Increased fan noise with Reason 12?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eiresurfer

23 Sep 2021

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has seen an increase in the level of fan noise on their machines with R12? I have a decent laptop - Lenovo Legion 5, 16GB Ram, nvidia RTX GeForce 2060 graphics card.

The problem is that it may have been the same on R11, but I didn't pay much attention. I tried to re-install R11 to compare, but my login no longer works on version 11 (which shouldn't be the case in my opinion, I should be able to downgrade if I've paid for it, but that's another story).

With Reason 12, and the high def graphics, I'm suddenly wondering if this has resulted in some more fan noise, but like I said, I'm not sure.

Loque

23 Sep 2021

No, no difference.
Reason12, Win10

Adabler
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2021

Did you add redrum to the rack?
:reason: 12, Win10

RoryM0

23 Sep 2021

eiresurfer wrote:
23 Sep 2021
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has seen an increase in the level of fan noise on their machines with R12? I have a decent laptop - Lenovo Legion 5, 16GB Ram, nvidia RTX GeForce 2060 graphics card.

The problem is that it may have been the same on R11, but I didn't pay much attention. I tried to re-install R11 to compare, but my login no longer works on version 11 (which shouldn't be the case in my opinion, I should be able to downgrade if I've paid for it, but that's another story).

With Reason 12, and the high def graphics, I'm suddenly wondering if this has resulted in some more fan noise, but like I said, I'm not sure.
Yes I have definitely noticed this on mine. Feels llike computer is working harder than R10 (I didn't have R11).

Noise
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2021

Yes, I confirm V12 triggers more my CPU Fan. I'm on a desktop I9900k
Can't remember this issue on V11, maybe because it won't trigger so easily.
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Loque

23 Sep 2021

Mac or Windows?
Reason12, Win10

Arrant
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2021

Since R12 takes advantage of the GPU, are you sure you’re not hearing the GPU fan? These are often more powerful and loud than CPU fans.

eiresurfer

23 Sep 2021

Yeah, I was thinking the GPU fan might be kicking in. But, to be honest, it shouldn't be that heavy on graphics, as it's really just (mostly) high def static images that are being rendered (as opposed to what it would be rendering in a game).

QVprod

23 Sep 2021

If you’re one of the unlucky ones with heavier cpu load then that would explain higher fan noise.

eiresurfer

23 Sep 2021

QVprod wrote:
23 Sep 2021
If you’re one of the unlucky ones with heavier cpu load then that would explain higher fan noise.
Actually, I don't think I am - the CPU meter is staying fairly low. That said, it might have been just as bad in R11, but I can't compare it.

SoundObjects

23 Sep 2021

I have this fan noise shortly eg. when open the RRP.
It's properly the graphic card doing some initializeing work
when opening rack synths.
The GPU shows a short spike in the performance monitor
but the CPU seems to be unaffected.
The Universe Is Vibrating

Neo

23 Sep 2021

I definitely noticed that myself.
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

adfielding

23 Sep 2021

eiresurfer wrote:
23 Sep 2021
Yeah, I was thinking the GPU fan might be kicking in. But, to be honest, it shouldn't be that heavy on graphics, as it's really just (mostly) high def static images that are being rendered (as opposed to what it would be rendering in a game).
I wouldn't rule that out as a distinct possibility. Although Reason 12 might not be particular GPU intensive, a little use is stil greater than "none" which is (by my understanding) where it would have sat before. Given that you're using a traditional fan-cooled laptop, there's not a whole lot of wiggle room when it comes to physically dissipating air, so you're going to see a quicker rise in temperature when the GPU kicks in - which means, in this case, you're much more likely to experience GPU fans whirring under any sort of load than you would on a desktop.

