I can't even.. upgraded from R7 to R12. Overwhelmed but happy!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Captain Blood

04 Oct 2021

I'm sorry, but I just had to say something to someone who would understand.. which isn't anyone in my circle of friends or associates anymore unfortunately!

So I been out of the game for a while, first time out was at a friends palce with ReBirth which was pretty orgasmic at the time.
Reason 1 I saw there too which was even more orgasmic.
Saw Reason 3 along the way somewhere.. but didn't purchase until Reason 7, just to play around with.. had some fun and then life happened.. forgot about it again!

Come back now and upgrade to 12... my GOD!! It's like an Avalanche!! It's too much to even take in... there's soo much to learn I can't even...
I mean it was pretty damn infinite what you could do in Reason 7 .. now it's way beyond that.. where do I start??!!

It'll take me months just to go through all the sounds and patches alone!! Overwhelmed but happy! :puf_smile:

Jackjackdaw

04 Oct 2021

I felt like that when I got Reason 10. My previous go on Reason was 2.5. and after that all my music production was tracking guitars , vocals and drums on emagic Logic.
I found the most overwhelming thing was, if I can make literally any sound, what sound do I actually want to make?! So I spent a bunch of time experimenting and figuring out my go to tools. Check out the old Propellerheads tutorial vids on YT , they are really good.

plaamook

04 Oct 2021

Yeah that’s important. Figuring out what you wanna make. It’s kinda like finding your voice round these parts I should think.
That took me a few years actually. I had fun along the way but it was frustrating before it kinda clicked.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

04 Oct 2021

Go through the manual, it is an excellent way to get yourself acquainted with all the different equipment.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2021

I'll share something that was useful to me:

The french author and nobel prize winner André Gide said: “ose devenir qui tu es” which translates into "dare to become who you are". As a musician I always felt the pressure to conform to some "styles" and "rules" that seemed appropriate to me; becasue I admired some artists or digged some genres I felt I had to be part of that scene or if the scene was long gone try to re-actualize it. It's all wrong. You'll become in the best case a good mannerist and in the worst case yoou'll end hating what you write and the whole process of writing music. Get rid of your expectations, get rid of your "mental films" about how you think people will react to your music, and simply sit down, pick a synth, a sampler, a guitar, a mic whatever and write music. Keep everything, develop only what truly resonates with you. Forget about all the rest. Eventually you'll find your sound, and even if it's the most obscure, esoteric, unfathomable, harsh and inaudible sound on earth it will please at least the most important person in the world: yourself.

Good luck and happy composing!

André Gide pictured with his rare pair of Sennheiser F1891 All-Fur headphones

OverneathTheSkyBridg

04 Oct 2021

I went from Reason 5 (arrrrgggghh the high seas!!!) to Reason 8 and have done every version since. The jump from 5 to 8 saw Reason turning into a "real DAW" for me, previously I was Rewiring into Ableton 5 I think. I can only imagine the jump from 7 to 12. With everything they have in there you won't need to buy REs for quite some time!

enossified

04 Oct 2021

Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.

I was never interested in audio recording inside Reason so I don't even use that. I jumped from 2.5 to 10 now at 11. It's certainly possible to just use the features from 2.5, although I have no good reason to avoid Combinators, Thor or Europa. I've never tried Kong...ever.

Chi-Individual

04 Oct 2021

The live streams on Youtube that started last year when quarantine hit can get you caught up some inner workings and you get to see how other users have their workflow at in Reason. 12 isn't really different from 11 anyway.

EnochLight

04 Oct 2021

Captain Blood wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Come back now and upgrade to 12... my GOD!! It's like an Avalanche!! It's too much to even take in... there's soo much to learn I can't even...
I mean it was pretty damn infinite what you could do in Reason 7 .. now it's way beyond that.. where do I start??!!

It'll take me months just to go through all the sounds and patches alone!! Overwhelmed but happy! :puf_smile:
First of all - welcome to Reasontalk! There's quite a few expats from the old Propellerhead User Forum here, but a ton of new users like yourself as well. Thankfully, the world has changed a lot since you first picked up version 1, and Youtube is now a veritable free goldmine of tutorials. If you're a visual learner, I strongly suggest you check out one of the many getting started with Reason videos. But here's some that should help you out:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Captain Blood

04 Oct 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
04 Oct 2021
I felt like that when I got Reason 10. My previous go on Reason was 2.5. and after that all my music production was tracking guitars , vocals and drums on emagic Logic.
I found the most overwhelming thing was, if I can make literally any sound, what sound do I actually want to make?! So I spent a bunch of time experimenting and figuring out my go to tools. Check out the old Propellerheads tutorial vids on YT , they are really good.
Thanks, it's good to know I'm not the only one! :D
I just found that 52 weeks series, pretty cool, although in some ways it just highlights how infinite all the way things can be combined really is.. I guess the ability to think laterally about how you can route things comes with practice.

