Where do Reason projects store audio files?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
shrubs

29 Sep 2021

I'm trying to access the audio files that I'm using in a project, and can't figure out where they are stored. The manual doesn't seem to offer an answer.

The "self-contained samples" folder only shows a handful of drum samples used in a ReDrum instance, but the bulk of the audio files, the ones I've imported by dragging them into audio tracks, aren't there. How do I extract them from the project file without having to individually bounce them from the edit window?

shrubs

30 Sep 2021

after searching through some older forum posts, I've found some people suggesting that audio files are stored within the project in an encrypted format that's inaccessible to the user. I hope this is not the case? Surely that can't be how Reason handles audio files.

Arrant
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2021

They are stored within the project files yes, I would guess they are not encrypted but stored in a raw binary, possibly compressed, format that is not simple for users to access.
You can shift-click the samples to select all for export, no problem there :cool:

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2021

Yes Audio is actually inside the Reason file, encoded using FLAC.

This makes reason projects very easy to share online but does mean that you can't just grab that audio and use it elsewhere.

Unless of course you right-click on a clip and Bounce to Disc.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

huggermugger

30 Sep 2021

They're embedded in the song file, that's why it's so big.

AFAIK, Reason is the only DAW that does this, and there's a reason for that. This monolithic approach to audio file management is impractical (for example, it makes an autobackup function silly when the original project is hundreds of MB or larger; also, getting at the originals, exactly what you want to do, is only possible by opening the project and jumping through hoops) and dangerous (when you've recorded your own sounds, if the file corrupts the recordings are lost too).

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2021

I like that all-in-one approach as it is super tidy and like I said portable.

That said, seeing memory issues seem to be increasing and causing large mixes/files to be impossible, it may be time for RS to consider off-boarding audio or offering it as an option - as Cakebalk did ages ago where you can create a "bundle" file which is portable without fear of the other fella messing up the audio folder location.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

huggermugger

30 Sep 2021

Benedict wrote:
30 Sep 2021
I like that all-in-one approach as it is super tidy and like I said portable.

That said, seeing memory issues seem to be increasing and causing large mixes/files to be impossible, it may be time for RS to consider off-boarding audio or offering it as an option - as Cakebalk did ages ago where you can create a "bundle" file which is portable without fear of the other fella messing up the audio folder location.

Making it optional would be brilliant. I too see the value in a bundled save, but for archiving purposes, not during the work process.

Biolumin3sc3nt

30 Sep 2021

Benedict, it's good to see you back

shrubs

30 Sep 2021

Well that's disappointing. I don't really see the value of this system — Logic does something similar, for instance, but if you want you can view the contents of a project package file and access the audio files. This just seems like a very anti-user way of handling audio.

Benedict
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2021

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
30 Sep 2021
Benedict, it's good to see you back
Thanks oh Shiny One
(sadly I see much is as it was :cry: )

Benedict Roff-Marsh

selig
RE Developer

01 Oct 2021

In other DAWs (specifically Pro Tools) I always have to consolidate and export because while the audio is available in folders, each punch in/take is a separate file. So to export as an example the lead vocal, I first have to consolidate the file into a single file then export. Reason actually save a step allowing you to export directly without consolidating first, and can do this for multiple files at once.
….so for most work, I don’t see this system as any sort of problem my common workflows.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information