Reason on macOS Monterey seems to work

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heater

27 Oct 2021

I've got a M1 MacBook Air and have upgraded to Monterey.
Seems to work just fine.

Anyone else?

integerpoet

27 Oct 2021

What version are you on? (I'm still on 11.)

Tweak

28 Oct 2021

Be careful folks, whilst Reason may well work on the latest M1 processors and MacOS, it's certainly not guaranteed your third party VST plugins will. Always check for anything critical to your workflow before taking the plunge.

BonsaiMacKay

28 Oct 2021

Exactly! I have only just recently upgraded to Big Sur because it took one year for all my software and hardware to be compatible with it. Even if Monterey is basically an enhanced Big Sur, it is best to let the developers do their extensive testing before updating. Keep an eye here if you use software and hardware from several developers:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... ity-guide/

plaamook

28 Oct 2021

I thought Roseta 2 was meant to mop up the mess.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

BonsaiMacKay

28 Oct 2021

plaamook wrote:
28 Oct 2021
I thought Roseta 2 was meant to mop up the mess.
Rosetta allows you to run software built for Intel Macs on the new M1 Macs, but it won't help if said software is not compatible with Monterey.

Heater

28 Oct 2021

I’m on R12. No issues with my AU plugs in so far.

kuhliloach

28 Oct 2021

On macOS Monterey with M1 processor Logic and Garageband both fail to the Reason Rack Plug-In unless Rosetta is used. Ableton, on the other hand, loads the Reason Rack plug-in without taking any extra steps. I assume when Ableton's native M1 version comes out the Reason Rack plug-in will suddenly break, forcing Ableton to have to be run in Rosetta.

buddard
RE Developer

28 Oct 2021

kuhliloach wrote:
28 Oct 2021
On macOS Monterey with M1 processor Logic and Garageband both fail to the Reason Rack Plug-In unless Rosetta is used. Ableton, on the other hand, loads the Reason Rack plug-in without taking any extra steps. I assume when Ableton's native M1 version comes out the Reason Rack plug-in will suddenly break, forcing Ableton to have to be run in Rosetta.
Yes, plugins have to run in the same mode as the host program. But it's just a matter of using Rosetta until all plugins you use (including Reason) have been updated for M1 support -- and according to the roadmap, Reason should receive M1 support in December.

WaxTrax

28 Oct 2021

I think it won't be too long now before most major software is updated for Apple Silicon. I suspect that, in addition to the amount of work required for QA testing recompiled software, some developers were waiting to see just how committed Apple was going to be to their new CPUs before diving in. With only a couple models of Mac not being updated to Apple silicon yet, it seems pretty clear this is the full direction Apple is moving and it is now a financially-sound decision to dedicate developer resources toward native software if the particular software developer cares about supporting Macs.

Personally, I would think that more audio software developers would get onboard now since the CPU architecture between Macs and iPhones/iPads is so much closer. I think it would be less work now to realize additional revenue streams by offering software for both kinds of platforms.

buddard
RE Developer

28 Oct 2021

WaxTrax wrote:
28 Oct 2021
I think it won't be too long now before most major software is updated for Apple Silicon. I suspect that, in addition to the amount of work required for QA testing recompiled software, some developers were waiting to see just how committed Apple was going to be to their new CPUs before diving in. With only a couple models of Mac not being updated to Apple silicon yet, it seems pretty clear this is the full direction Apple is moving and it is now a financially-sound decision to dedicate developer resources toward native software if the particular software developer cares about supporting Macs.

Personally, I would think that more audio software developers would get onboard now since the CPU architecture between Macs and iPhones/iPads is so much closer. I think it would be less work now to realize additional revenue streams by offering software for both kinds of platforms.
Yes, for sure!

Love your username by the way, I'm guessing it's a homage to the legendary Chicago label?

WaxTrax

28 Oct 2021

buddard wrote:
28 Oct 2021
I'm guessing it's a homage to the legendary Chicago label?
Absolutely :-) They put out a really fantastic documentary a few years ago that goes over a lot of their history.

buddard
RE Developer

28 Oct 2021

WaxTrax wrote:
28 Oct 2021
buddard wrote:
28 Oct 2021
I'm guessing it's a homage to the legendary Chicago label?
Absolutely :-) They put out a really fantastic documentary a few years ago that goes over a lot of their history.
Yeah, I haven't seen it yet but I have to get around to it soon! I've read Chris' and Al's memoirs of course, and they cover at least some of the history. I collected all the Luxa/Pan releases back in the day, they were the soundtrack of my "delinquent" years, haha!

integerpoet

28 Oct 2021

It's useful to hear folks' experience about Reason atop Monterey irrespective of the new Apple CPUs because Monterey also runs atop Intel CPUs. As well, I have been running R11 atop Big Sur atop M1 for the last few months, so Monterey alone is what interests me.

In fact, I'm kinda-sorta hoping Monterey improves the R11 experience because I have been putting up with occasional temporary lock-ups all this time. If that's an issue in R11, then it probably won't get better. But if it's an issue in Big Sur, then it might.

(I've been putting off upgrading to R12 until there's an M1-native build, though Mimic and Combinator2 do look good.)

• Information