Recording MIDI from Redrum into Sequencer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Sasquatch

09 Nov 2021

Maybe I'm daft, but this question is killing me...

How can I record MIDI data from Redrum directly into the Sequencer? What I'd like to do is press record, play a drum groove with the pads on my MIDI controller, and have the MIDI info show up in the sequencer. When I try this the sequencer looks like it's recording (note lane turns red), but then nothing is captured there.

I can copy Redrum patterns to a sequencer track and edit them no problem. I can set up an audio track to capture the audio of Redrum groove that I play live with my controller.

But, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to record MIDI information from a Redrum groove that I play live.

Am I an idiot or is this not possible?

THANK YOU!

selig
RE Developer

09 Nov 2021

Have you previously been able to record your pads MIDI performances? I'm assuming you have, and that you've already setup your pad controller as a device in Reason - if not, we can start there.
No you are not an idiot, getting things setup correctly is sometimes not as straightforward as one would like.
Selig Audio, LLC

artotaku

09 Nov 2021

You actually can not AFAIK, maybe I´m wrong - at least not so easy since Redrum does not create any MIDI data while running. But we have Gate CV outs which can be used.
Now comes the MIDI loopback trick that basically solves every problem in Reason ;-)
You could connect the CV gate out to the MIDI out device which sends the MIDI to the loopback driver and then back in to Reason via Reason´s MIDI hardware interface to an instrument that has a MIDI track and record it.

EDIT - I was wrong you can just record MIDI with a MIDI controller for Redrum if you have a MIDI track for it

huggermugger

09 Nov 2021

Add the Redrum to the Rack. Notice it got its own track in the Sequencer.
Turn off Enable Pattern Section on Redrum.
Hit your pads to make sure you hear something.
Enter record mode and start playing.
Works like any other synth would.

jam-s

09 Nov 2021

Are you by chance using the "Advanced MIDI" section of the "Hardware Interface" in the Rack to assign your pad controller to Redrum? If so, then you cannot record the incoming MIDI into the sequencer.

Sasquatch

09 Nov 2021

Thanks all!

This is my first post here. Started using Reason 2.5 years ago, never went to deep with it, and recently got set up with Reason 11. My frustrated journey that led to this question came from trying to set up a new Novation Launchkey 37 last night.

So, I think this ended up being a MIDI controller issue rather than a real Reason issue. Out of the box, the pads on the Novation were mapped to trigger drums in Redrum as expected, but seemed not to be outputting note values (and thus MIDI info). When I shifted the keyboard down a couple octaves and started playing around C1, the sequencer recorded the MIDI info as I hoped. I then figured out that I could map the pads to the same note values and, once I did that, I could use the pads to play Redrum sounds and record in the Sequencer.

Whew!

Anybody else here using a Launchkey 37 with Reason?

Thanks again for the help! I should have started here instead of going down the Google rabbit hole... :)

• Information