Too Many Refills/Folders in Favorites = Sluggishness

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jaeproduced

16 Oct 2021

Question has any notice sluggish performance when you have a lot of Refills or Folders in the favorite section and is there a number of refills/folders in your favorites section that you shouldn't exceed?

moneykube

16 Oct 2021

is this in 12? I have not run into it version 2.5 to 11, I fill favourites with folders by type... each contains great multitudes of files
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

djsegwon

16 Oct 2021

check my searching for samples videos ,reason has very very poor file indexing issues!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLN5N ... zEy--gfugv

jaeproduced

17 Oct 2021

moneykube wrote:
16 Oct 2021
is this in 12? I have not run into it version 2.5 to 11, I fill favourites with folders by type... each contains great multitudes of files
Yes it's Reason 12 on MBP 15in 2012 Mojave 2.3GHz 16Gigs, I generally just drag a refill over to the favorite section along with a preset patch or folder full of wav Drums. I've notice how slow drag & drop has become as well as strolling up & down on the rack. I'm assuming it's too many items in the favorite section...

jaeproduced

17 Oct 2021

djsegwon wrote:
16 Oct 2021
check my searching for samples videos ,reason has very very poor file indexing issues!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the new search feature in Reason 12 would have fixed this issue?

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2021

Yep there is a few issues with indexing and it is hard to pin down exactly what the cause is. A lot of refills could be one of the causes of the issue with indexing. It is certainly possible that one or two specific refills cause the issue also.

I posted this in the browser thread so I'll just copy paste similar here to save the bother of typing it out again:

If it is falling back on that old search opening folders and .favo list (loading bar opening locations every time you reopen reason) it means the indexing is not working as it should, when indexing is working it opens locations extremely quick and searching "all locations" is responsive. I spent about 4-5 days trying to investigate what might be causing it and came to the conclusion that it is based on either large locations (1 to 100gb and over), duplicated refills, or corrupt data and or bad samples in the folders, I've no idea what the exact cause is - to add to this it could also be symlink files in locations or too many refills, although I think I ruled out symlink locations. Mine is working well at the moment and opens quick after moving some older refills out of indexed folders and rebuilding the index. The index file appears to write then delete the data constantly when the bug occurs, see .gif below. If your index file is doing this or has done this I'd recommend rebuilding it if you removed or condensed your lists. The old indexed data will still be in the index file.
indexLargeFolders.gif
indexLargeFolders.gif (6.71 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
The file should be named __ReasonIndex_v4.dat found in these locations:

macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Reason/Plugin Screenshots
Windows: %AppData%\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason

Once you delete the index file it will rebuild when you start reason again. It will rebuild as soon as it opens, if it takes a long time to build there is something causing it to write and delete data simultaneously, the only way to tell for sure if it is doing this is to rebuild fully and when finished it will be increasing/decreasing by about 4bits every second or so, if it is building by about 4 bits per/second it means something is fucky. Building the index should be quick enough, depending on how much data there is in your lists it could take between 20 - 30 mins also (based on my data that was about 200gb) - however I observed it building extremely quickly with all large locations removed. After I removed large locations from my lists I added them back in manually after rebuilding and observed how quick it would be added to the index, sometimes you have to open the folder you added to initialise indexing. If you have no large locations and observe the index cache not increasing make a backup of the file it will save time if you are going the trial and error route to find what folders or locations cause the slow indexing read/write. If it is continuously writing it has a very hard time reading the index.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2021

djsegwon wrote:
16 Oct 2021

What exactly should we be looking for you seem to have a few videos there. Is there old behaviour you can classify as a bug still present in the updated browser? I just skimmed through your first video in the playlist you linked and was shocked that you have 500k midi files, that is an extraordinary amount of midi files.

If you still have these 3 locations, only in your browser, you would have to rule things out. The above post has info on how to do that. TLDR; remove the locations, delete your index file, restart reason, allow it to build the index then add things in one by one. Probably best to start with the refills cut/paste them into a new location and when you add them to the list location be sure to click off the browser folder so a different folder is selected, when you cut/paste opening the refill folder will add the newly added refills to the index (if there was a refresh on the browser this would be easier - you need to refresh manually by backing out of the refill location in the browser)
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2021

djsegwon wrote:
16 Oct 2021

The problem isn't just file indexing, but just a monstrously slow search in general.

I shared my timings on the old PUF that compared Reason's search for wave files compared to a basic shell script and using the basic C library.

They were both orders of magnitude faster than Reason.

There's clearly some unnecessary delay in their process for some strange reason

WarStar

17 Oct 2021

Sometimes my favs folder will not have any .wav files and only reason none .wav files... Then magically they'll appear again.. doesn't happen often but happens enough to be annoying

• Information