Change velocity on multiple notes quickly

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Skeebs

23 Oct 2021

Hi there, I am novice using Reason 12 and have written a full song. However, the drums are too prominent and I'm trying to improve that by reducing the velocity of the notes. I want to do the entire length of the song and then raise the occasional crash or ride. Is there a way of doing this without highlighting each note and changing the velocity amount?

Seckin

23 Oct 2021

Hello and welcome on board! You can select all your notes, hit F8 on your keyboard, and on the Tool Window that appears you'll see a tab titled Note Velocity. You can use the note velocity tools on there to change the velocity of all selected notes by or to a given value, scale them, or randomize them to your taste.
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

huggermugger

24 Oct 2021

Yet another situation where Delta comes to the rescue. It's truly a Swiss Army Knife for Reason.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.15.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.15.43 AM.png (334.52 KiB) Viewed 519 times

AttenuationHz

24 Oct 2021

Skeebs wrote:
23 Oct 2021
Hi there, I am novice using Reason 12 and have written a full song. However, the drums are too prominent and I'm trying to improve that by reducing the velocity of the notes. I want to do the entire length of the song and then raise the occasional crash or ride. Is there a way of doing this without highlighting each note and changing the velocity amount?
Depends how your song is structured, and where the samples are being triggered from. There are multiple ways to change the velocity. If you select all the notes you want to change like the kick lane for example, you can simple decrease the velocity from the sequencer or press F8 for other more advanced velocity changes.

If your drums are too prominent then they could probably do with being mixed again in all honesty. Changing the velocity would be the hard route to mix drums, but if the velocity isn't to your liking to begin with it would be best to look at that before mixing again, you will most likely have to mix again if you change the velocity.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information