Reasonstudios Black Friday Week

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EnochLight

29 Nov 2021

ArcoZ wrote:
29 Nov 2021

Not necessarily. Remember Adam and Eve? They lost the paradise because of that "enlightment".
Had their been a Reason+ option, they would have been fine. Plenty of enlightened paradise in Thor and Neptune.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

29 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Nov 2021
ArcoZ wrote:
29 Nov 2021

Not necessarily. Remember Adam and Eve? They lost the paradise because of that "enlightment".
Had their been a Reason+ option, they would have been fine. Plenty of enlightened paradise in Thor and Neptune.
I know it's not exactly on topic but with the money I've saved by not buying anything during BF I'm very much interested in a Force and I know you have one so I would like to know how/what if any setup that interacts with Reason.

EnochLight

29 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
29 Nov 2021
I know it's not exactly on topic but with the money I've saved by not buying anything during BF I'm very much interested in a Force and I know you have one so I would like to know how/what if any setup that interacts with Reason.
Let's discuss in the Force thread right here: :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7525317
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

29 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
29 Nov 2021
Let's discuss in the Force thread right here: :thumbup:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7525317
Thanks, question available :thumbup:

Loque

29 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Nov 2021
ArcoZ wrote:
29 Nov 2021

Do not forget Europa:
Reason12, Win10

EnochLight

29 Nov 2021

Loque wrote:
29 Nov 2021
Do not forget Europa:

D'oh! Of course - how could I!

botnotbot

29 Nov 2021

Ok, this is strange. The website says that the annual Reason+ subscription code should be valid until midnight tonight (29 Nov).

However, when trying to redeem it, I get both a green checkmark as well as red text stating that it is invalid:

Any other late comers experiencing this?

scotward57

29 Nov 2021

botnotbot wrote:
29 Nov 2021
Ok, this is strange. The website says that the annual Reason+ subscription code should be valid until midnight tonight (29 Nov).

However, when trying to redeem it, I get both a green checkmark as well as red text stating that it is invalid:

Any other late comers experiencing this?
Make sure you have the annual plan selected and not the monthly one. That stung me on the first attempt.

nickb523
RE Developer

01 Dec 2021

Black Friday 2021 results are in and SKP's sales are down 46.1% on last year. That is worse than May Madness 2021 which was around 30% down.

Considering the overall Reason userbase is supposed to be seeing exponential growth this is very concerning.

Expectations for December/Season of Reason (if it's even happening?) are low.

thisisfineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
thisisfineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (233.49 KiB) Viewed 2908 times

flexluthor

01 Dec 2021

Well, they did do their best to hide the store. People are just going to have to accept that their "App Store" was just them jumping on the hip new tech trend at the moment. Just like their mobile apps. Just like their social platform. Just like the subscription model. They just copy whatever the new tech trend is and make a half ass version of it. Expect Reason coin next.

BRIGGS

01 Dec 2021

flexluthor wrote:
01 Dec 2021
Expect Reason coin next.
LOL... reason poo coin :lol:
r11s

BumCuddle

02 Dec 2021

So who else survived the daily barrage of emails reminding us R+ is 50% off? :clap: :thumbup:

BRIGGS

02 Dec 2021

BumCuddle wrote:
02 Dec 2021
So who else survived the daily barrage of emails reminding us R+ is 50% off? :clap: :thumbup:

r11s

Hoboys

02 Dec 2021

RS are becoming increasingly more brazen with their bs. In this next one, their devices are apparently so good that people are buying them like hot cakes even at no discount. The buyers probably find the REs in the secret shop by following the aroma. :D
crackmeup.png
crackmeup.png (649.15 KiB) Viewed 2661 times

Billy+

02 Dec 2021

nickb523 wrote:
01 Dec 2021
Black Friday 2021 results are in and SKP's sales are down 46.1% on last year. That is worse than May Madness 2021 which was around 30% down.

Considering the overall Reason userbase is supposed to be seeing exponential growth this is very concerning.

Expectations for December/Season of Reason (if it's even happening?) are low.

thisisfineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
Well I convinced a few people to tryout Reason+ for cheap/free for 3 months and everyone of them gave up so my experience of the growth in the user base isn't as positive as powers that be would suggest.

The main reason seemed to be cost as nobody wanted to pay full price - I thought that the cost for what you got access to was fairly reasonable and the fact that you could buy yearly subscription for half price seems ok.

