Delay compensation and channel adjustments. (solved))

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Re8et
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2021

Hi.
I have this song setup, where I have the DRUM BUS on Bus n.2 and RET FX on a separate Mix channel.
I'm monitoring a Kick, with the FX chain bypassed and I get a 5-50ms? delay on the RET Channel.
On the main mixer it says 721 samples applied to the BUS 2, with another 64 on the Main Master Channel.
BYP.JPG
BYP.JPG (173.41 KiB) Viewed 401 times
Ok, I think, there must be something I don't get. Let's try it more simple, let's build a new song just for testing.
Just a redrum, and a tape echo, bypassed, out to a separate channel. Same delay latency thing happens....
byp2.JPG
byp2.JPG (148.83 KiB) Viewed 401 times
What am I doing wrong???
If I re-route the tape echo to fx return, the Kick go back to sync...
Why on Earth passing to a separate Mix Channel introduce latency and why it is not recognized by delay compensation???
Last edited by Re8et on 02 Dec 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2021

This is a known thing, Selig just mentioned it in another similar thread on stereo re: stereo/mono reverb send/return.

While you can indeed Return Send effects to a channel, it was never the intended approach and loses you the ability to Solo a channel and still hear the effect. And as you have realized, add un-needed latency seeing you are setting up a feedback loop that Reason is trying to make sure doesn't immediately swallow the universe with some latency.

If you are returning to a Channel for processing, you can do that processing between the Reverb and the Return (like wire RV>Scream>Return).

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Re8et
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2021

Benedict wrote:
02 Dec 2021
This is a known thing, Selig just mentioned it in another similar thread on stereo re: stereo/mono reverb send/return.

While you can indeed Return Send effects to a channel, it was never the intended approach and loses you the ability to Solo a channel and still hear the effect. And as you have realized, add un-needed latency seeing you are setting up a feedback loop that Reason is trying to make sure doesn't immediately swallow the universe with some latency.

If you are returning to a Channel for processing, you can do that processing between the Reverb and the Return (like wire RV>Scream>Return).

:-)
Ok, or put an audio splitter, and then re-route out to fx ret for zero lat, and others for extra ret fx mix channel, for extra fx chain... but with lat...
very odd, It wasn't my intention to disturb the universe equilibrium! I must pay closer attention to what I'm doing! :D :thumbup:

Ottostrom

02 Dec 2021

This is probably the third or forth time I link to this page: Why are some sounds out of sync in Reason 10.3 and later?

Re8et
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
02 Dec 2021
This is probably the third or forth time I link to this page: Why are some sounds out of sync in Reason 10.3 and later?
Oh, I remember now, I completely forgotten about that, thanks for reposting!
that worked!

Tweak

03 Dec 2021

This is also why I suggested saving buffer size per song, as if you increase this to allow a different more complex song to be finished, when you go back to your first song it'll sound different:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7519692

• Information