Reason 12.2.2 Mimic CV in bug

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
GenCode

02 Dec 2021

i couldn't find where to report bug on Propellerhead's website . may be somebody can advice where to report it.
well its very annoying cv Mimic modulation bug it only affect if you modulate sample start position via cv in . you have to draw mod one step before actual note on a player for it to take effect see screenshot 05.48.11
Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 05.48.11.png
Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 05.48.11.png (288.71 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
if you draw mod right under note as you should it does nothing .see screenshot 05.48.56 . i tested with different players / sequencer cv outs with same result . try it out and tell me if I'm wrong . well it seems that it is a definitely a bug :(
Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 05.48.11.png
Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 05.48.11.png (288.71 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 05.48.56.png
Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 05.48.56.png (290.69 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

GenCode

02 Dec 2021

Anybody tried yet ? just need a confirmation if is a bug !

Loque

02 Dec 2021

I didn't understood your problem, sorry.
Reason12, Win10

GenCode

03 Dec 2021

Terrorists blocking my thread obvious . not a single reply . therell be one or two from ther haha

GenCode

03 Dec 2021

problem is that cv out from any player sequencer going into any cv in of Mimic is off one step but only , one measure just try to follow pictures above and replicate it . how you done it and it works as expected?

/Users/gencode/Desktop/Screenshot 2021-12-03 at 10.06.51.png

RoryM0

03 Dec 2021

I see what you mean. You're right. I used RB Sequences on top of Mimic and set up the CV in to modify position as in your screenshot above and the CV 'misses' the note - it doesn't affect the sample position unless the CV sequence is set one step previous to the note.

I did the same set up using Grain so the CV in 1 modifies the start position and it works as it should i.e the CV1 value in Sequences affects the sample start position in Grain when it is placed with the note that triggers the device.

Pepin

03 Dec 2021

You're right, just tried this and does seem like a bug.

You can report it here ("Using the Software"):
https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

RoryM0

03 Dec 2021

While we're talking about Mimic oddities, have you noticed that the filter sustain slider tootip is measuring the value in dB? Not a problem, but bit of a weird one.
filterSustainTooltip.png
filterSustainTooltip.png (37.18 KiB) Viewed 1453 times

plaamook

05 Dec 2021

Yeah. Amp susatin too
Mimic is great but what a hack job of a release. And it doesn't look like it's gonna get the attention it needs any time soon.

My person fav Mimic bug is this!
Screenshot 2021-12-05 at 13.58.19.png
Screenshot 2021-12-05 at 13.58.19.png (325.2 KiB) Viewed 1403 times
If you load a long'ish sample (that on'es like 3min long) you can't see the top wav form, you lose the right loop marker, you can't adjust the left loop marker properly, it starts playing at some random place Before the left marker, and if you fiddle with it it just crashes the device.

I reported this like 2 months ago. It's still 'open' and I hope they don't just ignore it like they did with the Grain playback bug I reported YEARS ago that never got fixed, just magcally closed one day. But I'll save that for another thread. Plenty to batch about with mimic.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

05 Dec 2021

Also, I've just submitted a request or bug report about the interaction of the zoom funtion with the lop points.
As it is if you zoom in your loop markers just go off the main sample window and the only way to drag them to where you want them is this clumsy scrolling and dragging all over in the main window as you can't move the loop markers in the Sample Overview window on the top.
This is a ridiculous oversight if it's not a bug.

Or here.

Pepin

06 Dec 2021

plaamook wrote:
05 Dec 2021
Also, I've just submitted a request or bug report about the interaction of the zoom funtion with the lop points.
As it is if you zoom in your loop markers just go off the main sample window and the only way to drag them to where you want them is this clumsy scrolling and dragging all over in the main window as you can't move the loop markers in the Sample Overview window on the top.
There are shortcuts listed on the back of the device, no?
shortcuts.png
shortcuts.png (84.92 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

plaamook

06 Dec 2021

Pepin wrote:
06 Dec 2021
plaamook wrote:
05 Dec 2021
There are shortcuts listed on the back of the device, no?
shortcuts.png
Yes!
Whhops.
Thanks for that.

Tap to click on my mac doesn't work. I need to press the mechanical click to get it. So I still get to complain about something!
:lol:

Or here.

dioxide

06 Dec 2021

I think this is more likely to be a bug with the PolyStep Player. If you test Mimic's CV input it works as it should. The problem is that CV is often slower than MIDI. I think MIDI timing from the main sequencer is very accurate, perhaps sample accurate. MIDI timing between Players seem to vary and there is often some jitter. From what I recall of RS Players, the timing isn't that tight. Try bouncing the MIDI from PolyStep into the main sequencer to see what I mean.

In addition to this the timing of some CV devices vary. I use Directre or a Matrix to switch Note Receive on and off at the beginning of a bar. These two devices can do this well, but other REs don't react fast enough. Also routing through the Combinator (a CV to MIDI conversion) introduces a delay that means that the first note is allowed through.

This is similar to what is happening here where the MIDI Note On is getting to Mimic before the CV offset. If you try the same thing with a Matrix it will work, it is PolyStep that doesn't work, I guess because the timing isn't tight enough.

selig
RE Developer

06 Dec 2021

plaamook wrote:
05 Dec 2021
Yeah. Amp susatin too
Amplitude is measured in dB, and Sustain is a level control. Look at Thor and NNXT to see previous devices using this (logical IMO) approach.
Filters not so much, should read in semitones/octaves to be "accurate". One should be able to convert octaves to decibels by considering 6 dB = 1 octave change.
Selig Audio, LLC

dioxide

06 Dec 2021

I've just had a go doing the same with Sequences and it also can't do this. Trying the same thing with an NN-19 and a Matrix and it works fine, and this is via a Combinator which should slow things down. If you use a Matrix Curve to drive the sample start on the NN-19 it will work, but try the same with a Player and it won't. Is there a problem with Players and CV timing?

I had a go at this and discovered something weird. Load this patch and press play. The Sample Offset won't work. Now drag the Player from the NN-19 to the Combi. NOW it works.

PS: I've submitted this as a bug.
Attachments
Timing change.cmb.zip
(3.33 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

dioxide

06 Dec 2021

Here's the Mimic version. With the Player inside the Combi, no worky. Move the Player to the Combinator though and it works as it should.
Attachments
Timing change - Mimic.cmb.zip
(7.13 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

• Information