Reason 12 saving project - terribly slow when compared to all earlier versions.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kbard

03 Nov 2021

Why is saving so slow on R12?

Running the latest R12 version. I press save and in most cases it takes between 20 seconds up to 60 seconds. To save a file which contains Redrum and Subtractor + 1 reverb and delay. When I press Save R12 freezes and the screen becomes white and there's a spinning circle like it's saving terabytes of data and of course the whole computer hangs. It takes so long that in some cases Windows asks me if I want to wait for R12 to respond or should I wait for the app to return to normal. I always opt to wait and then it somehow saves the file and all is fine.

On very rare occasions saving is instant like it's in R11 but this happens randomly. Like out of 10 times when I am saving with R12, 9 times is super slow then the 10th time it's within 2-3 seconds.

I tried several times to replicate this behavior in R11 and no matter how big the project is in R11 saving is instant. I can save 40 audio tracks and 40 plugins in R11 within one second.

R12 is super slow when saving. I am running both R11 and R12 on the same computer. Saving was always within one second in all versions I ever tried from R9 to R11. Project size didn't play any role it always saved instantly and it still does. But not on R12.

I am running two high performance Nvme drives connected directly to the Motherboard via PCIe v4.0 lane. Surely it isn't my HDD which is slow. And it's not filled or something.

Any clue? It feels as a step back not step forward.

selig
RE Developer

03 Nov 2021

Not sure it is restricted to R12…
I've suffered from the same thing on R11 FWIW, just finished a project mixing 11 songs and wanted to finish on R11 before updating to R12. Never seen saves take that long (sometimes over 1min), have moved to R12 but have not tested save time on a bigger project. And by bigger, I mean only 20-30 tracks - not 100+ or anything near!
Selig Audio, LLC

kbard

03 Nov 2021

selig wrote:
03 Nov 2021
I've suffered from the same thing on R11 FWIW, just finished a project mixing 11 songs and wanted to finish on R11 before updating to R12. Never seen saves take that long (sometimes over 1min), have moved to R12 but have not tested save time on a bigger project. And by bigger, I mean only 20-30 tracks - not 100+ or anything near!
Thanks for your input but I am belive this is not the case. Because today I installed Reason 12 and 11 on a completely different computer with different CPU and clean Windows and so far behavior is exactly the same!

First configuration is Ryzen 5950
This second is i7 CPU and SSD (not nvme). Same behavior.

At this point I installed Reason 12 demo on my wife notebook (I don't know which CPU is there) and there it's exactly the same! And her computer is some slow HDD I imagine.

So on three computers adding same number of devices in R11 and saving session is just a second if not even lower. On Reason 12 - recreating same session and trying to save it - I am having hanging process. It can not be coincidence. I am not doing anything weird I simply press save in R11 and R12. Trust me I am not making this up (why would I).

R12 saving process is insanely long with the exception that every now and then it saves within 3-4 seconds but mostly it takes more then 30 seconds.

At some point I was thinking well maybe this is because R12 saves in some different format or something, or perhaps songs created in R11 when saved in R12 needs more time and later it will be ok. Or maybe they reinvented something what do I know about it. But this is not the case. Even if I start from scratch in Reason 12 and try to save - hanging process..

Regards

selig
RE Developer

03 Nov 2021

kbard wrote:
03 Nov 2021
selig wrote:
03 Nov 2021
Thanks for your input but I am belive this is not the case. Because today I installed Reason 12 and 11 on a completely different computer with different CPU and clean Windows and so far behavior is exactly the same!

First configuration is Ryzen 5950
This second is i7 CPU and SSD (not nvme). Same behavior.

At this point I installed Reason 12 demo on my wife notebook (I don't know which CPU is there) and there it's exactly the same! And her computer is some slow HDD I imagine.

So on three computers adding same number of devices in R11 and saving session is just a second if not even lower. On Reason 12 - recreating same session and trying to save it - I am having hanging process. It can not be coincidence. I am not doing anything weird I simply press save in R11 and R12. Trust me I am not making this up (why would I).

R12 saving process is insanely long with the exception that every now and then it saves within 3-4 seconds but mostly it takes more then 30 seconds.

At some point I was thinking well maybe this is because R12 saves in some different format or something, or perhaps songs created in R11 when saved in R12 needs more time and later it will be ok. Or maybe they reinvented something what do I know about it. But this is not the case. Even if I start from scratch in Reason 12 and try to save - hanging process..

