What midi controller do you use?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Barriott

20 Oct 2021

Im really struggling.

My arturia keystep pro is great but if I'm trying to sync it (i.e make it the master) to reason and I'm getting a small drift with the KSPs clock. It's very frustrating as it creates all sorts of not very nice noises as reason tries to compensate for the changing clock.

Do any of you fine people have any experience syncing a midi controller to reason?

What controllers are you using?

If your interested what I'm wanting to do is use it in a live situation. Drums guitar and bass are playing. I want to sync up with the band using a tap tempo and then introduce an apeggio, or sequence via players triggered by my keyboard.

Seems like this should be an easy thing to do

DaveyG

21 Oct 2021

It's almost always best to make the DAW the master in most setups that involve a DAW. Some DAWs don't even offer the option to sync to an external clock and of those that do some are more successful than others. I think the basic problem is that DAWs need to run a much faster internal clock than MIDI in order to process audio. It's not impossible but it seems that it is challenging for some!

Solution 1 is to use Reason as the master clock and tap the tempo into Reason. I don't know if that is possible from an external controller but I would hope so.
Solution 2 is to persuade the band to play to a click track. They'll hate that and probably mutter rude things about their keyboard player.
Solution 3 is to try a different DAW. Live 11 even boasts a "tempo follow" function which claims to be able to "listen" to audio and adjust the DAW tempo to match. I don't know how well that works.
Solution 4 is a tongue-in-cheek variant on solution 2. Fire the drummer and generate the drums yourself. You'll have the same number of musicians in the band, you'll each keep a bigger slice of the earnings and you won't need such a large van to transport the kit.

Solution 1 requires that the band maintain an even tempo throughout the song, or at least during the bits where you needs to trigger sequences. Some bands are better than others in this respect!

Barriott

21 Oct 2021

Firing the drummer is very tempting

wereMole88

21 Oct 2021

DaveyG wrote:
21 Oct 2021
Solution 1 is to use Reason as the master clock and tap the tempo into Reason. I don't know if that is possible from an external controller but I would hope so.

Bome Midi translator Pro can convert external MIDI into targetted mouseclicks on the screen.

jam-s

21 Oct 2021

wereMole88 wrote:
21 Oct 2021
DaveyG wrote:
21 Oct 2021

Bome Midi translator Pro can convert external MIDI into targetted mouseclicks on the screen.
No need to do this as the tap tempo button can be assigned using Remote override.

wereMole88

21 Oct 2021

That's even better - wasnt sure whether it was.

DJMaytag

21 Oct 2021

+1 on making your DAW the master. Even better is getting some sort of device(s) that convert audio to MIDI, like Expert Sleepers USAMO, their ES-series Eurorack Modules, or... I forget what it's called, but there's another big company that makes something similar (Sync Gen?). Going this route improves your MIDI out to being sample accurate, rather than the latency you will always have to deal with from anything with a USB out.

Barriott

21 Oct 2021

jam-s wrote:
21 Oct 2021
wereMole88 wrote:
21 Oct 2021

No need to do this as the tap tempo button can be assigned using Remote override.
Yes. This is my current work around.

I assign the bottom c to tap tempo.

Ive been asking arturia if they can unlock their tap tempo on the keystep pro so I can remote map that to the tap tempo.

MixerJaexx

21 Oct 2021

Regarding tap tempo, if you’re interested in getting a mixer like the Behringer X-Touch, my free mixer interface has a tap tempo function included (the “TOUCH” button on the mixer).

https://www.jaexx.com/blog/reason-custo ... ap-layout/

Of all my hardware, Nektar Panorama P1, Ableton Push via PusheR (mothballed), Keith McMillen K-Board Pro, Roland A49 (mothballed), Arturia Keystep, Korg padKontrol, Novation Launchpad X, I use my 24 channel Behringer X-Touch’s for tap tempo (even though I have tap tempo custom-remote mapped on nearly all these devices). The “central control” utility of my mixer interface (undo / redo, clipping meter resetting, changing MIDI focus with LCD readout, loop marker changing, etc) adds a lot of usefulness in minute-to minute tasks.

That’s sorta’ my answer to what MIDI controller(s) I use.
Mixer Jaëxx
www.jaexx.com

• Information