Reason Flashing like a strobe light

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Nerveclinic

20 Oct 2021

So since uploading Reason 12 I have had many issues with it's performance. Just to get this out of the way, I have a 2019 21" iMac with the fastest chip at the time (3.2GHZ i7) and 32MB RAM. Spent about $2,500 on it so I am thinking it's not because the computer can't handle it.

Someone suggested wiping the drive, down-loading a new operating system, and reinstalling Reason, so I did.

After reloading Reason, when I open a song, Reason flashes over and over like a strobe light. I tried attaching a video to this thread but got an error message.

Close the song reopen, same thing. Open different song same.

Any guess what the cause could be?

Of course I will contact Reason support but I have had very serious issues with them taking a long time getting back to me in the past.

Any help appreciated.

Pepin

20 Oct 2021

I would first check if it still happens in a new user account with all peripherals disconnected except keyboard/mouse.

I'd also try these:
- Set resolution to "Default for this Display"
- Disable Night Shift (I've had this cause flicker before, though not in Reason)
- Disable "Open in Low Resolution" from Get Info on the Reason app, if it's currently enabled

What GPU does that iMac have?

Nerveclinic

20 Oct 2021

Pepin wrote:
20 Oct 2021

Thanks for the suggestions.

GPU is Radeon Pro 555X 2 GB

Nerveclinic

20 Oct 2021

Pepin wrote:
20 Oct 2021
I would first check if it still happens in a new user account with all peripherals disconnected except keyboard/mouse.

I'd also try these:
- Set resolution to "Default for this Display"
- Disable Night Shift (I've had this cause flicker before, though not in Reason)
- Disable "Open in Low Resolution" from Get Info on the Reason app, if it's currently enabled

Was already set as default.
Night shift was off
Went to check the "open in low resolution". Just opened Reason, no song and the entire program just turned orange.
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 7.16.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 7.16.14 PM.png (51.29 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Obviously I need to delete and reload Reason from scratch?

Nerveclinic

20 Oct 2021

One thing I noticed when I got to the preferences was that sample rate default sets to 192,000..checking to see if that is the problem.

Pepin

20 Oct 2021

I doubt reinstalling Reason again would fix it. To me it looks more like a graphics driver failure. Though it's hard to say if that's the root cause of your problems.

Are you on the latest version of Big Sur? And have you tested with all peripherals disconnected (so no audio interface, external monitors, etc.)?
192 kHz sounds like you're still using an external interface, as the internal card doesn't support that sample rate afaik.

jam-s

20 Oct 2021

Also make sure that you have the latest patch level release of your OS installed.

Nerveclinic

20 Oct 2021

So changing from 192K to 48 K the strobe is about half as fast/often.

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2021

Have you restarted Windows (or OS of choice)?

The reason I ask is that I get some pretty odd things in Reason with parts missing and screen sections flickering (with my NVIDIA 2070 Super) and a R
ReStart fixes it every time. Not great but moving forward again (quickly with an SSD).

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

plaamook

21 Oct 2021

jam-s wrote:
20 Oct 2021
Also make sure that you have the latest patch level release of your OS installed.
Yeah. Was gonna write this myself.
I had this exact problem and worse and it was fixed by installing the last Mojave update which I missed.
Absolutely check your os is up to date.

Mathias himself said there were Max os graphics bugs that they couldn’t deal with at Props that got sorted with osx updates.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

KGB

21 Oct 2021

I get the strobe light effect when I close one of my eq VSTs (Crave EQ2).
It would happen all of the time before I started connecting my laptop to my TV via Thunderbolt.
Now, it only happens occasionally.

Are you opening Reason with a clean session? Meaning no other VSTs preloaded in a Template of some sort?
I would be curious to know the result of your ticket as well.

brand

21 Oct 2021

jam-s wrote:
20 Oct 2021
^This.
Same thing was happening to me. Then it was suggested that I make sure that I was at the top OS update of my version (which I think is Catalina.) So far, so good. Note: I have zero info about running Reason on top of Big Sur, or Monterey (whenever that's supposed to come out...)

• Information