Midi out of a combinator?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FatJ

25 Oct 2021

Is it possible to make a combinator 2 that behaves like a player? If I put a player in a combi it adds an instrument. I can replace that instrument with a midi out but what I'd really like to do is have a combi that contains several chained players but no instrument so I can then use it in front of whatever instrument I choose. So make a "super player".

huggermugger

25 Oct 2021

You can replace the ID8 that's automatically added to a Player or stack of Players with any other instrument.

xbitz

25 Oct 2021

can add players to the combinator itself too

https://i.ibb.co/18zpfXG/rcombi.png
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

selig
RE Developer

26 Oct 2021

You don't really need a Combinator for this, unless you want to save the results in one place. Otherwise just stack a bunch of Players on a MIDI Out and blast off! One reason NOT to make it a Combinator is that if you find a cool Combinator instrument, you can drag it on top of the MIDI out and now your Player stack is playing a Combinator stack!
Selig Audio, LLC

FatJ

26 Oct 2021

Thanks for all the replies. I know I can do it in other ways but the question was prompted by a recent thread about the Euclid device where you can feed more than one of them into a CV Player device and get "polyphonic-ness".

I made a combinator with 4 Euclids and a player tap (and ID8 by default) and I'd like to keep that as something that can be attached to any instrument or combinator but it sounds like that is not possible. I know I can just drag a different instrument into the combinator but what I can't do is drag another combinator into it. It's not ruining my life but I thought it would be a useful thing to have a combinator that can feed MIDI to the next device in the rack, just like a player.

Of course, I can achieve what I want if I use two instances of the RRP in another DAW.

Again, thanks all.

huggermugger

26 Oct 2021

I'm the one who proposed the multi-Euclid into CVPTap.

You can do it just as easily with a Combinator Instrument as with the default ID8, although of course your Instrument Combi will have to reside outside your Euclid Combi.

First create your Euclid Combi with CVPTap. Then add the Instrument Combi you want to the Rack, and drag -only- the CVPTap from the Euclid Combi to the top of the Instrument Combi.

Here's a short video showing the process...

• Information