Is it possible to do remixes with Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ninjadog

24 Sep 2021

I know Ableton Live excells at that sort of thing where one can import a beat or an Acapella and structure a song around it. I'm talking about a few minutes of sample not just a verse or a loop. I've pretty much missed the last 6 or 7 Reason upgrades and frankly I'm lost and can't seem to find an answer thru google about that.

Loque

24 Sep 2021

Erm...what did you tried yet in Reason?

Maybe just load the sample and chop it up as you like?
Reason12, Win10

drloop

24 Sep 2021

From my perspective if you would like to change tempo or edit the vocals Reason totally owns Ableton Live in sound quality.

The rest of the remix is depending on how you like to work.

nooomy

24 Sep 2021

Ninjadog wrote:
24 Sep 2021
I know Ableton Live excells at that sort of thing where one can import a beat or an Acapella and structure a song around it. I'm talking about a few minutes of sample not just a verse or a loop. I've pretty much missed the last 6 or 7 Reason upgrades and frankly I'm lost and can't seem to find an answer thru google about that.
The reason algorithm is much better at speeding up, slowing down and pitching up and down compared to the ableton one.

You get way less artifacts and a much more natural result in reason. You can check out my remixes on my soundcloud.

My favourite trick is to pitch down a disco track and make a nu disco remix from it.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/R93ZVVxw9iBPhJ2d7
Last edited by nooomy on 24 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

PhillipOrdonez

24 Sep 2021

You can do remixes on anything if you know what you're doing.

Ninjadog

24 Sep 2021

Well I haven't tried anything yet. I know with the NN19 or NNXT importing a whole song or just the acapella it would end up drifting off beat. I had better luck using my friend's Recycle and making Rex loops but I cant do that anymore. With Ableton you have those warp markers to fix the tempo into place. I thought I'd ask before I tried messing around with Mimic cause I'm going to have to to a bunch or reading up and watching tutorials since I don't know the software anymore. But I don't even know if what I want to do is possible with any instruments since version 7 yet.

Ninjadog

24 Sep 2021

nooomy wrote:
24 Sep 2021
Ninjadog wrote:
24 Sep 2021
The reason algorithm is much better at speeding up, slowing down and pitching up and down compared to the ableton one.

You get way less artifacts and a much more natural result in reason. You can check out my remixes on my soundcloud.

My favourite trick is to pitch down a disco track and make a nu disco remix from it.

What are you using to pitch down those vocals? Are you just making little phrases and putting them all together?

Ninjadog

24 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
24 Sep 2021
You can do remixes on anything if you know what you're doing.
There is my main problem haha, I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I took like a 13 year break from producing.

PhillipOrdonez

24 Sep 2021

You can load audio tracks on reasons sequencer now! 😂

You can cut it up, pitch it, if you got vocals you can pitch it melodyne style... You can bring stuff into mimic and mangle it... Whatever, remixes can have as much or as little of the original as you see fit. Nothing worse than a remix that has only the original parts, no, I prefer to use something from the original, usually the main element or elements, and build the rest on my own style around it. That's what I do anyway; I cut my teeth doing remixes in my early days producing; won a few remix contests from Beatport and djdownload.com, learned a ton thanks to doing remixes.

Ninjadog

24 Sep 2021

Oh shit! When did Reason be able to do that?

And thank you for the good news!!!

ekss
RE Developer

24 Sep 2021

Ninjadog wrote:
24 Sep 2021

Since Record, which I believe was merged with Reason 6.5(?) Around 2011 I think.😄

plaamook

24 Sep 2021

Ninjadog wrote:
24 Sep 2021

I think you might need to read the manual dude. It's a whole new world round here these days.
(Disney remix anyone?...)
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Ninjadog

24 Sep 2021

ekss wrote:
24 Sep 2021
Ninjadog wrote:
24 Sep 2021

Since Record, which I believe was merged with Reason 6.5(?) Around 2011 I think.😄
Yeah that's about when I fell right off :lol:
I was a avid user from Version 1 -4 then slowly kinda burnt out on producing. Got back on at 7 thinking it would inspire me, but the new mixer kinda lost me again.
Last edited by Ninjadog on 24 Sep 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Ninjadog

24 Sep 2021

plaamook wrote:
24 Sep 2021
Ninjadog wrote:
24 Sep 2021

I think you might need to read the manual dude. It's a whole new world round here these days.
(Disney remix anyone?...)
Yeah I definitely realize that...Started reading yesterday to find out where to drop Refills now, damn thing is so thick now and I assumed something like that would be near the start. In the meantime you can probably expect a few more questions that are dead obvious to most.

