Very disappointed with Reason 12 upgrade

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kbard

11 Nov 2021

I am really disappointed with the Reason 12 upgrade. I am running latest version on windows. Almost on a weekly basis I am running into weird problems and stuff which worked fantastic in Reason 11 seems to be not working on that level or not at all in Reason 12 (as I reported a week before).

Here I am uploading a video on youtube. It's unlisted so only members with links can see it.You can see that what used to be just normal from Reason 9 up to 11 now is not working at all.

I am just trying to move several devices from Insert FX to the area below Redrum (I have my reason why) and I am getting flickering below Redrum and it's pretty much impossible to drag or drop effects from the InsertFX below the Redrum.

Now please don't ask me "why do I want to do that" or some steering question because I am seeing a trend lately.

Usual stuff clearly isn't working the way it used to work. And on the very same computer Reason 9, 10 and 11 are working just fine. So it's not my computer. I already uninstalled Reason 12, installed again trashed preferences and whatnot.

I just wanted to point out my frustration and hopefully I won't end up being attacked by it. I regret upgrading to 12 because as much reservation and understanding I had I think rudimentary stuff can not be excused.

You can see in the video that I am not able to drag FX out of their slot. At first I was thinking perhaps it's something about the new combinator or whatever and this is not working when effects are connected. So you see me disconnecting all effects but Reason 12 still doesn't allow me to drag FX out of the Insert FX window at all.

It instead moves the whole channel even though it isn't selected. Then later in Reason 11 around 1:08 I am demonstrating the same thing. You can visually see Reason 11 from the size of the devices.

It works just fine in Reason 11 and all earlier editions.

Very disappointed.

Ottostrom

11 Nov 2021

The drag n drop flickering is an absolute pain to work with... I'm having the same experience as in your video

PhillipOrdonez

11 Nov 2021

I just tried this. It works with some effects of you do it one by one, but the half rack effects don't like to be moved without the mix channel 🤔

Billy+

11 Nov 2021

Ignoring the flickering try turning off auto group devices to see if you can drag the selection also I'm not sure but you might have to hold shift at the same time?

kbard

11 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Nov 2021
Ignoring the flickering try turning off auto group devices to see if you can drag the selection also I'm not sure but you might have to hold shift at the same time?
Turning it off worked (no shift stroke needed) but I need it to be set to ON because it's the part of my workflow. I can't jump in menu and switch off or on things only in order to be able to drag and drop since forever.

Thanks guys for your help I really appreciate it. I am looking forward they fix this. As the user above you pointed out - it seems it's mostly affected with half rack sized effects.

plaamook

11 Nov 2021

I don’t know if it’s a standard command or if I programmed it into my Mac short cuts but try something like command G to toggle grouping on and off.
I’ve had the same problem in all versions and this sorts it out quick.

Also is there a way of setting per app shortcuts in windows? Id be surprised if not since they invented them.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

11 Nov 2021

Anyway, I guess you’re slightly less disappointed in R12 now. That’s a kind of win!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

challism

11 Nov 2021

Yes, this is a total PITA, I agree. Moving devices around the rack is a terrible experience now. I found that hitting shift can sometimes help.

I'm also experience mad flashes of anger when I accidentally click and slightly move a device, then Reason rearranges my rack. It shouldn't do that. We should be able to easily arrange/stack our devices in any order we want. I don't recall it being difficult in earlier versions. Hopefully they get it sorted out soon.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

miscend

11 Nov 2021

Have you tried holding the shift key when you do it?

Ottostrom

11 Nov 2021

challism wrote:
11 Nov 2021
I'm also experience mad flashes of anger when I accidentally click and slightly move a device, then Reason rearranges my rack.
:exclamation: YES :exclamation:
This makes me say horrible things out loud when it happens

chaosroyale

11 Nov 2021

Hard Agree with OP. This is why I uninstalled R12 after just 10 minutes of trying it.

They made the rack WORSE. How is that possible, considering the rack is supposed to be the unique selling point of Reason.

They also f-ed up the look of the rack: nothing lines up cleanly, and the multiple thick borders on the nested devices A: look terrible and B: waste a ton of precious screen space (which Reason was already bad at - the new HD GUI was their chance to make a cleaner, tighter interface, but they made it even clunkier and more spacewastey)

Until the rack can *at least* be ordered any way I want by smoothly dragging devices/combis to any place I want, it is simply unusable for me and anyone who uses complicated networks of devices.

