The podcast (Sound Minds) is here!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
honeyBadger

26 Oct 2021

Billy+

26 Oct 2021

I listen to the intro on RS.com but it doesn't seem to be that interesting....

Have you listened to any?
What did you get from it?
Is it just pros blowing their own trumpets or does it contain any product advice etc?
Is it even Reason related?

I wonder why it was produced as a podcast in a world of full video meeting software and visual media platforms...

honeyBadger

26 Oct 2021

Haven’t finished the first episode yet, but nothing reason related so far, more like a generic artist interview.

honeyBadger

26 Oct 2021

Reason+ :reason: is mentioned towards the end to advertise a promo code for 3 months free :thumbup:

brand

26 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
26 Oct 2021
I wonder why it was produced as a podcast in a world of full video meeting software and visual media platforms...
Fair point. May be a bit cheaper to produce an all audio show. And it’s about audio. But video would allow for more options, like, “show us how you did that.”

In any case, many companies produce various content linked to their products mostly, but as a way keep people coming back. No down side to it.
Waves and Izotope both have a s**t ton of content in their “learn” sections. Simple as that, I think. I didn’t finish ep1 yet either, but it’s a good idea.

honeyBadger

27 Oct 2021

Listening to the reason studios podcast led me to this podcast which is more like what I expected the reason podcast to be like:https://www.whywebleep.com/whywebleep

rcbuse
RE Developer

27 Oct 2021

honeyBadger wrote:
27 Oct 2021
Listening to the reason studios podcast led me to this podcast which is more like what I expected the reason podcast to be like:https://www.whywebleep.com/whywebleep
I don't own any modular gear but I never miss a why we bleep. One of the best out there. Another top notch one is Jamie Lidell's ‎hanging out with audiophiles http://jamielidellmusic.com/

Billy+

27 Oct 2021

honeyBadger wrote:
26 Oct 2021
Reason+ :reason: is mentioned towards the end to advertise a promo code for 3 months free :thumbup:
I bet it's for new accounts only.

EnochLight

27 Oct 2021

People still listen to podcasts?? Isn't that like an early 2000's thing? ;) jk
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Despondo
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2021

I wonder what the end game is here. Why are they doing this? Not much Reason related stuff at all in the first 2 podcasts. Not saying it's a bad idea, but what's the point? Could money spent on this be better utilized to improve their products?

Steedus
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2021

I haven’t listened yet but I would like to hear some episodes with RS old timers talking about behind the scenes stuff. Unfortunately for me personally these kind of podcasts - talking to artists - is unless I know the artist, I just struggle to give a shit. Still, glad they’re giving it a go. Podcasts are huge these days.

honeyBadger

27 Oct 2021

I think the goal could be to open a new revenue stream via either sponsorships from music companies like Avid/Ableton/Distrokid/DrumMonkey etc. or possibly Patreon supporters with different levels and perks like free sound packs and REs or a month of Reason+. This is pure speculation but is the route I’ve noticed other podcasts take and I imagine the increased revenue will lead to more development of the DAW and vice versa.

zoidkirb

27 Oct 2021

Had a listen to the first ep, Tiger Darrow I think they were.
Not a bad listen. Some actual Reason content would be nice. I'm not looking for hardcore Reason lessons though.
I do like this relaxed podcast style like this where they just kinda shoot the breeze.

It feels like we're absolutely not the target audience here, rather the goal is to interview artists that will attract fans who then might then look into Reason. It's almost like product placement style advertising. I hope it goes well for RS. If they can manage to find interesting artists that also dabble in Reason then I may tune in again.

MixerJaexx

27 Oct 2021

This seems to be a side-project by Grace McCallum, who just happens to work at Reason Studios. Grace’s experience seems to be around the social and legal aspects of music (such as copywriting) and not the technical details of creating music. She may not know how to use Reason (and certainly not on the highly technical level most users here are). She likely isn’t able to host a podcast focused on Reason nor is that her goal. This podcast seems to be more about the community / lifestyle aspects of music (standard artist interview podcasts). There’s nothing in the podcast title or artwork that mentions anything about Reason or Reason Studios.

It’s confusing to have this on “reasonstudios.com/postcast/“ as it shouts “podcast about / by Reason Studios”, but I think this is just employees who heard a fellow employee has a podcast and figured they’d help by posting it on the company web site. (Although there’s already a lot of music podcasts out there.)

I hope people aren’t going to be upset that time and company money was spent building a new web page for reasonstudios.com when the navigation menus still haven’t been fixed to include the Reason Studios Shop.

