R12 and iZotope Plugins

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mravdirato

15 Oct 2021

Anyone experiencing lags while iZotope plugins are loaded on the Mix Channels? Can't navigate or use the plugs while playing my project. I've already played with the app zoom even the buffer size. Anyone?

Tinnitus

15 Oct 2021

Yes it's dreadful on a busy project. I have to disable them when trying to record via midi. Been like this since V10 iirc.
And this is running on a 5600x.

Billy+

15 Oct 2021

Never got round to testing under R12 before I removed it but I use neutron3 & ozone8 advanced without problems in R11 on Mac

npinero1

15 Oct 2021

Izotope plugins are very good but were always CPU intensive. If you turn on the "Show CPU load for devices" in the Options menu you will see that Izotope plugins are some of the most CPU hungry devices. It is not a Reason issue, the plugins are CPU hungry on Studio One and ProTools also.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

drun robots

15 Oct 2021

Izotope plugins are as good as hungry - you can also see this on the delay compensation values - most of my sessions in R11 with ozone bypassed are around 8000 samples delayed, and with ozone 32000 samples delayed - at 48K it's almost a second of processing, which of course is being done by the CPU
drunkrobots.bandcamp.com

esselfortium

15 Oct 2021

They seem fine here in R12 on macOS Big Sur.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

miscend

16 Oct 2021

If you're talking about Ozone then that one is meant for mastering and is quite heavy on the CPU. You may have issues if you put it on too many mix channels. You may have to increase your buffer settings. If you have Izoptope's Neutron it's lighter on CPU and has lower latency so much better suited for putting on lots of channels.

vacuum_collapse

16 Nov 2021

Just wanted to bump this thread to say I am also very bothered by this! I am encountering two issues. Firstly, once too many GUI heavy / Izotope plugins are added (~ 5 - 10), the plugin GUI's stutter or completely freeze while playing audio, even when the audio is fine and CPU usage is still relatively low. Secondly, it does seem that CPU usage is high compared to loading a similar amount of plugins in the Ableton trial for comparison.

This is a real shame. I upgraded to 12 from Reason 8 after a hiatus from music, and hoped to compose the main ideas in Maschine, and to do the final finish and mixing in Reason. But now I can't properly use the iZotope plugins which I bought especially for this. I was already closing my eyes to lack of multitimbral VST support, and some other features, but now I am at a point where I feel the only choice is to switch DAW :(.

jam-s

16 Nov 2021

vacuum_collapse wrote:
16 Nov 2021
Just wanted to bump this thread to say I am also very bothered by this! I am encountering two issues. Firstly, once too many GUI heavy / Izotope plugins are added (~ 5 - 10), the plugin GUI's stutter or completely freeze while playing audio, even when the audio is fine and CPU usage is still relatively low. Secondly, it does seem that CPU usage is high compared to loading a similar amount of plugins in the Ableton trial for comparison.
My guess is that you encounter this with a pretty small buffer setting. Mastering plugins usually perform much better if you increase the buffer size to quite substantial amounts, which is totally OK as during mastering or mixing you typically do not need low latency any more as you then do not want to record any more midi or audio.

vacuum_collapse

17 Nov 2021

jam-s wrote:
16 Nov 2021
vacuum_collapse wrote:
16 Nov 2021
My guess is that you encounter this with a pretty small buffer setting. Mastering plugins usually perform much better if you increase the buffer size to quite substantial amounts, which is totally OK as during mastering or mixing you typically do not need low latency any more as you then do not want to record any more midi or audio.
Indeed it helps to increase the buffer size, but still the GUI's will freeze eventually after adding a few more instances. Putting buffer size to largest setting is not enough. The problem also happens for the Neutron plugins which are for mixing not mastering. But I agree latency is less of / not an issue for mixing / mastering.

• Information