Many of the problems with Reason honestly seem like they happened because the devs and designers *don't actually use it beyond the most basic shit*. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me...If they wrote long songs/soundtracks they would fix the sequencer zoom. If they used lots of automation, they would add text input. If they used the rack deeply, they would not have made this terrible rack UI. etc etc.

ArcoZ

11 Nov 2021

You don't understand that Reason is a dead meat.
The problem you mentioned is a very deep programming issue concerning highres graphics. They can't come up with solution within weeks. That's why they delay all the upgrades.
RS is in a programming trap. They're not able to match your expectation because more and more new issues. I'm really sorry for them, but that's reality.
Reason framework is not flexible enough to do changes demanded by modern standards. It needs to rewrite the code that is impossible.
So you should not expect to cure problems but to get painkillers.

EnochLight

11 Nov 2021

kbard wrote:
11 Nov 2021
I am really disappointed with the Reason 12 upgrade. ...It works just fine in Reason 11 and all earlier editions.

Very disappointed.
Yeah well, I feel your pain but I can also see how difficult this must be for Reason Studios to "fix", since I cannot recreate the issue you're having on my machine. In fact, doing exactly what you're doing works just fine with no glitches, just like 11 and earlier versions:

What are your system specs? Do you have Hyperthreading off? Is Reason actually assigned to your GPU?
ArcoZ wrote:
11 Nov 2021
You don't understand that Reason is a dead meat.
This really is nonsense, sorry. :shock: :?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

m.arthur

11 Nov 2021

Hmm, I'm not having any of the graphics issues described in this thread, so this is clearly a per-system thing. Maybe a Windows thing? (I'm on Mac).

My issue is that the Browser is a bit sluggish -- clicking any tab, it takes a moment for it to render all the items in that section (e.g. instruments, etc).

Also, when I drag anything into the rack, there is still a pause before it appears in the rack, which again makes things feel sluggish.

But as for this flickering / things not 'lining up' / other graphical stuff, I have not been seeing that.

EnochLight

11 Nov 2021

m.arthur wrote:
11 Nov 2021
Hmm, I'm not having any of the graphics issues described in this thread, so this is clearly a per-system thing. Maybe a Windows thing? (I'm on Mac).

My issue is that the Browser is a bit sluggish -- clicking any tab, it takes a moment for it to render all the items in that section (e.g. instruments, etc).

Also, when I drag anything into the rack, there is still a pause before it appears in the rack, which again makes things feel sluggish.

But as for this flickering / things not 'lining up' / other graphical stuff, I have not been seeing that.
I'm on Windows, and R12.2.1d50 works fine as far as dragging insert effects around - no glitches. Can't reproduce the OP's issue at all, so it's definitely a per-system issue (which makes trouble-shooting all the more difficult). I can, however, reliably hard CRASH Reason just by entering a search tag into the search box, while trying to do a quick search for one of my Favorites. I'm certainly not denying Reason 12 needs fixing and improvements, but people (like the OP) need to realize that if RS devs can't duplicate the issue on their end, it makes trying to fix it all the more problematic.

Check this out:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

11 Nov 2021

Looking at the problems right across the board with R12 and the fact that so many people are experiencing difficulties in multiple ways does start to be quite alarming especially when others can prove they don't experience the issues in any way.

Maybe R12 should be put on the back burner and R11 should should get some fixes while the developers consider what is wrong with the changes in R12.

No wonder why they haven't updated the roadmap or been communicating as much since they missed the last update date......

I really hope that they get ontop of these things soon especially given the push for a wider audience, I like many people have used Reason since version 1 and have hardly ever seen any issue and nothing has ever made me second guess choosing Reason but the current situation makes me wonder why they haven't pulled it off by now

EnochLight

11 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Nov 2021
Maybe R12 should be put on the back burner and R11 should should get some fixes while the developers consider what is wrong with the changes in R12.
Reason 11 is done. It’s no longer supported. They absolutely should (and are) focusing on 12.

Heater

11 Nov 2021

I don't see those issues on multiple Macs. Looks like a PC related issue.
Is is possible to run it in low res mode on a PC and if so, does the issue still happen?

