Reason+ 50% at Pluginboutique

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Yonatan

17 Oct 2021

Kind of glad I bought the upgrade because I would have taken this deal otherwise. I do want a version to fall back on, but this deal is good. Sooner or later RS will release some new cool device.

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2021

Yonatan wrote:
17 Oct 2021
Kind of glad I bought the upgrade because I would have taken this deal otherwise. I do want a version to fall back on, but this deal is good. Sooner or later RS will release some new cool device.
With the state that 12 is in new devices from RS directly probably won't be seen until 13. By that time you will be paying for 2 years or more of subscription also so it is all relative, disproportionality so if only 1 device tickles your fancy. Question becomes is double or more the value of R+ worth it if you have a version to fall back on and can get a new device if one is released for the cheaper price than what a sub will cost yearly. This is one of the main problems with the subscription service, everything is unknowns. It is 50/50 also that a new device will be added as a stock device in a future version, but it is less costly to own a copy of Reason and purchase devices from RS that really can not be done without, you can get by without most non stock devices also.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

deigm

17 Oct 2021

They'll still release devices through 12. It's what they do first and foremost. That said, you're still paying for them with the subscription. It's just a choice of pre-paid or post-paid.

plasticfractal

17 Oct 2021

That's cool. I need new content like I need a hole in the head, but if I start seeing cool devices and other worthwhile benefits to R+ I may consider it though. I'll keep an eye on it.

Yonatan

17 Oct 2021

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2021
Yonatan wrote:
17 Oct 2021
With the state that 12 is in new devices from RS directly probably won't be seen until 13. By that time you will be paying for 2 years or more of subscription also so it is all relative, disproportionality so if only 1 device tickles your fancy. Question becomes is double or more the value of R+ worth it if you have a version to fall back on and can get a new device if one is released for the cheaper price than what a sub will cost yearly. This is one of the main problems with the subscription service, everything is unknowns. It is 50/50 also that a new device will be added as a stock device in a future version, but it is less costly to own a copy of Reason and purchase devices from RS that really can not be done without, you can get by without most non stock devices also.
About Reason+ I think it depends on if you are already well in the Reason ecosystem or a new user. For me, as having many RE:s already and only misses Pattern Mutator and Algoritm (two I do want to have sooner or later), buying the license seem to be the better option at this point.
For someone who is new and have not got the RE:s that comes with Reason+, and getting the soundpacks, it is a lot more value.
If I had not already a lot of RE:s, I would probably see Reason+ as a decent way to test the waters and give it a fair try.
And many who uses other music software might be in that position. If they feel that they want to go all in, they could buy Reason at a sale and also the top RS RE:s that they found most useful and inspiring.

Yonatan

17 Oct 2021

A really bad deal would be to take 1 year Reason+ for €199, then after it expires, one decides to buy R12 at €199.
In this new pricey scenario, a 50% 1 year R+ and after that get hold of a 50% R12 license for €99, could be seen as a fair deal, staying at about €199 for getting both worlds.

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2021

Yeah it's short term gains, 10 years of upgrades and a new RE' every so often or in between (3rd party or RS) or every year is far more worth it in the long run, but in saying that if you look at it in another way, progressive updates have been a longer con for so many years. Eventually ideas run dry to make major versions better. RE's have to be added as stock devices so it is more appealing to upgrade. The subscription service in the long run is fairly damaging to a healthy product because they have committed to adding their RE's when they release them which can make less profit than what they may make in the initial release hype of any one individual product.

It is different when a subscription service offers more things obviously, for instance if there was free technique content with subscription's it could be more appealing or a build your bundle type of thing, and there is a lot of people in this community that can share that technique if incentivised to do so, that in the long run would be healthy for Reason and for the Music Industry for that matter. If there was a subscription service which is supportive for the income of 3rd party dev's I would be all over that because 3rd party developers make Reason more appealing to a wider audience, both creatively and supportively to RS. It would support 3rd party developers indefinitely and keep them making devices if they have a steady income, however in saying that care would have to be taken in what/who is subscribed to. In the long run it would be possible to have every developer making money if there was package's you could subscribe to, like idk you sponsor 4 developers and get all their RE for the length of the subscription, or every device being on the rent to own scheme. After a certain period you no longer have to pay but still have supported their endeavour, I would gladly pay an extra month if it meant I could both support developers work and their devices and or device, so long as you do eventually own the product and finish the payment you commit to pay for. Money is the issue for any learner, rent-to-own is the best of both worlds. They can be enabled to write their own path without worrying about all the psychological conflicts of using Reason like a headless chicken. But obviously the knowledge learned by subscribing to technique could help shape your path also. So it needs to be more cohesive. There is a big split in the community because of the way subscriptions have been implemented.

The thing about subscription also for new users is that it can be more overwhelming to learn Reason if you have to know the ins and outs of everything it offers but it is a first step to whet the appetite for a dream one has. It seems to be an unofficial or official motto, whatever way you hear it that making music in Reason should be made as easy as possible, but all that does is give the user a false sense of skills, which in the long run does hold back the evolution of both Reason and their User in the sense of eventually the user will be pissed off because they can't fulfil what they had originally planned to do to be successful in an extremely competitive Music Industry. The Music Industry in general has many niche's that the 'independent musician' nowadays does need to know in order to be successful, schooling is very much a need of any prospect and the first step in the process really, but that is really where any passion starts. Being enabled to develop, for all skill levels!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

• Information