Reason Studios should remove it from the site (employees can still privately support their colleague).
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

Benedict
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2021

I just listened to the ep with Eric Bazilian from The Hooters (Cindi Lauper) etc and I liked it. Normally I don't listen to podcasts but Eric is clearly the real deal (I loved "All You Zombies" first time on Countdown) and being "in the space of" people like that is a great thing to get to do. Hearing his story of how "that god song" came to be is exactly how I try to do it and encourage that in others who think music is a technical process.

I thought the hostess was nice and made it work well (even if the intro may be a bit long).

So long as the show is about people like this and not technicalities or Hipsters mumbling woke-isms & hehe-ing I might just listen again.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

earwig83

29 Oct 2021

waste of company dollars and resource. a pod cast of all things too.

miscend

30 Oct 2021

honeyBadger wrote:
27 Oct 2021
I think the goal could be to open a new revenue stream via either sponsorships from music companies like Avid/Ableton/Distrokid/DrumMonkey etc. or possibly Patreon supporters with different levels and perks like free sound packs and REs or a month of Reason+. This is pure speculation but is the route I’ve noticed other podcasts take and I imagine the increased revenue will lead to more development of the DAW and vice versa.
It may also be much simpler than that. Just a promotional tool to promote the company's products. Eventide also do a podcast where they talk about gear, speak to artists and users etc etc.

I see no reason for a long established commercial company with funding from large institutional investors to ask for money from patrons via a podcast.

Tinnitus

02 Nov 2021

I really don't understand the direction RS are taking here ( not having listened to more than 5 mins of the first podcast).

There have been calls to promote artists that use Reason commercially, and perhaps this is their attempt.

There are already amazing YouTube videos containing tips and musicians journeys so this isn't groundbreaking. Ryan's excellent RS YouTube series transcends DAWs in some ways, so that is the current gold standard for reach IMO.

I have to agree with voices here that this adds very little to their user base engagement or marketing.

Also I thought that the demographic of podcasts was 40+. From their reason+ drive, which targets new user subs and those who can't afford to buy to own, this platform choice appears to contradict that demographic and didn't really add much to product reach/growth agenda.

(However I'm not suggesting that they put out a series of tiktoc videos before anyone comments!)

I can also relate to the frustration here. For example Id much rather that they kept Allihoopa rather than started their own podcasts. ( I appreciate this is a different budget though!)

Benedict
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2021

I know that his podcast doesn't seem to have gone over well with people here but I listened to the new ep with Linn Fijal and again was really happy. I would try to let them know more directly but there is no way (that I see).

Again it was really nice to be able to feel like I was in the space of someone who is doing real work and has a really nice attitude about how things do and should work in this business.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

jamespember
Reason Studios

10 Nov 2021

Benedict wrote:
10 Nov 2021
I know that his podcast doesn't seem to have gone over well with people here but I listened to the new ep with Linn Fijal and again was really happy. I would try to let them know more directly but there is no way (that I see).

Again it was really nice to be able to feel like I was in the space of someone who is doing real work and has a really nice attitude about how things do and should work in this business.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it - Linn is super inspiring right?

If you want to support, leaving a review on your podcast app of choice is a great way! We're steadily climbing the charts, have already been featured by Apple and Spotify. I think we're in the Top Music podcasts lists on both now which is pretty cool.

PS. Some people in this thread have asked why we are doing this and the motivation is actually pretty simple. We clearly love music and everything to do with music, and this is a great outlet for us to talk to cool and inspiring people about our shared passions. We think those discussions will be interesting for a fairly broad audience, and of course it's nice to get the Reason Studios name out there at the same time too.

Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 19.09.02.png
Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 19.09.02.png (288.95 KiB) Viewed 1510 times

gbuck

10 Nov 2021

Can it be downloaded for offline viewing like youtube video's?

orthodox
RE Developer

10 Nov 2021

gbuck wrote:
10 Nov 2021
Can it be downloaded for offline viewing like youtube video's?
For offline listening, yes. I just did it with youtube-dl command-line utility.

Benedict
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2021

Thanks,

I'm glad the message got to you.

People like Linn & Eric are exactly the sorts of people I am happy to invest 30 mins into. thanks for giving the opportunity to do that.

jamespember wrote:
10 Nov 2021
Benedict wrote:
10 Nov 2021

Glad to hear you enjoyed it - Linn is super inspiring right?

If you want to support, leaving a review on your podcast app of choice is a great way! We're steadily climbing the charts, have already been featured by Apple and Spotify. I think we're in the Top Music podcasts lists on both now which is pretty cool.

PS. Some people in this thread have asked why we are doing this and the motivation is actually pretty simple. We clearly love music and everything to do with music, and this is a great outlet for us to talk to cool and inspiring people about our shared passions. We think those discussions will be interesting for a fairly broad audience, and of course it's nice to get the Reason Studios name out there at the same time too.

Screenshot 2021-11-10 at 19.09.02.png
Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information