Where is the October update?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Billy+

28 Oct 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Oct 2021
Billy+ wrote:
28 Oct 2021

Sorry folks I have been officially warned to stop posting videos, apologies to those who disapprove I was just thinking it might be better than allowing the negative to build.
It's all good! Even I like to have silly fun with my post :puf_bigsmile: But this is in the Reason General forum after all and the thread gets bumped with every post and starts to feel like spam when it's the same joke reiterated with a different video. It does start to feel more like a kitchen thread... You could certainly always edit posts to add more videos, or create a youtube playlist and link to that :D
My intention was not to spam the thread or bump it and although it may appear to be reiterating the same joke I was honestly just trying to be entertaining as I don't see the assumed update delay as a delay if RS are embracing the agile approach then dates really are not set and change is inevitable due to the principles laid out in the agile manifesto as linked to in the first page by me...

Which all sound a bit boring, hence the music :lol:
Last edited by Billy+ on 28 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.

BRIGGS

28 Oct 2021

r11s

guitfnky

28 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Oct 2021
joeyluck wrote:
28 Oct 2021

It's all good! Even I like to have silly fun with my post :puf_bigsmile: But this is in the Reason General forum after all and the thread gets bumped with every post and starts to feel like spam when it's the same joke reiterated with a different video. It does start to feel more like a kitchen thread... You could certainly always edit posts to add more videos, or create a youtube playlist and link to that :D
My intention was not to spam the thread or dump it and although it may appear to be reiterating the same joke I was honestly just trying to be entertaining as I don't see the assumed update delay as a delay if RS are embracing the agile approach then dates really are not set and change is inevitable due to the principles laid out in the agile manifesto as linked to in the first page by me...

with agile, the dates are usually set (typically two-week sprints), it’s just what’s delivered on those dates is the moving target.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Billy+

28 Oct 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 Oct 2021
Billy+ wrote:
28 Oct 2021

My intention was not to spam the thread or dump it and although it may appear to be reiterating the same joke I was honestly just trying to be entertaining as I don't see the assumed update delay as a delay if RS are embracing the agile approach then dates really are not set and change is inevitable due to the principles laid out in the agile manifesto as linked to in the first page by me...

with agile, the dates are usually set (typically two-week sprints), it’s just what’s delivered on those dates is the moving target.
I would disagree,

If the goal is to have software that works as a higher level principle then allowing the date to slide in order to achieve the goal of working software is acceptable.

If the developers have set themselves a goal that wasn't achieved then releasing it would cause more problems than any delay ever could and what should then happen is to identify what causes the delay and rectify the issues was the goal to big was the timeframe to short.

I personally think that bug fixes should become a higher priority and releasing fixes would show improvements that matter yes the disclosed feature enhancements should continue but maybe the timeframe is off so the principle suggests that communication needs to address this, it's easier to communicate that features would be introduced every other month and fixes would be released every two weeks.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2021

I don’t like using Reason these days because of all the crashing and freezing. I used to have Reason opened up at least 6 days of the week. Now I’m just sitting alone in the dark twanging on my banjo and crying for times of stability long gone.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

28 Oct 2021

MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2021
I don’t like using Reason these days because of all the crashing and freezing. I used to have Reason opened up at least 6 days of the week. Now I’m just sitting alone in the dark twanging on my banjo and crying for times of stability long gone.
Pick up an Akai Force and come join us on the Dark Side.. :lol: :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

28 Oct 2021

MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2021
Well at least you got your R12 license for free, Some of us currently face a £200 bill for the same functionality.

Maybe they should have given every R11 owner a free R12 license at least the bug hunting would be doing a better job than the beta tester.

bxbrkrz

28 Oct 2021

joeyluck wrote:
28 Oct 2021
Billy+ wrote:
28 Oct 2021

Sorry folks I have been officially warned to stop posting videos, apologies to those who disapprove I was just thinking it might be better than allowing the negative to build.
Move the thread to the kitchen then?

I agree regarding the general section, it should be more focused. A bit of silliness is good for the soul methinks, instead of banning everything to oblivion. I don't agree with Mr + on many things, but a spammer? Not, really.

There was one person I was suspicious about, but I just noticed they chose to walk into the cornfield* forever a while back.

Anyway. RIP Jukebox+

Cornfield pop culture reference* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Go ... ight_Zone) :puf_smile:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2021
MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2021
Pick up an Akai Force and come join us on the Dark Side.. :lol: :thumbup:
Attachments
1F78F9BB-4E51-4392-A46F-5C2A2979C28D.gif
1F78F9BB-4E51-4392-A46F-5C2A2979C28D.gif (631.75 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Oct 2021
MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2021
Well at least you got your R12 license for free, Some of us currently face a £200 bill for the same functionality.

