the same time!

I haven't done any proper benchmarking or run any huge projects on them yet, though, since I'm mostly testing plugins that I'm developing.
But I tried running the demo songs in Reason 12, and the DSP meter is not moving.

turn2on
RE Developer

08 Dec 2021

Half year under M1 16Gb ram, and all nice under Rosetta. Waiting Reason native arm-support to test, before upgrade to M1Pro/Max.
Currently M1 mbp 13" power is enough for real work in Reason. Really right now not need in power of Pro/Max.

One thing with Rosetta and Reason, low-latency interfaces (like thunderbolt-based) have bigger latency.
As example on MBP 2018, I have in project using Personus 2626 about 1.3ms, and under M1mbp I have about 5ms.
So, when Reason start to work without Rosetta2, I can understand what really M platform can do, and does I need to upgrade on M1 Pro/Max, or better waiting new basic model like M2. Its cheaper, but anyway, M1 is powerful
M1Pro of course is better - have more powerful CPU, have more Geekbench results (up to x1.5-x2 times). But prices between them is also near to twice bigger for Pro.

Chi-Individual

08 Dec 2021

Is anyone doing a dual install of R11 and R12? I just got a MPB 14” M1 Pro 32gb Ram and R11 runs like silk so far. As stated, the DSP meter just doesn’t move. But I haven’t installed R12 because it was causing weird problems with R11 on my old MBP, glitches and sound drops that weren’t there before. I had to do an uninstall and reinstall of both in a particular order to get them to play nice together. Until R12 is rock solid I want to keep using both. Is anyone switching between them on the new M1 Pro or Max chips?

boomer

08 Dec 2021

I’m running R12 on a 16” Macbook Pro with no problems.

npinero1

08 Dec 2021

buddard wrote:
08 Dec 2021
I have a 16" Macbook Pro with M1 Max and 32 GB RAM that I got about a month ago.

I've mostly been running Reason 12 and Ableton Live 11, and also the Reason 12 beta (logging version) and Reason Recon 11/12 (for development).
They all run without a hitch. I haven't even gotten them to start the cooling fan on the MBP yet, even when I'm running two apps at the same time!

I haven't done any proper benchmarking or run any huge projects on them yet, though, since I'm mostly testing plugins that I'm developing.
But I tried running the demo songs in Reason 12, and the DSP meter is not moving.
Love your plugins and thanks so much for your response!
I look forward to the new plugins.

npinero1

08 Dec 2021

turn2on wrote:
08 Dec 2021
Half year under M1 16Gb ram, and all nice under Rosetta. Waiting Reason native arm-support to test, before upgrade to M1Pro/Max.
Currently M1 mbp 13" power is enough for real work in Reason. Really right now not need in power of Pro/Max.

One thing with Rosetta and Reason, low-latency interfaces (like thunderbolt-based) have bigger latency.
As example on MBP 2018, I have in project using Personus 2626 about 1.3ms, and under M1mbp I have about 5ms.
So, when Reason start to work without Rosetta2, I can understand what really M platform can do, and does I need to upgrade on M1 Pro/Max, or better waiting new basic model like M2. Its cheaper, but anyway, M1 is powerful
M1Pro of course is better - have more powerful CPU, have more Geekbench results (up to x1.5-x2 times). But prices between them is also near to twice bigger for Pro.
Awesome, thank you! I was considering the MacBook Air M1 but I have not decided yet. Thanks again.

npinero1

08 Dec 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
08 Dec 2021
Is anyone doing a dual install of R11 and R12? I just got a MPB 14” M1 Pro 32gb Ram and R11 runs like silk so far. As stated, the DSP meter just doesn’t move. But I haven’t installed R12 because it was causing weird problems with R11 on my old MBP, glitches and sound drops that weren’t there before. I had to do an uninstall and reinstall of both in a particular order to get them to play nice together. Until R12 is rock solid I want to keep using both. Is anyone switching between them on the new M1 Pro or Max chips?
Love that it runs like silk. That is encouraging. Thank you.

npinero1

08 Dec 2021

boomer wrote:
08 Dec 2021
I’m running R12 on a 16” Macbook Pro with no problems.
4 out of 4 is a great score. Thank you for your response

Re8et
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2021

turn2on wrote:
08 Dec 2021
Waiting Reason native arm-support to test, before upgrade to M1Pro/Max.
Really?? Sources??? :shock:

Heater

08 Dec 2021

Re8et wrote:
08 Dec 2021
turn2on wrote:
08 Dec 2021
Waiting Reason native arm-support to test, before upgrade to M1Pro/Max.
Really?? Sources??? :shock:
Reason published roadmap

KGB

09 Dec 2021

Anybody going to do Reason benchmarks or are you waiting for M1 compatibility?
I'd love to see a video showing real world scenarios and also trying to bottleneck the system with plugins.
I'm going to buy an M1 but I don't know if I should wait for the "M2".

npinero1

09 Dec 2021

KGB wrote:
09 Dec 2021
Anybody going to do Reason benchmarks or are you waiting for M1 compatibility?
I'd love to see a video showing real world scenarios and also trying to bottleneck the system with plugins.
I'm going to buy an M1 but I don't know if I should wait for the "M2".
I would love this in a basic setup:
TEST 1
10 Instrument Tracks
10 Audio Tracks
TEST 2
20 Instrument Tracks
20 Audio Tracks
TEST 3
30 instrument Tracks
30 Audio Tracks

I realize I am missing audio plugins but I can mange without using as many plugins given that the SSL mixer does so much for both Instrument and Audio Tracks.

• Information