Regards
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I in no way meant to imply you were making ANYTHING up, and nether am I - this is certainly been the case for me in R11, worse than what you're describing with R12 and it happened every single time I hit save on those songs. Never saw it before, haven't seen it on R12 but haven't loaded up the old songs to test.
I only wanted to provide my data since it seemed like a very similar thing was happening to you.
I CAN say a fairly large song (30+ audio tracks) saves under 5 seconds every time in R12 for me.
What can you take away from my comments?
Mainly that there are many variables here, and the more data available the easier to narrow down the possible causes.
And that there is "something" different about your example vs my example - if we can find what that difference is there MAY be something you can do about it (different pref setting, update a VST, etc). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

kbard

03 Nov 2021

selig wrote:
03 Nov 2021

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I in no way meant to imply you were making ANYTHING up, and nether am I - this is certainly been the case for me in R11, worse than what you're describing with R12 and it happened every single time I hit save on those songs. Never saw it before, haven't seen it on R12 but haven't loaded up the old songs to test.
I only wanted to provide my data since it seemed like a very similar thing was happening to you.
I CAN say a fairly large song (30+ audio tracks) saves under 5 seconds every time in R12 for me.
What can you take away from my comments?
Mainly that there are many variables here, and the more data available the easier to narrow down the possible causes.
And that there is "something" different about your example vs my example - if we can find what that difference is there MAY be something you can do about it (different pref setting, update a VST, etc). :)
No really it's fine I appreciate your input. Thank you.

In testing this I am suing RE only, not VST at all. It seems fairly simple to me. On the same computer I tried Reason 9,10 and 11. All saves fine. Literally. Reason 12 when doing like absolutely same thing with the same devices - hanging when saving.

Also another type of issue I forgot to mention. On top of everything I have random crashes when using IK Multimedia plugins - something which also quite literally never happens in Reason 11. Haven't tried on earlier versions other then 11 and 10 (I have Reason 9 as well) but IK never crashed on me in Reason 11 or 10 or Ableton 11 (or 10 for that matter). It only happens with Reason 12 and only sometimes. Like I want to open specific IK plugin GUI by clicking on it while it's loaded into rack and it crashes R12 saying that IK plugin just crashed and Reason 12 suggesting me I need to save my project etc.

Then I close Reason 12, open it again and try to load that supposedly bad plugin which just crashed it minute before and voila it works fine this time. Really random sporadic issues which leaves bad taste and frustration.

So in my case same configuration, different Reason versions (11, 10 and 9) works superb - Reason 12 = random problems with IK plugins and hanging when saving most of the time. I already tried deleting preferences and reinstalling it, and I am sure I deleted preferences correctly since R12 when I installed it again asked me to setup everything again (midi controllers etc.). Same outcome.

Pepin

03 Nov 2021

In the past, I found large NN-XT patches (with lots of samples) to make saving noticeably slower. But it sounds like your issues isn't related to the complexity of the song file.

Since it happens on multiple machines including a fresh install, my only guess would be that it might somehow be network related. Does it still happen if you use offline authentication and keep your machine's internet disabled?

Karim
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

Not just in saving. I still kept R11 (which is fantastic) because in R12 only to load a combinator with a europa in it and a couple of effects takes a time of one minute / 1 minute and a half
kbard wrote:
03 Nov 2021
Why is saving so slow on R12?

Running the latest R12 version. I press save and in most cases it takes between 20 seconds up to 60 seconds. To save a file which contains Redrum and Subtractor + 1 reverb and delay. When I press Save R12 freezes and the screen becomes white and there's a spinning circle like it's saving terabytes of data and of course the whole computer hangs. It takes so long that in some cases Windows asks me if I want to wait for R12 to respond or should I wait for the app to return to normal. I always opt to wait and then it somehow saves the file and all is fine.

On very rare occasions saving is instant like it's in R11 but this happens randomly. Like out of 10 times when I am saving with R12, 9 times is super slow then the 10th time it's within 2-3 seconds.

I tried several times to replicate this behavior in R11 and no matter how big the project is in R11 saving is instant. I can save 40 audio tracks and 40 plugins in R11 within one second.

R12 is super slow when saving. I am running both R11 and R12 on the same computer. Saving was always within one second in all versions I ever tried from R9 to R11. Project size didn't play any role it always saved instantly and it still does. But not on R12.

I am running two high performance Nvme drives connected directly to the Motherboard via PCIe v4.0 lane. Surely it isn't my HDD which is slow. And it's not filled or something.

Any clue? It feels as a step back not step forward.
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2021

I’ve noticed this when I use some custom NNXT patches with many samples loaded. Loading or saving the patch, or loading or saving the project takes easily 30 seconds. I’ve had to make compromises on the sound palette, unfortunately.

kbard

04 Nov 2021

In my saving issues I am not using any NN-XT patches or that instrument at all.

Let's hope that these issues will be ironed out. I sympathize with the developers because those are really random issues which in my mind are hard to deal with. On the other hand only them know what they changed between 11 and 12 so I have hope that these will be ironed out eventually.

Regards

• Information