Reason Cables video is really good

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Hoboys

15 Nov 2021

I'm not too sure if this should belong to General or Tutorials, because I don't want to discuss the contents of the video per se, but how good it is and how Reason have finally made an actual educational video.

Just had to give it a Like. More of THIS, please.

dioxide

15 Nov 2021

Yeah I just watched this on Facebook and thought the same. It's great to see RS finally making more about Reason's free cabling and CV / modular aspects. Great work!

xbitz

15 Nov 2021

for AL/Bitwig/whatever users it enables macros without target control blocking

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ser-knobs/

generated modulation just the bonus :D
Last edited by xbitz on 15 Nov 2021, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

challism

15 Nov 2021

Hoboys wrote: ↑
15 Nov 2021
I'm not too sure if this should belong to General or Tutorials, because I don't want to discuss the contents of the video per se, but how good it is and how Reason have finally made an actual educational video.

Just had to give it a Like. More of THIS, please.
I think some Reason praise is refreshing to see right now. Let's just leave this positive post here in the General Reason forum, where you put it. :)

And I agree, it was a good video. I would like to see them do more videos in this direction, like they used to do.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

fieldframe
RE Developer

15 Nov 2021

Two things about this video:

- It's a solid tutorial that is accessible to newcomers, but could have a few gems for experienced users (I never considered using an LFO as a trig sequence, even though I know it's all just CV).

- It plays to Reason's strengths. Only Reason has this kind of modulation and routing, and showing how to use it well is infinitely more valuable than showing how to make a trap beat or something that could be done anywhere.

Steedus
Competition Winner

15 Nov 2021

I forgot that that combined cv output on pulsar was a thing :redface:

Mistro17

15 Nov 2021

Thanks for posting this! I am subscribed to that channel but somehow missed it. Wish I saw this video years ago. Like for one example, I had no idea you could use Redrum to control Kong via cv. I have so much more to learn. I hope we get more Reason fundamental videos like this. Actually would like to see more deeper into cv methods.

moneykube

15 Nov 2021

cv has always intimidated me somewhat... this video helps... thanks for sharing :puf_smile: :clap:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

littlejam

16 Nov 2021

hello,

newbie question here
i am not that smart with regards to cv
i own Kron RE (cv giant of a RE)

what does Arcos RE add to using Kron
the video above, the guy is using kron but showing arcos

i am confused
any help is appreciated

cheers,

j

also, great tutorial video by ryan, thanks

thanks for leaving this thread in the general forum
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

arnigretar

16 Nov 2021

Great tutorial Ryan. This is very important for the community and for people to understand how Reason can be a magic toolbox for uninspired musicians. Especially the newcomers or the ones who haven't dived into the back of the rack. :thumbup: Keep these videos coming. These will bring more people to the rack! Mos def.

And those jokes were great as well. CV: "the posthumously released solo album of Spinal Tap's 11th drummer." :lol:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

zoidkirb

16 Nov 2021

littlejam wrote: ↑
16 Nov 2021
hello,

newbie question here
i am not that smart with regards to cv
i own Kron RE (cv giant of a RE)

what does Arcos RE add to using Kron
the video above, the guy is using kron but showing arcos

i am confused
any help is appreciated

cheers,

j

also, great tutorial video by ryan, thanks

thanks for leaving this thread in the general forum
Arcus doesn't generate LFO's like Kron does. Arcus can be used to generate a static CV value to send somewhere, which can then be modulated with a separate LFO or envelope.

My typical usage of Arcus is with the 8 generic CV inputs on the combinator. If you wire an Arcus into a combi CV, and assign a Rotary knob to the Arcus knob, you basically can get 8 more CV assignable Rotaties (the combinator only has 4 CV assignable rotaries.

Arcus is also handy just for general organisational CV duties, a nicer CV spider, and a way to add curves and extra modulation to incoming CV signals.

Back to OP, great video! Good to see RS hasn't forgotten about CV.

Tinnitus

16 Nov 2021

I'll watch this later but good to see more of Ryan's excellent content.
Silly question but how do you route both stereo audio cables at the same time when you drag them or do you have to do them one at a time?

PhillipOrdonez

16 Nov 2021

Tinnitus wrote: ↑
16 Nov 2021
Silly question but how do you route both stereo audio cables at the same time when you drag them or do you have to do them one at a time?
If you take the left audio cable and drop it in the left input it will automatically connect the other one.

PhillipOrdonez

16 Nov 2021

I wish he had gone a bit deeper. He's much better at explaining this than others. The topic can be a bit dense and if the presentation is dull, I'm going to 😴

Djstarski

16 Nov 2021

Great video as always . I must be the only one that cringes seeing Ableton or any other music software in a Reason Studios video .

Billy+

16 Nov 2021

Mistro17 wrote: ↑
15 Nov 2021
Thanks for posting this! I am subscribed to that channel but somehow missed it. Wish I saw this video years ago. Like for one example, I had no idea you could use Redrum to control Kong via cv. I have so much more to learn. I hope we get more Reason fundamental videos like this. Actually would like to see more deeper into cv methods.
The cool thing about using kong to control redrum via gate cv is you can label the kong pads, then when programming the midi you get actually labels rather than the keyboard roll....

Tinnitus

16 Nov 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
16 Nov 2021
16 Nov 2021
If you take the left audio cable and drop it in the left input it will automatically connect the other one.
Thanks. Sadly it doesn't if you are moving audio paired cables, just if you are routing new connections. E.g. if you move the audio out of Europa to Alligator instead ( as a simple silly example) before you connect the two devices ( which does auto route the right as you say).

PhillipOrdonez

16 Nov 2021

16 Nov 2021
16 Nov 2021

Thanks. Sadly it doesn't if you are moving audio paired cables, just if you are routing new connections. E.g. if you move the audio out of Europa to Alligator instead ( as a simple silly example) before you connect the two devices ( which does auto route the right as you say).
You unplug the R cable before you attempt a new connection

Loque

16 Nov 2021

Good video. Hope it gets more ppl into the magic of CV.
Reason12, Win10

Tinnitus

16 Nov 2021

16 Nov 2021

You unplug the R cable before you attempt a new connection
Thank you!

Popey
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2021

16 Nov 2021
16 Nov 2021
Never knew this and must always connect right cable first or would have noticed. Next thing you will be telling me there is a way to connect things in a big rack without all the scrolling πŸ˜€

PhillipOrdonez

16 Nov 2021

Popey wrote: ↑
16 Nov 2021
16 Nov 2021

Never knew this and must always connect right cable first or would have noticed. Next thing you will be telling me there is a way to connect things in a big rack without all the scrolling πŸ˜€
If you right click a socket, you can route it to anywhere you want from the menu that pops up.

Mistro17

16 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote: ↑
16 Nov 2021
Mistro17 wrote: ↑
15 Nov 2021
The cool thing about using kong to control redrum via gate cv is you can label the kong pads, then when programming the midi you get actually labels rather than the keyboard roll....
This rabbit hole just gets better huh? :thumbup: Thanks

Popey
Competition Winner

16 Nov 2021

16 Nov 2021
16 Nov 2021

If you right click a socket, you can route it to anywhere you want from the menu that pops up.
:shock: cool, scrolling while holding a cv jack really was a pain. One day I should really start reading manuals 🀣

PhillipOrdonez

16 Nov 2021

16 Nov 2021
16 Nov 2021

:shock: cool, scrolling while holding a cv jack really was a pain. One day I should really start reading manuals 🀣
I try to everything tidy and stuff shouldn't be too far if everything else is minimised, you know? Myself, I seldom use the right click menu πŸ˜‚

• Information