Billy+

02 Dec 2021

Hoboys wrote:
02 Dec 2021
RS are becoming increasingly more brazen with their bs. In this next one, their devices are apparently so good that people are buying them like hot cakes even at no discount. The buyers probably find the REs in the secret shop by following the aroma. :D

crackmeup.png
If you read through the rewards thread you would see that lots of people used their reward points for those devices which would explain why they are still popular as you could get them for free ;)

Hoboys

02 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
02 Dec 2021
people used their reward points for those devices which would explain why they are still popular as you could get them for free ;)
okay fair enough, that could be it

nickb523
RE Developer

02 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
02 Dec 2021
Hoboys wrote:
02 Dec 2021

crackmeup.png
If you read through the rewards thread you would see that lots of people used their reward points for those devices which would explain why they are still popular as you could get them for free ;)
Reward points are definitely helping push those RE's up the charts but it's still indicative of low sales overall. Nothing RS should really be in the top sellers for a significant period of time now as they are all included with Reason+, unless of course the only people left buying anything are the last holdouts of the perpetual licence crew. That would actually go along way to explaining the current rate of decline, but if RS don't step in at some point fairly soon to let new users know about the shop then it'll be almost completely dead by this time next year.

My 2022 projections (factoring in shop royalties and sound pack production) put me in a position where I'll likely survive most of next year, but come 2023 I'll be hurtling uncontrollably towards unemployment. Very soon I'm going to have to start making really tough decisions in regards to the future direction of SKP.

Billy+

02 Dec 2021

nickb523 wrote:
02 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
02 Dec 2021

Reward points are definitely helping push those RE's up the charts but it's still indicative of low sales overall. Nothing RS should really be in the top sellers for a significant period of time now as they are all included with Reason+, unless of course the only people left buying anything are the last holdouts of the perpetual licence crew. That would actually go along way to explaining the current rate of decline, but if RS don't step in at some point fairly soon to let new users know about the shop then it'll be almost completely dead by this time next year.

My 2022 projections (factoring in shop royalties and sound pack production) put me in a position where I'll likely survive most of next year, but come 2023 I'll be hurtling uncontrollably towards unemployment. Very soon I'm going to have to start making really tough decisions in regards to the future direction of SKP.
I'm not sure what RS can do to make subscribers buy 3rd party rack extensions, why would anyone buy a device that requires them to continuously subscribe? I certainly wouldn't but then again I haven't purchased a single device this BF when I would normally spend at least £100-£200 during the same time previously.

I'm very much on the side of perpetual licensing and this is the first time since R1 that I haven't upgraded as currently I don't see the benefit, maybe when the roadmap is completed and I see what the DAW had added then I might consider buying it but as things stand and with this new agile approach I'm staying clear.

I guess if 3rd party developers along with RS push the rack extension subscription then that might encourage more people to tryout other devices but until you can use the devices outside of subscription I really don't see how you can get sales, think about it who buys something for £60 knowing they either have to spend another £400 for the license or continue using a subscription service.

EnochLight

02 Dec 2021

nickb523 wrote:
02 Dec 2021
I'm sure you're familiar with the term "never keep all your eggs in one basket"? Perhaps start spreading out your sound design talents to other companies - I can't imagine anyone betting on *just* Reason Studios to be their sole source of income - even when RE's were the only way to get new sounds/devices into Reason pre-9.5. You're a talented sound designer - maybe reach out to companies like Output, Native Instruments, Splice, LoopCloud, etc - and see if you can work out deals to do some work for them as well. And I wouldn't wait until 2022 - I'd start on that ASAP.

jam-s

02 Dec 2021

Billy+ wrote:
02 Dec 2021
I'm not sure what RS can do to make subscribers buy 3rd party rack extensions, why would anyone buy a device that requires them to continuously subscribe? I certainly wouldn't but then again I haven't purchased a single device this BF when I would normally spend at least £100-£200 during the same time previously.
Oh, that's simple: They should just offer a free empty Rack plugin VST like suggested by quite a few folks and devs here. And then if they wanted to they could super-charge it to eleven by implementing my suggestion here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7524555&p=581141#p581141

StephenHutchinson

03 Dec 2021

EnochLight wrote:
02 Dec 2021
nickb523 wrote:
02 Dec 2021
I'm sure you're familiar with the term "never keep all your eggs in one basket"? Perhaps start spreading out your sound design talents to other companies - I can't imagine anyone betting on *just* Reason Studios to be their sole source of income - even when RE's were the only way to get new sounds/devices into Reason pre-9.5. You're a talented sound designer - maybe reach out to companies like Output, Native Instruments, Splice, LoopCloud, etc - and see if you can work out deals to do some work for them as well. And I wouldn't wait until 2022 - I'd start on that ASAP.
I absolutely agree with this. I have a bunch of RE:s from Nick, and it's all high quality. I love the Zoetrope, Aura, Q-FX, and FAT50 RE:s. Over the past few months I've been wondering if Nick couldn't convert these over to VST format. I know how hard that would probably be but the audience I think is a hellova lot wider than what seems to be the case in the Reason shop.

