Vocals keep dropping out.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nerveclinic

27 Oct 2021

So I recently wiped my hard drive and uploaded a new copy of Reason. Something is happening that never happened before.

I am practicing vocals for a live show and they keep dropping out. So in other words you are singing a line and all of a sudden the sound completely goes on the vocals for a second or two and then comes back in.

It seems like it is an overload situation but I have been doing it exactly the same way for years and this has never happened before only in the last few days since I reloaded Reason 12. Even when I lower the volume it keeps happening.

I am guessing one setting changed since the reload, nothing else is doing it besides the vocals.

Any guess as to what the cause could be?

miyaru

27 Oct 2021

To know for sure it is your vocal chain, try to record an instrument like bass, guitar or keyboard thru your audio interface and see what that does. If that ain't the case look closely to your recording chain.

What is your chain anyway? Mic - pre-amp - audio interface - Computer running Reason? Or different?
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :thumbup:

jam-s

27 Oct 2021

Du you have any VST FX in the vocal processing chain? It might be that one of those is causing this because it is running in demo mode.

Stamatz

27 Oct 2021

Since you reinstalled R12, did you recheck your audio setting? (ie. multi-core audio rendering or Hyper-threading audio).
Nektar P4, Alesis VX49, Roland DJ-202, Korg DS-8, Casio RZ-1, Epiphone Guitar, MOTU M4, Samson BT Monitors. Twin Displays. AMD Ryzen 9 7950x3D, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon 6800XT,

Nerveclinic

27 Oct 2021

miyaru wrote:
27 Oct 2021
To know for sure it is your vocal chain, try to record an instrument like bass, guitar or keyboard thru your audio interface and see what that does. If that ain't the case look closely to your recording chain.

What is your chain anyway? Mic - pre-amp - audio interface - Computer running Reason? Or different?
My chain is mic into a Scarlett 212 into the computer running Reason than monitors. But To test it I also ran it from the Scarlett into a Roland PA so I know it's Reason because it did it there also. Also right before I wiped drive and reloaded Reason 12 I never had this problem in 10 years. Right after the reload it's happening.

My assumption is not that there is something wrong with Reason, it's that I have one preference in Reason set incorrectly.

I guess it could be my computer but it happened immediately after the reload.

I thought it might be the noise gate but I switched it off.

I sounds like the sound is causing some kind of a protection from overload or volume to trigger? But it never did this before so?

Nerveclinic

27 Oct 2021

jam-s wrote:
27 Oct 2021
Du you have any VST FX in the vocal processing chain? It might be that one of those is causing this because it is running in demo mode.
Oh I like this. When I wiped drive and reloaded, perhaps a VST is not re-registered so it's doing this? This seems like a concept to explore. Thanks.

Aquila

27 Oct 2021

Also keep an eye on your HDD activity. If something in your system is thrashing your hard disk, then Reason may struggle to load the vocal data in realtime.

You should notice an Overload icon in your play bar if that happens though.

Nerveclinic

27 Oct 2021

Aquila wrote:
27 Oct 2021
Also keep an eye on your HDD activity. If something in your system is thrashing your hard disk, then Reason may struggle to load the vocal data in realtime.

You should notice an Overload icon in your play bar if that happens though.
Thanks, I do keep an eye on activity monitor but since this has never happened before, and right after the HD wipe, I assume it is related to something since reinstalling Reason on the new drive?

EnochLight

27 Oct 2021

Nerveclinic wrote:
27 Oct 2021
So I recently wiped my hard drive and uploaded a new copy of Reason.
What did you upload it to? DropBox? Google Drive? ;) :lol:
Nerveclinic wrote:
27 Oct 2021
Something is happening that never happened before.

I am practicing vocals for a live show and they keep dropping out. So in other words you are singing a line and all of a sudden the sound completely goes on the vocals for a second or two and then comes back in.

It seems like it is an overload situation but I have been doing it exactly the same way for years and this has never happened before only in the last few days since I reloaded Reason 12. Even when I lower the volume it keeps happening.

I am guessing one setting changed since the reload, nothing else is doing it besides the vocals.

Any guess as to what the cause could be?
What are your audio interface settings in Reason for your Scarlett?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Nerveclinic

27 Oct 2021

The issue has been resolved . Many thanks to Jam-s and everyone who helped out.

It turns out that Jam-S was correct. When I re-loaded Reason and all my VST's there was a VST that was not correctly authorized and once I fixed that the problem disappeared.

I would like to leave the thread up incase anyone has the same issue in the future.

jam-s

27 Oct 2021

I'm glad I could help. It's quite often the case of a VST in demo mode when you encounter audio dropouts or intermittent noise.

• Information