Cheers

Captain Blood

04 Oct 2021

plaamook wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Yeah that’s important. Figuring out what you wanna make. It’s kinda like finding your voice round these parts I should think.
That took me a few years actually. I had fun along the way but it was frustrating before it kinda clicked.
Thanks that's good advice, I can hear that you've found yours.
Reminds me a little of a New Zealand band called Tinnitus, they're long gone now but were quite underground at the time.. like it! :thumbup:

Captain Blood

04 Oct 2021

Enlightenspeed wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Go through the manual, it is an excellent way to get yourself acquainted with all the different equipment.
Thanks, I have made a start of that, such fantastic documentation shouldn't be ignored.
Again a hell of a lot to take in but excellent place to start when looking at an instrument for the first time or learning how to use the sequencer as effortlessly as I see people doing in videos!

Captain Blood

04 Oct 2021

Quarmat wrote:
04 Oct 2021
I'll share something that was useful to me:

The french author and nobel prize winner André Gide said: “ose devenir qui tu es” which translates into "dare to become who you are". As a musician I always felt the pressure to conform to some "styles" and "rules" that seemed appropriate to me; becasue I admired some artists or digged some genres I felt I had to be part of that scene or if the scene was long gone try to re-actualize it. It's all wrong. You'll become in the best case a good mannerist and in the worst case yoou'll end hating what you write and the whole process of writing music. Get rid of your expectations, get rid of your "mental films" about how you think people will react to your music, and simply sit down, pick a synth, a sampler, a guitar, a mic whatever and write music. Keep everything, develop only what truly resonates with you. Forget about all the rest. Eventually you'll find your sound, and even if it's the most obscure, esoteric, unfathomable, harsh and inaudible sound on earth it will please at least the most important person in the world: yourself.

Good luck and happy composing!

André Gide pictured with his rare pair of Sennheiser F1891 All-Fur headphones
Quarmat, that is some of the best advice I've ever been given and quite insightful. I grew up loving Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis and Mike Oldfield.. first thing I thought of trying to do was recreate Jarre's Oxygene using only Subtractors and Redrum :lol: yea it is a bit stupid, although I was quite happy when I did work out some things he did back then.

I've been coming to the same conclusion with drawing too.. just do you and forget about trying to be the next H. R. Giger or Vangelis.. Thank you for that, you are a scholar and gentleman sir!

Captain Blood

04 Oct 2021

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
04 Oct 2021
I went from Reason 5 (arrrrgggghh the high seas!!!) to Reason 8 and have done every version since. The jump from 5 to 8 saw Reason turning into a "real DAW" for me, previously I was Rewiring into Ableton 5 I think. I can only imagine the jump from 7 to 12. With everything they have in there you won't need to buy REs for quite some time!
Yes exactly.. there's years to master just what's build in, I did buy the PX7 back in the day for that FM sound and a Parsec so I still have them to learn too.. :shock:

Do you still use Ableton?
I recall in the past it seemed to be the most popular and a lot of users of it rubbished Reason not that I care!
Use whatever you like and make music, why waste time rubbishing other options?

Captain Blood

04 Oct 2021

enossified wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it.

I was never interested in audio recording inside Reason so I don't even use that. I jumped from 2.5 to 10 now at 11. It's certainly possible to just use the features from 2.5, although I have no good reason to avoid Combinators, Thor or Europa. I've never tried Kong...ever.
Good point, I wouldn't try to use everything but I would like to get a feel for each and then I can select what works for me. Funnily enough the good old Subtractor is still a favourite, and nothing wrong with Redrum. Haven't tried Kong seriously either to be honest..

