Recreating the arpeggio from Grandaddy's crystal lake

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Barriott

04 Oct 2021

The arp kicks in at 0:25 and is a motif throughout the song. I'm trying to recreate and wondering if you guys could help me.

Might be over thinking it. Sounds kind if wonky to me. Like the top of the arp speeds up and then slows. Anyone know the actual synth they're using here?

Kindest of regards

Oper-8

04 Oct 2021

Strange thing, as usual with Grandaddy's synths !
Indeed it sounds like it's speeding up then slowing down. Actually, the first 4 notes (C, C, E, G) are played with a "16th triplets" feel (C - - C E G), then the next C, E, G, C, E sound like a quintuplet. But the top G playing on the next bar comes a bit off, though.

As for the synth itself, no idea, but this particular one here sounds very basic, like a sine wave. There's a forum here where the guys talk about Yamaha (PSS and the like, probably) and Casio (CTK series) : https://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Excellent album, by the way - and excellent band, of course !
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

Quarmat
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2021

To me sounds like a mix between sine for the body and triangle for the attack, with a bandpass filter on the medium-highs. Maybe try to route the signal to a Audiomatic, too

WarStar

04 Oct 2021

Love Sophomore Slump... Dude is a genius

• Information