Increased fan noise with Reason 12?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

24 Sep 2021

Adabler wrote:
23 Sep 2021
Did you add redrum to the rack?
Ok. Took me a moment to get that joke :clap:
Reason12, Win10

kitekrazy

24 Sep 2021

After reading the title I thought the fan noise was due to people really liking the track.

fullforce

24 Sep 2021

eiresurfer wrote:
23 Sep 2021
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has seen an increase in the level of fan noise on their machines with R12? I have a decent laptop - Lenovo Legion 5, 16GB Ram, nvidia RTX GeForce 2060 graphics card.

The problem is that it may have been the same on R11, but I didn't pay much attention. I tried to re-install R11 to compare, but my login no longer works on version 11 (which shouldn't be the case in my opinion, I should be able to downgrade if I've paid for it, but that's another story).

With Reason 12, and the high def graphics, I'm suddenly wondering if this has resulted in some more fan noise, but like I said, I'm not sure.
That's the fan on the back of the Redrum.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

moofi

25 Sep 2021

So the knobs´ shadows for example are merely prerendered textures?
fieldframe wrote:
23 Sep 2021
moofi wrote:
23 Sep 2021
As far as I remember it´s a 3D engine rendering the devices in RT, thus not only static images like a texture.

Yes and no. Being GPU-accelerated, it's like a 3D engine in that it's doing the same thing a 3D engine would: using hardware acceleration to push textured triangles to the screen. That's where the similarities end, though. The triangles Reason is rendering are big, flat ones assembled into quads with super-high-res textures and no lighting, shadows, shaders, etc. In effect, it's acting more as a compositor than a 3D engine, even if it's using the same graphics pipeline.

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2021

If your GPU is being used now, that heat from the GPU will affect temperatures in your system.

Previously all of the graphics were handled by the cpu.

Personally, I'm using a dell g3 laptop(8750h cpu + 1050ti) . I have a big fan that it sits on top of, and it seems to stay cool. I never hear the fan really. I also have other background noise in my apartment, so maybe that's why. (a giant ceiling vent fan that is noisy as can be, hasn't been changed in 50 years)

This fan noise would completely disappear if I had closed back headphones.

Creativemind

25 Sep 2021

Adabler wrote:
23 Sep 2021
:lol:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jam-s

25 Sep 2021

eiresurfer wrote:
23 Sep 2021
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has seen an increase in the level of fan noise on their machines with R12? I have a decent laptop - Lenovo Legion 5, 16GB Ram, nvidia RTX GeForce 2060 graphics card.

The problem is that it may have been the same on R11, but I didn't pay much attention. I tried to re-install R11 to compare, but my login no longer works on version 11 (which shouldn't be the case in my opinion, I should be able to downgrade if I've paid for it, but that's another story).

With Reason 12, and the high def graphics, I'm suddenly wondering if this has resulted in some more fan noise, but like I said, I'm not sure.
I suppose the GPU fan might spin up a little bit as the GPU is now doing some work instead of not doing any dedicated work with Reason 11.

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 Sep 2021

moofi wrote:
25 Sep 2021
fieldframe wrote:
23 Sep 2021

Yes and no. Being GPU-accelerated, it's like a 3D engine in that it's doing the same thing a 3D engine would: using hardware acceleration to push textured triangles to the screen. That's where the similarities end, though. The triangles Reason is rendering are big, flat ones assembled into quads with super-high-res textures and no lighting, shadows, shaders, etc. In effect, it's acting more as a compositor than a 3D engine, even if it's using the same graphics pipeline.
Correct. All knobs and faders on Reason devices are made up of “filmstrip” images of up to 64 frames (unless they’re rendered as flat shapes as part of a “screen” in which case they may be vector). It may seem inefficient at first, but think about how long levels can take to load in games!

avasopht
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2021

Many popular GUI libraries use GPU accelerated rendering without it using much GPU resources (but I think RS have rolled out their own, plus this is pre-release so might be using more than the final version).

