CV to MIDI data

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
wtfaulkner

21 Oct 2021

Hoping some of the experts here can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I have a live drum track that has way too much bleed, and is not to click.

I have narrowly isolated the EQ frequencies for the kick and the snare, and successfully used the CV to trigger pads 1 and 2 on a Kong. So I've got my triggers happening successfully.

Since there is so much bleed from bass and rhythm guitar, my triggers are 95% of the way perfect... there are just a few places where the kick will hit twice where I need it to hit once, So what I'd like to do is translate the Kong triggers into MIDI in the sequencer, and just remove those few extra hits. Should be easy. Once I get the MIDI data I could clean everything up in under 10 minutes.

When I record-enable the Kong track in the sequencer and play the track, no MIDI data gets recorded. This is 2021. This should be happening, right? Is this something wrong with Kong or something wrong with me? :-)
Any RE's that make this easy? The Kong pads are being triggered... by CV instead of by me and my controller. Shouldn't that record to track? Does Kong care if it is a human or CV triggering it? Why should it be different? I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with the way I'm doing it rather than with Kong. Do I need a specific RE?

I'm on R11 Suite, Mac OS 10.14.
I'm triggering the Kong via CV as shown in this video:

I won't be around to respond quickly so let me thank you in advance for help.

huggermugger

21 Oct 2021

You can do it with CVPTap, a free Player from LectricPanda.

- Insert CVPTap on top of Kong.
- Patch the Follower output into a Gate on CVPTap. You should still be able to trigger Kong when you playback your audio.
- Set up L and R Points in the Sequencer (a range to capture), and click Send To Track on CVPTap.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 3.47.39 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 3.47.39 PM.jpg (369.7 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 3.47.32 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 3.47.32 PM.jpg (357.92 KiB) Viewed 674 times

wtfaulkner

21 Oct 2021

This looks like just what I needed. Thank you.

Still surprised that a MIDI Instrument like Kong, being triggered by CV, can’t just record those triggers. If anyone can explain why that is, let me know. Seems like it should be that easy.

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2021

wtfaulkner wrote:
21 Oct 2021
When I record-enable the Kong track in the sequencer and play the track, no MIDI data gets recorded. This is 2021. This should be happening, right? Is this something wrong with Kong or something wrong with me? :-)
You asked. And this understanding is very helpful for all things, esp when making Art.

Reason uses a certain paradigm - or way of thinking. This paradigm is not necessarily the same as that used by you, other people, or other applications. The assumption that all things should work on the same paradigms that you chose, or just fell into from not realizing that there are options - like French kids mistakenly think that French is the only/sensible language :o - is a flawed one.

Kong responds to MIDI Notes via its Sequencer track and/or CV via its rear inputs. There is that ability to take CV In and echo it to CV Outs (per Pad) as is the way most hardware traditionally worked. Otherwise Audio, CV, and MIDI are discreet things that need conversion. Such conversion is really only necessary in the reasonably rare events that someone wants to do it that way. In which case, as noted above, there are devices available that do those sorts of conversions. Reason does have a method where device patterns can be rendered to MIDI in the Sequencer either via a device like ReDrum or the new Players system.

Reason is a very elegant system overall with many impressive strengths over "typical" DAWs. Or in this case, more traditionally bearing in mind real-world/hardware studios of the '70s-'90s. It does mean that some things happen differently - not the way you expect, or not at all. Other DAWs have often created new paradigms that are less rooted in traditional methods. IMO some of these are great, some lose sight of the core basics of how music and audio work. But if people get there with great results, I am happy for them to do that without saying it is "wrong".

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

wtfaulkner

22 Oct 2021

You’ll get no argument from me that Reason is a great DAW. I’ve tried others but keep coming back to Reason and have been using it since v.3.

I suppose my joking nature didn’t come through when I asked if something was “wrong” with Kong. True, I expected that this would work, simply, and was surprised when it didn’t. My assumption was not that something was actually wrong... which is why I asked what “I” was doing wrong in the opening of the post.

My actual assumption was that a device that is 1) capable of taking CV input and 2) capable of writing MIDI data (when receiving non-CV input) MIGHT therefore be able to do the conversion itself. That it isn’t capable of this surprised me, but technically you are correct... it doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with the device. Kong is, in fact, my favorite Reason rhythm making device, hands down. I use it on all my tracks. I’ve never had to trigger such badly recorded drums before so this was a new case for me. I appreciate the explanation, but have to admit I feel talked down to.

To anyone else following this thread, CV TAP worked perfectly. It was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you u/huggermugger for the simple, concise answer.

AttenuationHz

22 Oct 2021

Benedict wrote:
21 Oct 2021
wtfaulkner wrote:
21 Oct 2021
You asked. And this understanding is very helpful for all things, esp when making Art.

Reason uses a certain paradigm - or way of thinking. This paradigm is not necessarily the same as that used by you, other people, or other applications. The assumption that all things should work on the same paradigms that you chose, or just fell into from not realizing that there are options - like French kids mistakenly think that French is the only/sensible language :o - is a flawed one.

Kong responds to MIDI Notes via its Sequencer track and/or CV via its rear inputs. There is that ability to take CV In and echo it to CV Outs (per Pad) as is the way most hardware traditionally worked. Otherwise Audio, CV, and MIDI are discreet things that need conversion. Such conversion is really only necessary in the reasonably rare events that someone wants to do it that way. In which case, as noted above, there are devices available that do those sorts of conversions. Reason does have a method where device patterns can be rendered to MIDI in the Sequencer either via a device like ReDrum or the new Players system.

Reason is a very elegant system overall with many impressive strengths over "typical" DAWs. Or in this case, more traditionally bearing in mind real-world/hardware studios of the '70s-'90s. It does mean that some things happen differently - not the way you expect, or not at all. Other DAWs have often created new paradigms that are less rooted in traditional methods. IMO some of these are great, some lose sight of the core basics of how music and audio work. But if people get there with great results, I am happy for them to do that without saying it is "wrong".

Nicely put Benedict!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 Oct 2021

wtfaulkner wrote:
22 Oct 2021
...but have to admit I feel talked down to.
...Thank you u/huggermugger for the simple, concise answer.
And now of course I feel pooped upon.
One of us meant to insult the other. One did not.
One spoke broadly based on what was written to try to help all. One did not.

You are welcome to your feelings as I am welcome to mine. In a public forum all are (and must be) welcome to speak openly.
However, being deliberately unkind is not in the charter.
Therefore this will be left alone now seeing you have said your piece and I have said mine.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information