Maybe they should have given every R11 owner a free R12 license at least the bug hunting would be doing a better job than the beta tester.
I didn’t get it free. I paid for it in advance. I was never going to buy 11. Not ever. I put down my money when R12 was in the brink of release. I paid for 12 not for 11. Having an 11 license for a month or so was just unnecessary baggage. So no. I didn’t get it free.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

28 Oct 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
28 Oct 2021

I agree regarding the general section, it should be more focused. A bit of silliness is good for the soul methinks, instead of banning everything to oblivion. I don't agree with Mr + on many things, but a spammer? Not, really.

There was one person I was suspicious about, but I just noticed they chose to walk into the cornfield* forever a while back.

Anyway. RIP Jukebox+

Cornfield pop culture reference* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Go ... ight_Zone) :puf_smile:
The thread is fine where it's at, as it's about Reason. Keep things on topic and we should all be good, especially taking into consideration that we're all curious on what RS will do in the next few days. Constantly posting random music videos is not on topic, and keeps bumping the thread.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Billy+

28 Oct 2021

My choice of music was most definitely not random, I spent time on each section and listened to each and every single one.

As for what Reason Studios is up to I guess we will have to give it Another 48 Hours :thumbs_up:

DaveyG

28 Oct 2021

MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2021
Now I’m just sitting alone in the dark twanging on my banjo and crying for times of stability long gone.
You should write a song about that. Also, check on the dog. He might have got tired of your crying, packed his bags and left you. Maybe mention that in verse 2. :thumbs_up:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2021

DaveyG wrote:
28 Oct 2021
MrFigg wrote:
28 Oct 2021
Now I’m just sitting alone in the dark twanging on my banjo and crying for times of stability long gone.
You should write a song about that. Also, check on the dog. He might have got tired of your crying, packed his bags and left you. Maybe mention that in verse 2. :thumbs_up:
That dog disappeared under mysterious circumstances a long time ago. Bow wow old friend. Bow wow!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

28 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Oct 2021
guitfnky wrote:
28 Oct 2021

I would disagree,

If the goal is to have software that works as a higher level principle then allowing the date to slide in order to achieve the goal of working software is acceptable.

If the developers have set themselves a goal that wasn't achieved then releasing it would cause more problems than any delay ever could and what should then happen is to identify what causes the delay and rectify the issues was the goal to big was the timeframe to short.

I personally think that bug fixes should become a higher priority and releasing fixes would show improvements that matter yes the disclosed feature enhancements should continue but maybe the timeframe is off so the principle suggests that communication needs to address this, it's easier to communicate that features would be introduced every other month and fixes would be released every two weeks.
that’s not how agile works.

the point is to deliver what value you can in 2-week sprints. if that means x feature doesn’t make it, or bugfix y has to wait a bit longer, so be it. there is no concept of releasing stuff in an unusable state just because it’s a particular date on the calendar, as you suggest, but agile is about delivering something of value every sprint. there may be times when things happen to line up in a way that you don’t release anything for a sprint, but that’s exceedingly rare for software of any size.

I very much doubt what RS are doing is actually following the agile methodology—though maybe they’re taking bits and pieces. or they may be doing something like kanban.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

bxbrkrz

28 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
28 Oct 2021
bxbrkrz wrote:
28 Oct 2021

Anyway. RIP Jukebox+

The thread is fine where it's at, as it's about Reason. Keep things on topic and we should all be good, especially taking into consideration that we're all curious on what RS will do in the next few days. Constantly posting random music videos is not on topic, and keeps bumping the thread.

This thread should self-destruct on Nov 1st.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Billy+

28 Oct 2021

guitfnky wrote:
28 Oct 2021
that’s not how agile works.
Maybe you should spend more time looking into it from a software development perspective especially when it's linked to an investment fund ;)
Not my words
A brief history of Agile software development
In the 1990s, software development faced a bit of a crisis. Referred to as ‘the application development crisis’ or ‘application delivery lag’, the industry realized that it couldn’t move fast enough to meet customer demands and requirements—the estimated time between a business need and actual application was about three years. See, traditional development models were based on a timeline approach, where development happened sequentially and the final product wasn’t revealed to customers until the very final step. This left little room for flexibility when it came to progress reviews and changes. So, by the time an actual application was finished, it was highly likely that requirements and systems of the project’s original objectives had changed.

