R12 flashes every 1/2 sec

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
brand

24 Sep 2021

So, I decided I'd bite the bullet and go for R12 stand alone. Upgrade from Suite 11.
I am running: iMAC - Mojave. 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7, Graphics: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.
I bought R12, and installed and authorized.
Launch R12. First, the splash screen is black.
Then, the initial project screen just quickly flashes on and off about every 1/2 sec., incessantly. The only thing to do, is to quit Reason.

I tried re-downloading the package, and re-installing. Same problem. Yikes! :shock:

I have 11 still installed alongside so I guess I'll use that for now, but hey, I just gave $129 !!
Anyone know why this is happening? If it's not some stupid thing I'm missing, and nobody has seen this, I'll raise a ticket.

I love Reason, and every DAW has it's issues. But this is too much. To pony up $129 and get a broken thing out of the box? Nah man.
If I can't get this fixed right away, I may switch. I'don't know.
S**t, I mighta known...

joeyluck

24 Sep 2021

That sucks. I didn't have these issues on Mojave. I'm on Catalina now.

I'm on a 2.2 GHz i7 MacBook Air, Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB.

Did you buy from RS? You have 30 days from the time you purchased it to return it.

Can't say I've noticed this specific behavior reported by others. You could join the beta if you can find out sooner if the next fix happens to resolve this issue for you. But hopefully the next fix won't be too far out.

Anything else weird? Anything else running? Any crazy behavior in Activity Monitor?

Billy+

24 Sep 2021

You're not alone and it's not limited to OS

I got someone using R+ On windows with nvidia gpu and all was fine in R11 but R12 has caused them to give up subscription for exactly the same reason "screen flashes constantly"

I was using cheap subscription but have rolled back to my perpetual R11 license and won't be trying R12 again until after January if at all.

What screen setup / configuration are you using?

brand

24 Sep 2021

joeyluck wrote:
24 Sep 2021
Anything else weird? Anything else running? Any crazy behavior in Activity Monitor?
Thanks. No, maybe just a browser window. I did do a direct download, so I guess I'll open a ticket. If it's not resolved in a month, I may just return it... I've been on Reason since 9, which I guess makes me a "baby", but this is really not on. I guess I could also try updating the OS (oh! joy!) :roll: I'll try to post an update as to what finally happens.

brand

24 Sep 2021

Billy+ wrote:
24 Sep 2021
You're not alone and it's not limited to OS

I got someone using R+ On windows with nvidia gpu and all was fine in R11 but R12 has caused them to give up subscription for exactly the same reason "screen flashes constantly"

I was using cheap subscription but have rolled back to my perpetual R11 license and won't be trying R12 again until after January if at all.

What screen setup / configuration are you using?
Well, s**t.
If you're asking about dual-screen, I am just using one; the iMAC Retina. I knew I couldn't be the only one... Meantime, I opened a ticket with RS. I'm happy to have it fixed and use it. I will use 11 Suite for now, and if they can't resolve it in a month, I'll probably have to return it.
A fix further down the road? Well, my theory about DAWS is this: DAW companies don't want people switching DAWs. I know some people switch, then come back to Reason. But many just move on I think. If the company is putting out a stable product, most DAWs do what they all do. So if you go for say, Logic, and it's all "Happy Trees" generally, you'll go on using Logic 'til the cows come home. I really want to stay with Reason. But I admit to being just as fickle as anyone.

Ninjadog

24 Sep 2021

I have the same issue but flashes every 30 seconds to a few minutes randomly. Even if Reason 12 is open and I'm watching a Youtube vid or something it happens. I'm on Win 10, Ryzen 5 2600 and RX570 GPU, ASUS TUF VG27A monitor
Contacted support and they told me to install a logging version of Reason. I'm not into messing around with that. I guess I can live with a few random flashes here and there, but I'm not happy about it.

brand

24 Sep 2021

It's so ridiculous.
If they ask me to install some sort of logging version, I guess I could. I mean the program just bugs out right from launch. You're getting a flash every 30 sec? I think 'm being generous when I say flash every 1/2 sec. Probably more like a flash every 0.25 sec. I open old 11 Suite, and no problem as always. The difference in flashing frequency you have may be differences between MacOS, and PC.