Billy+

11 Nov 2021

EnochLight wrote:
11 Nov 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Nov 2021
Reason 11 is done. It’s no longer supported. They absolutely should (and are) focusing on 12.
Don't take my comments as a negative I really do hope they pull it together but as you clearly prove it is going to take some work to get on top of the issues and can't be doing anything positive for Reason

orthodox
RE Developer

11 Nov 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Nov 2021
Looking at the problems right across the board with R12 and the fact that so many people are experiencing difficulties in multiple ways does start to be quite alarming especially when others can prove they don't experience the issues in any way.

No wonder why they haven't updated the roadmap or been communicating as much since they missed the last update date......

I really hope that they get ontop of these things soon especially given the push for a wider audience, I like many people have used Reason since version 1 and have hardly ever seen any issue and nothing has ever made me second guess choosing Reason but the current situation makes me wonder why they haven't pulled it off by now
I think, let those experiencing issues with R12 put it on the back burner and let us others alone. Why should we suffer now?

Stamatz

11 Nov 2021

Unfortunately this seems the way of the world with developers these days.

Develop a product, claim it's finished and ready for release, release it and when users find out the truth and the gig is up, they put out a roadmap and then apologize.

I can't stand when companies do this and there should be some kind of law against such actions. I wonder if this would fall under the false advertising law we have in the USA?

They should look at how Microsoft/Asobo studios updates the community for MSFS2020. They too did the exact same thing, released a half finished product to meet a deadline and when the users got their hands on it, the gig was up and the forum lit up like a Xmas tree. Shortly after, they provided a roadmap. The diference is MS/Asobo updates the roadmap weekly, have bi-weekly live chats with the head of Asobo and a few developers in which you can ask them anything you want and they are transparent with what exactly they are working on and when the users can expect an update.

It really goes a long way and that community has adapted nicely to MS/Asobos update process/timeline. For instance a major update is coming 11/18 and yo can bet your bottom dollar it will come on 11/18. What you can't bet on is that the updates fixes more than what it breaks...lol.

I read somewhere on this forum in October that an update will fix the other design elements on the transport bar and such but I check everyday and no update. No emails, no nothing from Reason which is not very transparent.

Don't get me wrong, I love Reason, it's my only daw and I am just a hobbyist but R12 has really turned me off, I haven't opened R10/R11 or R12 in weeks other than to check if there is any updates for R12.

It's like something I loved and used almost everyday became something that's not very appeasing to me anymore. Although I'm a perpetual license holder, I cancelled my R+ subscription. No reason to have that if I don''t even use R12 very much anymore. I'm kinda losing all interest in Reason until hopefully the next update whenever that may be will bring me back in sync with this program. I just have a very bad taste in my mouth right now with R12. Anyway there are way more important things going on today.
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2021

orthodox wrote:
11 Nov 2021

I think, let those experiencing issues with R12 put it on the back burner and let us others alone. Why should we suffer now?
A tiny change in the code, or order you machine loads drivers could flip it so that it becomes a problem you and many others experience.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2021

ArcoZ wrote:
11 Nov 2021
Reason framework is not flexible enough to do changes demanded by modern standards. It needs to rewrite the code that is impossible.
So you should not expect to cure problems but to get painkillers.
WRONG. They have rewritten the code.

All you're seeing right now are the sorts of glitches that can happen during this type of switch to GPU acceleration.

The only difference is that teams don't usually share the codebase at this state.

There's nothing out of the ordinary here, other than this period taking place under public scrutiny.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
11 Nov 2021
Hard Agree with OP. This is why I uninstalled R12 after just 10 minutes of trying it.
Same. I even cancelled my R+ trial early and I've not installed 10 (or even had a chance to play around with my latest RE purchases).

I think I'll be futzing around in Maschine for the next few months while R12 is brought up to production quality.

orthodox
RE Developer

11 Nov 2021

avasopht wrote:
11 Nov 2021
orthodox wrote:
11 Nov 2021

A tiny change in the code, or order you machine loads drivers could flip it so that it becomes a problem you and many others experience.
Let it happen first. Now it looks like complaining grows into terrorizing. Some would just like it to become everyone's problem to impose their view.

• Information