R12 hangs on open of some projects

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

10 Oct 2021

anyone else experiencing similar behavior?

I have a large project from 11 I’m trying to open in 12, and Reason becomes completely unresponsive once it loads the UI, even after 10+ minutes. can’t make any changes in Reason, don’t even get tooltips. Windows is fine. it shows there are changes (the asterisk by the file name), and if I try to force close, it asks me if I want to save changes, but clicking there does nothing and I have no option but to force close with Task Manager. restarting the PC doesn’t help either.

it’s a pretty beefy new build, with tons of RAM, and all SSDs. still, I’m going to try opening it and just leaving for a while, in case Reason is just taking stupidly long to figure something out in the background.

it’s not a corrupted file either—loads fine in 11. other projects load fine in 12.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

withnail

10 Oct 2021

Yes, I’m getting exactly the same. Really annoying. My PC is a beefy one as well. I left it running for 15 mins, still nothing, had to kill reason in process manager.

guitfnky

11 Oct 2021

got busy with other stuff and left it open for almost a full day—still hung up. I wondered if maybe it didn’t like the save file from an earlier version of v11 than the most recent version (it’s been a while since I’d worked on the project)—so I saved as, and tried opening the fresh save from 12, and still not working. last thing before I open a ticket is to try a few of the other files I have, and also try a saving a new v11 project and seeing if that opens in 12.

Billy+

11 Oct 2021

guitfnky wrote:
11 Oct 2021
got busy with other stuff and left it open for almost a full day—still hung up. I wondered if maybe it didn’t like the save file from an earlier version of v11 than the most recent version (it’s been a while since I’d worked on the project)—so I saved as, and tried opening the fresh save from 12, and still not working. last thing before I open a ticket is to try a few of the other files I have, and also try a saving a new v11 project and seeing if that opens in 12.
Had search finished indexing your locations?

I think someone else reported hangs due to large collections and removing them from the search locations seemed to help..

guitfnky

11 Oct 2021

Billy+ wrote:
11 Oct 2021
guitfnky wrote:
11 Oct 2021

I think someone else reported hangs due to large collections and removing them from the search locations seemed to help..
I guess I don’t know how to check that…but I would imagine any indexing has to have completed by now, considering I’ve been using 12 for a few weeks now and there have been some pretty lengthy sessions in there, where it should have had plenty of time to finish indexing.

Billy+

11 Oct 2021

guitfnky wrote:
11 Oct 2021
Billy+ wrote:
11 Oct 2021

I guess I don’t know how to check that…but I would imagine any indexing has to have completed by now, considering I’ve been using 12 for a few weeks now and there have been some pretty lengthy sessions in there, where it should have had plenty of time to finish indexing.
Actually if I'm remembering correctly the only solution to the big location search index bug was removing the bigger content as the index never completed and causes the issues on every run as it never completed the task.

I can't remember the post but I'm sure that removal was the only fix, which obviously wasn't a fix but it did stop the hanging issue for the poster.

withnail

11 Oct 2021

I reopened a backup of my hanging project from 7 weeks ago and it worked fine in Reason 12, full speed no problems.
I can't think what I've added... normally I just tweak endlessly for years until tweaking my way back to where I started (during lockdown I finally finished a track I started in 1989) (that was on an Amiga (Music X)) so I don't think I've added anything serious.
I've changed PC since that backup as well so it all gets hard to pin down.

The backup I loaded was complaining about missing VSTs (due to the PC change) so reopened the latest version of the track in 10 and disabled a few VSTs (Atlas and Garritan Orchestra - both heavy on the samples) and reloaded in 12 and I got very laggy control of the track.
Better but basically no real use.

I'm going back to tweaking in 10 until they've sorted this stuff out, I'm sure they will soon enough.

• Information