The past couple weeks I've been taking advantage of the Black Friday sales of VST instruments and effects. I was lucky enough to get a crossgrade for the Arturia V Collection 8 for only $199 USD. Having a play with all these synths, and the parameters you get to play with under the hood when you own them all, is just astounding. And this goes for a whole lot of other VSTs out there that I've bought.

I love Reason, but I've made the decision (despite having created some of my own Reason ReFills and Sound Packs on my web site, that it's a dead end. I am proud of the work I've done with these, especially the Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes (which I actually started designing way back in 2006, and brought it back to life last year. I may at some point reduce them to "pay what you can" donationware, or just let them be free..

I think that the writing is on the wall. I have almost every DAW out there (Reason+ ...for now, Ableton Live Suite 11, Bitwig 4, FL Studio 20 (All Plugins Edition), Reaper, and Logic) and all of these help with sound design. I have to now look at Reason as just another sound design tool for creating musical bits and pieces, and just stop doing patches, or custom combi2 stuff for anything else other than for my own use. To be plain spoken, there just doesn't seem to be a demand for it.

What really keeps me up at night is... if and when, Reason Studios ends up closing up shop... will they at least let us keep using the software and remove the online authentication?
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

Loque

03 Dec 2021

nickb523 wrote:
02 Dec 2021
Billy+ wrote:
02 Dec 2021

Beside the comments from a few others, here are just my 2cents:
* Nothing is wrong with having multiple business platforms, like patches for other VSTi
* Create something else with the Guerilla Engine (i think the company offers more than just RE)
* Start coding VSTs
* Check out platforms like Kontakt, Modular, Cherry Audio and VCV. I did not have seen many good patches for VCV. Everyone raves about it, but no patches or i am too blind to find them
* Kilohearts, AAS, and probably others are interested in good sound banks
* Get your infrastructure ready to roll out quickly on many platforms

GL :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

nickb523
RE Developer

03 Dec 2021

EnochLight wrote:
02 Dec 2021
maybe reach out to companies like Output, Native Instruments, Splice, LoopCloud, etc - and see if you can work out deals to do some work for them as well.
That's pretty much the reluctant plan B. Thing is, up until R+ was launched Reason Studios had by far the most accommodating third party ecosystem. It was vibrant, exciting and overall pleasure to be a part of, no other DAW platform/ecosystem came close. Honestly, they are a great bunch of people to work with and I would much rather continue to nurture that relationship as opposed to heading out into the wild west on my ownsome lonesome. I just wish I knew (and I've said this before...) what the hell the overarching plan is? - Do RS want to continue working with third parties for RE's and sound design products or do they want just rid of us? Business is business, we are all adults here and I understand that RS don't owe developers a living, so if third parties are now surplus to requirements then it would be best for RS to just tell us straight so we can move on.

There seems to almost be some internal conflict that is sending really mixed messages to both developers and users. I mean, back in August I made that speculation video about the RE market which got noticed, the shop was reinstated to a position of prominence and we were reassured that "everything is fine". There was a little boom of sales, lots of new devices were coming out and even talk of returning developers which all looked good. But come Black Friday, our biggest sale event of the year RS didn't even tell developers the BF sale dates or that they weren't participating this year, we were seemingly completely overlooked. Also, as of yet I've heard nothing of the Season of Reason sale so I'm assuming that isn't happening either. All of this is just adding more and more fuel to the "RE's/RS shop is dead" narrative which isn't good for third party devs, RS or the userbase. Frankly, it's a fucking mess that needs addressed.

Pepin

03 Dec 2021

nickb523 wrote:
03 Dec 2021
There seems to almost be some internal conflict that is sending really mixed messages to both developers and users.
It does feel that way sometimes. I know your point about this earlier was pure speculation, but I do think the end game might be integrating 3rd party REs into Reason+ somehow--maybe by retooling the existing RE subscription plan as part of the service. To make that financially compelling for developers, RS would need to prioritize subscriber count over shop sales in the short term--while still keeping the ecosystem afloat. That's a balancing act and might explain their current behavior.

It's hard to say if such a strategy would turn out well for developers. I would guess most new R+ users would not be buying many 3rd party REs even if they were advertised heavily. It doesn't make sense to buy add-ons to software you don't own. And I doubt many are adding the existing RE subscriptions onto their R+ subscriptions either. So if R+ truly took off to an unprecedented degree, it would be a new audience for developers and could pan out nicely. But if R+ struggles to keep subscribers, and RS continues to deemphasize sales in the shop while trying to right that ship, the current situation will continue.

• Information