With time, money, and efforts wasted, and even some projects cancelled halfway through, professional leaders of the software community thought it was time for a new, refreshed approach. Then in 2001, in a snowy, ski lodge in Utah, a group of industry practitioners gathered to discuss industry practices. Though the meeting was set up with a primary focus on the discussion of development cycles, some participants were already entertaining the idea of a new software development method. They all yearned to cement a process that legitimized what was being practised, and so, came the creation of the Agile Manifesto.

Me again,

This crap has been going on for years but now our beloved Reason has been dragged into the philosophy which might sound great until you realise that it's all about the hype and money not about the product or community.

None of what we the "community" have suggested has become a reality until it made financial sense to the investors who use marketing strategy to entice customers into handing over cold hard cash wanted it to.

we are not the target being enticed with the current strategy it's other invester who will see the increases in account sign ups and understand nothing about the product or industry and just believe that increased interest produces increased profits.

James the marketing guy has been on ReasonTalk on and off during this whole time this thread was created and has kept quite,

not one single post or response to questions being asked which completely goes against the manifesto,

fact is it's just another buzzword that the marketing/investment team want to hear being used no more no less and our conversation is pointless, hence why I decided to post music videos as it is more productive and inspiring until the powers that be stepped in to request I get on topic or get lost :thumbs_up:

Billy+

28 Oct 2021

bxbrkrz wrote:
28 Oct 2021

This thread should self-destruct on Nov 1st.
Totally agree and we should all remember not to feel the hype

EnochLight

29 Oct 2021

And for those of you who don't have Twitter or block it:

yep.JPG
yep.JPG (118.18 KiB) Viewed 3418 times

danc

29 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
28 Oct 2021
A brief history of Agile software development
In the 1990s, software development faced a bit of a crisis. Referred to as ‘the application development crisis’ or ‘application delivery lag’, the industry realized that it couldn’t move fast enough to meet customer demands and requirements—the estimated time between a business need and actual application was about three years. See, traditional development models were based on a timeline approach, where development happened sequentially and the final product wasn’t revealed to customers until the very final step. This left little room for flexibility when it came to progress reviews and changes. So, by the time an actual application was finished, it was highly likely that requirements and systems of the project’s original objectives had changed.

With time, money, and efforts wasted, and even some projects cancelled halfway through, professional leaders of the software community thought it was time for a new, refreshed approach. Then in 2001, in a snowy, ski lodge in Utah, a group of industry practitioners gathered to discuss industry practices. Though the meeting was set up with a primary focus on the discussion of development cycles, some participants were already entertaining the idea of a new software development method. They all yearned to cement a process that legitimized what was being practised, and so, came the creation of the Agile Manifesto.
The whole concept and reasoning behind AGILE bothers me a lot. I've been in the software development game for nearly 40 years - making both video games and enterprise business software. Here is my BIG ISSUE with agile....

- Software development is very similar to construction - building a house or road network etc. Both disciplines have a design, a master plan, a budget and a deadline. They both plot out a plan in the beginning and set how much it will cost - be it software or a sky scraper. Yet - you don't hear of construction projects that say, let us just amble along and we will decide as we go when you will get your lift shaft, or windows, or roof. And we will tell you later how much it will cost. No - they set out a clear plan and they try however they can to hit those targets.

- Software developers who are unable to design before they build are usually average or poor developers. It shows a sign of lack of skill and tried and tested experience. However the agile movement sells the idea of being nimble and creative. They often say it's the only way to make a great product. My experience of agile is totally the opposite. Software projects that design as they go, more often than not, become overweight, unfocused, go overbudget and often completely miss the point of what was being asked for.

- A business is made up of 3 cornerstones: those that MANAGE, those that MARKET/SELL, and those that BUILD/DELIVER the product. The builder that demands an agile process puts two V's up to the managers who has to set goals, and also V's up to the marketeers that need to hit time windows of opportunity. Agile does have a place. But it needs to work alongside very clear goals (features and budget set by management), and very clear deadlines (often set by marketing/sales).

I now step off my box and get back to work!
Check my Soundcloud:

joeyluck

29 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2021
And for those of you who don't have Twitter or block it:

yep.JPG
Ok! Here goes! :lol:

Reason 12 is still not in the state we want it to be in.jpg
Reason 12 is still not in the state we want it to be in.jpg (332.04 KiB) Viewed 3360 times

EnochLight

29 Oct 2021

joeyluck wrote:
29 Oct 2021

Reason 12 is still not in the state we want it to be in.jpg (332.04 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
29 Oct 2021
joeyluck wrote:
29 Oct 2021

:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
Hahahahahahaha!!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heater

29 Oct 2021

“Reason 12 is still not in the state we want it to be”. We could have told them that.

R303

29 Oct 2021

Then they should leave out the Soundpacks etc. and concentrate on the essential things...
Very bad start of the roadmap.

• Information