This is reinforcing my belief that RS released this too soon, too buggy. I know companies have to finally say, "Well, we can't wait forever." But I can't tell you how many times I have seen this in various businesses. It's penny wise and pound foolish in my view. Sometimes, software is not ready for prime time yet, no matter that the launch date is here or not. For now I can pretend that there was a zombie apocalypse, and I just have 11 Suite - like forever. 11 Suite could probably keep me going for quite a while.

It's just that you plunk down $130, and install, and in a minute, you see it does not work at all. That's not very nice.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2021

brand wrote:
24 Sep 2021
It's so ridiculous.
If they ask me to install some sort of logging version, I guess I could. I mean the program just bugs out right from launch. You're getting a flash every 30 sec? I think 'm being generous when I say flash every 1/2 sec. Probably more like a flash every 0.25 sec. I open old 11 Suite, and no problem as always. The difference in flashing frequency you have may be differences between MacOS, and PC.

This is reinforcing my belief that RS released this too soon, too buggy. I know companies have to finally say, "Well, we can't wait forever." But I can't tell you how many times I have seen this in various businesses. It's penny wise and pound foolish in my view. Sometimes, software is not ready for prime time yet, no matter that the launch date is here or not. For now I can pretend that there was a zombie apocalypse, and I just have 11 Suite - like forever. 11 Suite could probably keep me going for quite a while.

It's just that you plunk down $130, and install, and in a minute, you see it does not work at all. That's not very nice.
You are right, this has been released too soon. There's a thread where RS staff addresses this, giving their reasons for releasing it early (though I think it was a massive mistake to not disclose this before people had spent money).

But ... if you don't run the logging version, RS cannot address the behaviour. It's as good as not reporting the bug at all.

There are thousands of unique details that differ between machines, and it could be any number of them causing differences in behaviour.

It could be caused by a 20-year-old bug that is only being triggered now because the old GUI system was somehow covering it up.

Either way, if people dig their heels and don't run the logging version when they encounter a bug, RS will have no way to fix it (the bug might not happen on any of their machines, even if it's the same hardware spec and OS version).

As far as I'm concerned, R12 isn't out yet - but there is a preview edition you can install for the cost of a purchase or an upgrade 🙈

But it might be in your own self-interest to run the logging version, so that they can see what's happening on your machine and fix it.

moneykube

24 Sep 2021

hope the word "obey" doesn't pop up in the flash or oh oh... crazy problem though... it would be extremely annoying to say the least
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

chrischrischris

24 Sep 2021

brand wrote:
24 Sep 2021
So, I decided I'd bite the bullet and go for R12 stand alone. Upgrade from Suite 11.
I am running: iMAC - Mojave. 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7, Graphics: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.
Then, the initial project screen just quickly flashes on and off about every 1/2 sec., incessantly. The only thing to do, is to quit Reason.

I tried re-downloading the package, and re-installing. Same problem. Yikes! :shock:

I have 11 still installed alongside so I guess I'll use that for now, but hey, I just gave $129 !!
Anyone know why this is happening? If it's not some stupid thing I'm missing, and nobody has seen this, I'll raise a ticket.

I love Reason, and every DAW has it's issues. But this is too much. To pony up $129 and get a broken thing out of the box? Nah man.
S**t, I mighta known...
Same issue here!

Reported it last week, well earlier this week and still waiting for a reply,

Also posted in The BET a forum but there are very few comments so far.

Ninjadog

24 Sep 2021

brand wrote:
24 Sep 2021
It's so ridiculous.

That sucks man, sometimes I'll go like 5 or 10 minutes without a flash, sometimes it's way more frequent. It doesn't seem to crash or do anything else except mildly annoy me.

PhillipOrdonez

25 Sep 2021

Thankfully you don't suffer from a condition triggered by light flashing repeatedly. 😱

brand

25 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
25 Sep 2021
Thankfully you don't suffer from a condition triggered by light flashing repeatedly. 😱
:lol: - But I can tell you this: If I watch the Reason project console flash 4 times per second, I'd soon develop such a condition.