Hopefully, the kinks will be ironed out by January.

rorystorm

25 Sep 2021

I've had louder fan noise on my laptop as well altho they probably also need a clean 🤔. But I've just been doing some work right now mixing some songs and the grill on my fans is super hot which a bit of a worry.

moofi

29 Sep 2021

Thank you for the info. So is there any RT-3D-Rendering at all?
fieldframe wrote:
25 Sep 2021
moofi wrote:
25 Sep 2021

Correct. All knobs and faders on Reason devices are made up of “filmstrip” images of up to 64 frames (unless they’re rendered as flat shapes as part of a “screen” in which case they may be vector). It may seem inefficient at first, but think about how long levels can take to load in games!

stratatonic

29 Sep 2021

Yes.

Jackjackdaw

03 Oct 2021

Definitely getting loads of fan action on my laptop. It was chugging away last night with just a Kong and a Kompulsion. Its eating through the battery as well.

rootwheel

03 Oct 2021

avasopht wrote:
25 Sep 2021
Many popular GUI libraries use GPU accelerated rendering without it using much GPU resources (but I think RS have rolled out their own, plus this is pre-release so might be using more than the final version).

I love your optimism that this is just a 'pre-release' and we'll get the real 'finished' stable version next year. I really hope you're right but my fear is that Reason Studios may perhaps have bitten off more than they can chew with the major rewrite work that's gone into Reason 12 - and it could be some considerable time before we see a fully stable version of Reason again...

Jackjackdaw

03 Oct 2021

If I was new to Reason and just forked out £500 for this I would be looking for a refund. My mind boggles as to why they didn’t keep it in the bag a bit longer.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2021

rootwheel wrote:
03 Oct 2021
avasopht wrote:
25 Sep 2021

I love your optimism that this is just a 'pre-release' and we'll get the real 'finished' stable version next year. I really hope you're right but my fear is that Reason Studios may perhaps have bitten off more than they can chew with the major rewrite work that's gone into Reason 12 - and it could be some considerable time before we see a fully stable version of Reason again...
They've said themselves that it was released early and not finished. The roadmap indicates January is when it will be ready.

There are lots of bugs indicative of memory corruption (and some bugs giving clues to the cause). 90% of them might all be caused by just one or two lines of code.

I experienced this myself when deploying a new GUI system and got burned by code written before I'd joined.

These are the types of bug that just require a bit of hunting for what's corrupting the memory.

avasopht
Competition Winner

03 Oct 2021

Jackjackdaw wrote:
03 Oct 2021
If I was new to Reason and just forked out £500 for this I would be looking for a refund. My mind boggles as to why they didn’t keep it in the bag a bit longer.
Precisely.

They also could have just been upfront about it.

Imagine if they had instead said, "Reason 12 will be coming out in January with a new increased price, but we're also making it available as a pre release while we iron out bugs and finalise features (for at old price until September 30th)!"

ColdSkoolBeatz

03 Oct 2021

Adabler wrote:
23 Sep 2021
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

dvdrtldg

04 Oct 2021

This GPU fan thing is pretty bad on my machine, which is a 2020 MacBook Pro. At first I tried to ignore it, but really it's loud as fuck and can get pretty annoying when working with low volume levels. Hoping for a fix soon, it kinda sucks

FiatLux

04 Oct 2021

I have two desktop iMacs both pretty recent and also have a 2020 MacBook Pro.
All three of them have issues with the fan going into overdrive, even when doing nothing.
I have gone back to 11 Suite for the moment, until this issue is worked out.

plaamook

05 Oct 2021

avasopht wrote:
03 Oct 2021
Imagine if they had instead said, "Reason 12 will be coming out in January with a new increased price, but we're also making it available as a pre release while we iron out bugs and finalise features (for at old price until September 30th)!"
Yep. That's exactly what I imagine.
Whatever get's you through the night eh?
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

stratatonic

25 Oct 2021

The fan will go on in R12. The increase in CPU is 3-4x greater than 11.39. R12 will just eat away at my comp over time. :( So I'm mostly on Reason 11 currently.

• Information