thefixr

25 Sep 2021

Ninjadog wrote:
24 Sep 2021
Not only can you remix in Reason, you can do realtime playing of the remixes. My channel is loaded with them ;-)

YouTube.com/iamthefixr

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2021

Indeed it is, Here is one I prepared earlier. I mixed the track then pulled parts out and created an '80s style Dub Mix for the client

A sample in an NN Sampler will not drift so long as you have the timings all correct. The reality tho was that a sample was hardly ever looped, it was retriggered every "loop" which you can hear and definitely feel in Public Enemy etc seeing the timing tends to lurch a bit. Very arresting.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

nooomy

25 Sep 2021

Ninjadog wrote:
24 Sep 2021
nooomy wrote:
24 Sep 2021

What are you using to pitch down those vocals? Are you just making little phrases and putting them all together?
You select the vocal sample or acapella and pitch it down in the sequencer.

Ninjadog

25 Sep 2021

thefixr wrote:
25 Sep 2021

Not only can you remix in Reason, you can do realtime playing of the remixes. My channel is loaded with them ;-)
Sweet performance dude. I knew I could do that sort of thing, I was talking more like a mashup type remix like putting my beats behind someones vocals but keeping the vocal track more intact.

Ninjadog

25 Sep 2021

Benedict wrote:
25 Sep 2021
Indeed it is, Here is one I prepared earlier. I mixed the track then pulled parts out and created an '80s style Dub Mix for the client

A sample in an NN Sampler will not drift so long as you have the timings all correct. The reality tho was that a sample was hardly ever looped, it was retriggered every "loop" which you can hear and definitely feel in Public Enemy etc seeing the timing tends to lurch a bit. Very arresting.

Thanks that songs inspiring. I realize what your saying, I just never had much luck importing like a 2 minute sample and being able to get the timings right I guess. I'm old school and I just want to do turntable style remixing where you beat match 2 things not really an EDM style remix where you take elements and tweak them.

For example in 2008 I wanted to make a dubstep style remix of this song
and I gave up trying to do it within Reason. I just wanted to keep the whole song as is and lay my stuff over top. Now if I had tactile ways to match the beat like turntable in front of me I could make it happen, using buttons and Reason insturments was simply too fustrating.

At any rate it's obvious to me I need to do some learning and experimenting.

PhillipOrdonez

25 Sep 2021

Ninjadog wrote:
25 Sep 2021
Benedict wrote:
25 Sep 2021

Thanks that songs inspiring. I realize what your saying, I just never had much luck importing like a 2 minute sample and being able to get the timings right I guess. I'm old school and I just want to do turntable style remixing where you beat match 2 things not really an EDM style remix where you take elements and tweak them.

For example in 2008 I wanted to make a dubstep style remix of this song
and I gave up trying to do it within Reason. I just wanted to keep the whole song as is and lay my stuff over top. Now if I had tactile ways to match the beat like turntable in front of me I could make it happen, using buttons and Reason insturments was simply too fustrating.

At any rate it's obvious to me I need to do some learning and experimenting.
All you need to do before importing the acapella is settibg Reason to the exact BPM of the original. Then you can change the tempo if you wish and it will stay locked. If you set the tempo after importing, you may run into trouble.

Ninjadog

25 Sep 2021

nooomy wrote:
25 Sep 2021

You select the vocal sample or acapella and pitch it down in the sequencer.
:lol: Seems simple enough...
I definitely need to dive deeper into the sequencer. My workflow was more about instruments controlled by matrixes and the sequencer just automated pattern changes and knobs.

Benedict
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2021

You can still do that even if you don't know BPM before:

Method 1:
  • Insert the Audio track. Be sure to set Stretch to OFF.
    Set the first visible Beat on a Bar marker (01:01:01, 05:01:01 etc)
    Check how (visual) beats are lining up with Bar markers later in the piece (use a metrognome if you like but best not now)
    Change the Tempo and aim to get at least the first few Bars lined up.
    Move to later in the piece and change Tempo in small ways until it is lined up
The limit here is if the piece is not rigidly to one tempo (only EDM/Rap usually is). If tempo changes you need to keep inserting tempo change events to adjust for each shift/ramp. "Come On Eileen" anyone hihi

Method 2:
  • Hurl your track into Mimic (ignoring all that BS about slices :twisted: )
    Assign a controller knob/wheel to the Speed setting
    Waggle controller just like you would a 1200 Platter
This method can still work with an NN Sampler with careful use of PitchBend amount. You may even find you want to create a CV Rig to set your +/- range as 1 semitone may be too much - I don't know how far a DJ deck will alter tuning.

As said above, it is all about finding your solutions. Remember that the first people in Breakbeat and ReMixing were making it up as they went along. This every artist should still be doing to some extent.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information