My Win updates pop-up states I can download and install Win 11 for free

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heigen5

08 Oct 2021

And I'm not sure it's a good idea to do so. Anyone else got that pop-up and has anyone of you went for it?

rgdaniel

08 Oct 2021

It's legit. But there's no guarantee until further in the process that your machine is eligible for upgrade. Also, IMHO, there's no good reason to upgrade at this time. YMMV, but Win 10 ain't broke for me, and I have no plans to "fix" it.

Heigen5

08 Oct 2021

rgdaniel wrote:
08 Oct 2021
It's legit. But there's no guarantee until further in the process that your machine is eligible for upgrade. Also, IMHO, there's no good reason to upgrade at this time. YMMV, but Win 10 ain't broke for me, and I have no plans to "fix" it.
Yeah, I think I'll pass right now. I have a working machine already now. Do you happen to know if Win 11 eats more CPU or other resources?

Billy+

08 Oct 2021

I've only just updated from 7 to 10 :lol:

rgdaniel

08 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
08 Oct 2021

Yeah, I think I'll pass right now. I have a working machine already now. Do you happen to know if Win 11 eats more CPU or other resources?
Haven't heard that specifically, but you might need to repeat any optimization efforts you made under Win 10, as default settings might not be ideal.

fullforce

08 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
08 Oct 2021
And I'm not sure it's a good idea to do so. Anyone else got that pop-up and has anyone of you went for it?
Hell no
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Captain Blood

08 Oct 2021

Heigen5 wrote:
08 Oct 2021
Given Miccysoft's history with OS releases, it's always a good rule of thumb to wait as long as you can before jumping in.

WOO

08 Oct 2021

I wait as long as possible to do a major update of windows after an update a few years back wiped my hard drive clean. All microsoft had to say on the matter was sorry. Could have lost hundreds of songs as well as thousands of photo's from my work as a photographer if it wasn't for it being backed up. Still lost a number of songs and photo's that I hadn't backed up before I hit the update button.

Benedict
Competition Winner

08 Oct 2021

I would assume it is a bit early to update to Win 11 for a production machine. I will be interested tho, hence opening this thread.

I may be wrong but I think there is a massively improved Zones on a big Screen process. Not that I use that but in time we will probably all have one huge-bottomed-girl to make our rockin' worked go round and there will need to be a system to hold zones of the screen to behave as multiple screens do right now.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information