Reason 11 Usb Midi Latency issue

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Re8et
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2021

I have a setup with Asio4All giving access to Reason of five usb Synths.

Feature request thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7524169&p=581524#p581524

I'm experiencing massive midi latency throughput from Reason to all the external usb devices connected.
All usb devices are connected to my pc through an active-powered high end usb multiplier port rated for up to 2A per usb port and USB3.0 connection to pc.
All usb devices are usb 2.0

The OP-1 has a built in keyboard.
Roland Jp-08 and other 3 boutiques.
Audio is monitored both through external mixer and internal usb audio.
There's no delay between external and internal usb audio in latency.
Asio latency is set to max samples and 44.1k, as the boutiques run on 44.1k. I found them more responsive at higher latency values.
How Asio resolve internal and usb devices latency is a mistery to me...
Playing any Rsn instrument with the same Midi keyboard has zero problems with the same prj open.
The Op-1 usb drivers are simply better than the Rolands, no questions, but even using an external usb-midi converter for
the OP-1, there was midi and clock delays even prior to the usb-audio-midi protocol-update. (not possible to run full midi cables).

I made this short-proof video about it.
I would be glad if any of rs could get a look into it.
I have no solutions for this other than go full midi....

the Big fix here would be to rewrite the Audio preference Reason interface to accept multiple sub-devices, replacing the need for Asio4All.
It could not be Asio4All fault at all anyway. I don't know it.
It could be win 10 internal usb buffer... or else.
Any idea how to monitor usb buffer overflows on win???

My setup also include main pc - win 10 all updates ok
Audio Motu Ultralite FW.

zoidkirb

23 Oct 2021

For low latency you don't want max samples, rather as low as you can get away with until your cpu starts to struggle.
I tend to run 128 samples on average, thru my focusrite and it's own drivers. Never had latency issues with Reason/synth/midi controller.

Re8et
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2021

zoidkirb wrote:
23 Oct 2021
For low latency you don't want max samples, rather as low as you can get away with until your cpu starts to struggle.
I tend to run 128 samples on average, thru my focusrite and it's own drivers. Never had latency issues with Reason/synth/midi controller.
I'm not sure what Asio does to the usb-devices that works as sound-card also; if it is affecting i.e. changing the latency of the devices also
or the latency is only on the cpu-reason side?

My Ultralite is set to 48khz and 1024 samples, it's acceptable to me. If I go any lower, devices like the Roland D-05 will slow down Reason clock
to freezing halts. I have no idea the Asio tree what is doing....

If you watched the vid it's not 45ms latency we are talking about, it's more like 1, 2 secs!!

zoidkirb

23 Oct 2021

Have you tried using the
Motus own drivers? Asio4all is more of a last resort solution. And some interfaces don't play nice with it.
45ms latency would be really bad, but 2 seconds is crazy. Has this setup ever worked correctly? I''d wanna try the proper motu drivers first. And then a different daw, and then a different interface altogether.

• Information