Captain Blood

04 Oct 2021

Chi-Individual wrote:
04 Oct 2021
The live streams on Youtube that started last year when quarantine hit can get you caught up some inner workings and you get to see how other users have their workflow at in Reason. 12 isn't really different from 11 anyway.
I'll take a look thanks for that.. it's not that different from 7 where I came from but there is a lot more instruments, effects and these players, not to mention all the samples, patches... and on and on.. :shock:

Captain Blood

04 Oct 2021

EnochLight wrote:
04 Oct 2021

First of all - welcome to Reasontalk! There's quite a few expats from the old Propellerhead User Forum here, but a ton of new users like yourself as well. Thankfully, the world has changed a lot since you first picked up version 1, and Youtube is now a veritable free goldmine of tutorials. If you're a visual learner, I strongly suggest you check out one of the many getting started with Reason videos. But here's some that should help you out:
Fantastic thanks, I feel welcome with all these responses. I'm more used to one or no responses in most forums!
Thanks for pointing out those videos, again much like Reason itself, it's a case of spoiled for choice.. where do you start with all these videos and which are worth watching. Certainly the ones from Propellerhead are good.. I'll watch these ones now.

Cheers

rorystorm

04 Oct 2021

Captain Blood wrote:
04 Oct 2021

Reminds me a little of a New Zealand band called Tinnitus, they're long gone now but were quite underground at the time.. like it! :thumbup:
They were an early 90s Ak band, kinda industrial electro? Involved with the Rotate Your State guys? I know I saw them but the memory is long gone.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

04 Oct 2021

Captain Blood wrote:
04 Oct 2021
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Yes exactly.. there's years to master just what's build in, I did buy the PX7 back in the day for that FM sound and a Parsec so I still have them to learn too.. :shock:

Do you still use Ableton?
I recall in the past it seemed to be the most popular and a lot of users of it rubbished Reason not that I care!
Use whatever you like and make music, why waste time rubbishing other options?
I have Ableton Live 10 Lite but don't use it that much. It's definitely the industry standard and a lot more popular than Reason. The only reason I was using it back in the day was to record vocals and guitar stuff, but now there's more than enough in current Reason where I can have it all under the same roof. For very serious audio stuff other programs work better, but for my needs Reason is perfect for having a creative environment. It's lacking in some things but it does a lot of other things that other DAWs don't. I also have Renoise but haven't been using it all that much either.

moofi

04 Oct 2021

Upgraded to 12 from 7 aswell just recently. Yes, I can feel you, there´s quite a lot to explore at first :-D
Since I got 12 I create Combinators aswell, watching quite some videos, experimenting with new devices, bought 4 new RE, making music in between.
Saying, yes, it can be quite a lot, then I very much enjoy it :-D
Captain Blood wrote:
04 Oct 2021
I'm sorry, but I just had to say something to someone who would understand.. which isn't anyone in my circle of friends or associates anymore unfortunately!

So I been out of the game for a while, first time out was at a friends palce with ReBirth which was pretty orgasmic at the time.
Saw Reason 3 along the way somewhere.. but didn't purchase until Reason 7, just to play around with.. had some fun and then life happened.. forgot about it again!

huggermugger

04 Oct 2021

I upgraded from R3 to R10. Mind Blown. Especially VST's and Players.

Captain Blood

05 Oct 2021

rorystorm wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Captain Blood wrote:
04 Oct 2021

They were an early 90s Ak band, kinda industrial electro? Involved with the Rotate Your State guys? I know I saw them but the memory is long gone.
Yes that's them!!, I dug out my library of their work recently and had a listen for the first time in many years which is why they were in mind. They started out in 86 I think, pretty experimental stuff for those days. Impressed you know of them, didn't know they got anywhere outside of us here in NZ!

Were those tracks created in Reason or did you use other equipment and software as well?
Last edited by Captain Blood on 05 Oct 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Blood

05 Oct 2021

moofi wrote:
04 Oct 2021
Upgraded to 12 from 7 aswell just recently. Yes, I can feel you, there´s quite a lot to explore at first :-D
Since I got 12 I create Combinators aswell, watching quite some videos, experimenting with new devices, bought 4 new RE, making music in between.
Saying, yes, it can be quite a lot, then I very much enjoy it :-D
I'm glad I came here, it's good to know other people are in the same place as me! :D

mimidancer

05 Oct 2021

Captain Blood wrote:
04 Oct 2021

Have fun and make the music you like.

Captain Blood

05 Oct 2021

huggermugger wrote:
04 Oct 2021
I upgraded from R3 to R10. Mind Blown. Especially VST's and Players.
I know right?? For me it's close to a thermonuclear explosion in my mind!
Players I haven't even looked at yet.. they're a whole dimention in themselves.

VST support was a good move. I know they were trying to protect their RE business but it had to happen.
I have just one VST which is the Arturia ARP 2600 which I can now have in my Reason songs at last, even if it its no much for a real one.

• Information