It might be worth seeing if there's a way to increase the temperature threshold at which the GPU fan kicks in - a slight increase could make a bit of a difference here while keeping temperatures within safe levels. Of course, that depends entirely on whether you're comfortable with that idea.

eiresurfer

23 Sep 2021

adfielding wrote:
23 Sep 2021
eiresurfer wrote:
23 Sep 2021
I wouldn't rule that out as a distinct possibility. Although Reason 12 might not be particular GPU intensive, a little use is stil greater than "none" which is (by my understanding) where it would have sat before. Given that you're using a traditional fan-cooled laptop, there's not a whole lot of wiggle room when it comes to physically dissipating air, so you're going to see a quicker rise in temperature when the GPU kicks in - which means, in this case, you're much more likely to experience GPU fans whirring under any sort of load than you would on a desktop.

It might be worth seeing if there's a way to increase the temperature threshold at which the GPU fan kicks in - a slight increase could make a bit of a difference here while keeping temperatures within safe levels. Of course, that depends entirely on whether you're comfortable with that idea.
I'm definitely NOT comfortable with that idea! :-)

I'll have to save up to buy a Macbook with an M1 chip.

Until then, it's not that bad, more of a slight annoyance.

gullum

23 Sep 2021

I have an intel Mac Mini and I'm not even sure if it has a fan because I havn't heard it yet

SoundObjects

23 Sep 2021

The wind noise outside my window is fare more annoying than this. ;)
The Universe Is Vibrating

arnigretar

23 Sep 2021

Adabler wrote:
23 Sep 2021
:lol:
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

moofi

23 Sep 2021

As far as I remember it´s a 3D engine rendering the devices in RT, thus not only static images like a texture.
eiresurfer wrote:
23 Sep 2021

artotaku

23 Sep 2021

Yes, Win10 with an Intel Graphics UHD 630 here, it may be related the CPU or GPU 0 3D which is around 30 % all the time in a project with quite a few devices.
GPU decreases if song is not playing, though.
gpu.png
gpu.png (16.45 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
Last edited by artotaku on 23 Sep 2021, edited 2 times in total.

fieldframe
RE Developer

23 Sep 2021

moofi wrote:
23 Sep 2021
As far as I remember it´s a 3D engine rendering the devices in RT, thus not only static images like a texture.
eiresurfer wrote:
23 Sep 2021
Yes and no. Being GPU-accelerated, it's like a 3D engine in that it's doing the same thing a 3D engine would: using hardware acceleration to push textured triangles to the screen. That's where the similarities end, though. The triangles Reason is rendering are big, flat ones assembled into quads with super-high-res textures and no lighting, shadows, shaders, etc. In effect, it's acting more as a compositor than a 3D engine, even if it's using the same graphics pipeline.

eiresurfer

23 Sep 2021

I think it's more CPU for me.

My task manager is showing:
CPU: around 40-50%
GPU: around 10-20%

The fan noise tends to vary a lot. Goes quite high for a few minutes after starting Reason. But can go down a bit sometimes as well.

honeyBadger

23 Sep 2021

Same here, especially on startup the fans go crazy in my desktop, never had that happen before with previous versions, pretty disappointing, it’s like running a game in high settings.

StephenHutchinson

23 Sep 2021

Absolutely... in fact... literally 30 seconds before I saw this post, I was thinking how nice and quiet the last week has been using Reason 11 rather than Reason 12 (on both my Mac and PC)... and voom! Here we are. Even if I just open up Reason 12 and do absolutely nothing, the fans rev up and don't stop until I close it. Both my Mac and PC don't have anything but internal integrated graphics.
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
Sound Design & Music Content Creation
Sound Dimension :: https://www.sounddimension.io

kbard

24 Sep 2021

Yep I just run a R12 demo on laptop. Windoes 10 machine. Fan speed is more prominent then on R11 no question about it. As if it goes on the whole time. Same project on R11 and it's fine somehow. Weird as I never noticed it on my main machine (ryzen 5900).

Majestik Monkey

24 Sep 2021

Adabler wrote:
23 Sep 2021
:lol: ............... :clap:

• Information