PhillipOrdonez

25 Sep 2021

brand wrote:
25 Sep 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
25 Sep 2021
:lol: - But I can tell you this: If I watch the Reason project console flash 4 times per second, I'd soon develop such a condition.
Haha! Well, I honestly don't have a clue but my guess is such conditions aren't actually caused by flashing lights right? 🤔 Better ask a neurologist or something 🤷‍♂️

brand

25 Sep 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
25 Sep 2021
Haha! Well, I honestly don't have a clue but my guess is such conditions aren't actually caused by flashing lights right? 🤔 Better ask a neurologist or something 🤷‍♂️
Well, thanks sincerely for your concern. On balance, I think I'll skip the neurologist this time, and just not click the Reason 12 icon. That way, I won't get that "Andromeda Strain" thing happening.

KGB

01 Oct 2021

brand wrote:
24 Sep 2021

S**t, I mighta known...
I'm getting the flashing lights issue on my MacBook Pro (Catalina)..it looks like blinding stage lights flashing lights Kanye flashing lights.
It doesn't happen all of the time, but when it does all I can do is save and quit.

I've tried almost all of the popular DAWs software out there, and personally for my workflow and brain, nothing beats Reason.

I hope RS fixes these issues soon, I feel your pain.

plaamook

03 Oct 2021

I’m bumping this since I’ve got the black screens but no flashing. Bad scrolling hangs and a crash though. Entirely unusable.
Mojave os on a 13”MacBook Pro.

I just wanna encourage people to get the logging version. It’s only 1.5gb file and pretty straight forward. I got an assert right away on starting reason. Reporting this stuff properly is the only way forward w this stuff however you may feel about the lack of professionalism w this release.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

brand

03 Oct 2021

I was able to download the recent 12.2.1d50 update (clicking through the flashing), but the flashing issue persists.
I updated the ticket and attached a clip as well.
It's been a week. I don't consider that unreasonable, but you know, a week. And this is for the flagship product in a shiny new version.
Just...wow. :-|

plaamook

03 Oct 2021

brand wrote:
03 Oct 2021
I was able to download the recent 12.2.1d50 update (clicking through the flashing), but the flashing issue persists.
I updated the ticket and attached a clip as well.
It's been a week. I don't consider that unreasonable, but you know, a week. And this is for the flagship product in a shiny new version.
Just...wow. :-|
You still getting the black flash screen and or preferences screen and or login screen?
Have you tried the logging version?

Or here.

brand

03 Oct 2021

plaamook wrote:
03 Oct 2021
You still getting the black flash screen and or preferences screen and or login screen?
Yup, still getting that. I haven't tried the logging version. I'm not sure where it is on the site, but I guess I'd be open to installing it, if that's what they want. Right now, it's like radio silence on my ticket.

plaamook

03 Oct 2021

brand wrote:
03 Oct 2021
plaamook wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Yup, still getting that. I haven't tried the logging version. I'm not sure where it is on the site, but I guess I'd be open to installing it, if that's what they want. Right now, it's like radio silence on my ticket.
Ok I'm not sure about this, i mentioned it on another thread but got no reply. Hang on...(clears his throat...)

Does anyone know if it's ok to give someone like this the logging version or is there a place to DL it?

...see what we get.

I grew up in West Long Branch by the way :cool:

Or here.

plaamook

04 Oct 2021

I just tried the Logging version again and hey! I've got the flashing now too!!!
I was feeling sort of left out there for a minute there...

Or here.

brand

04 Oct 2021

plaamook wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Ok I'm not sure about this, i mentioned it on another thread but got no reply. Hang on...(clears his throat...)
Does anyone know if it's ok to give someone like this the logging version or is there a place to DL it?
...see what we get.
:lol: :lol: But really, thanks. I expect RS will (?) advise me if they want me to load up the logging version.
I am here in Central NJ :ugeek:, thankfully with a working 11 Suite, since R12 is (quite literally) on the "blink."

brand

04 Oct 2021

Not only that. but my name is also Eric.

plaamook

04 Oct 2021

brand wrote:
04 Oct 2021
plaamook wrote:
03 Oct 2021
...see what we get.
:lol: :lol: But really, thanks. I expect RS will (?) advise me if they want me to load up the logging version.
I am here in Central NJ :ugeek:, thankfully with a working 11 Suite, since R12 is (quite literally) on the "blink."
No point now, since I've now got the flashing too, with my asserts I've got you covered bro!

Or here.

• Information